Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Rhodes

A player who was once hot property at this level and who is desperate to succeed after a couple of bang average seasons. From what I gave seen so far is odd glimpses of his better days and he is trying hard but in a role he is not suited to. He needs to be playing off a big striker to give him the chances not try and be a target man. Pukki is excellent but they are being strarved od any meaningful service and chances. At the moment if given the opportunity I don''t think Rhodes would be worth half the £10m transfer fee or half the reported £50 000 a week that the owls paid

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]A player who was once hot property at this level and who is desperate to succeed after a couple of bang average seasons. From what I gave seen so far is odd glimpses of his better days and he is trying hard but in a role he is not suited to. He needs to be playing off a big striker to give him the chances not try and be a target man. Pukki is excellent but they are being strarved od any meaningful service and chances. At the moment if given the opportunity I don''t think Rhodes would be worth half the £10m transfer fee or half the reported £50 000 a week that the owls paid[/quote] So a team which are currently in the top five in the league for shots per game, top four in the league for shots on target per game, and top six for goals per game, are starving their strikers of any meaningful service and chances? 

Tony Cottee covering the game for sky last week said the same thing. That Rhodes is a quality player at this level but needed help up there and was not suited to the formation

Disagree. Generally we have created chances for Rhodes so far. Leeds and Preston less so, admittedly.

Well I am talking about Rhodes he didn''t have a sniff of a chance against Preston or Leeds. He is feeding off scraps. Pukki has the ability to make things happen himself. Rhodes did ok in the WBA game and had other chances and the penalty miss was a shame for him and the team. At home since then he has looked somewhat out if sorts

From what I have seen of him he works incredibly hard and he has scored 2 goals in 5 games which translated over he season would come to 18 goals at least for a season. Gave as good as he got against Preston who did a job on him to try and keep him quiet.  When the chances do come he will score a good percentage. Same with Pukki. 

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 2018-08-28 11:11 AM:

Yorkshire Canary wrote:

A player who was once hot property at this level and who is desperate to succeed after a couple of bang average seasons. From what I gave seen so far is odd glimpses of his better days and he is trying hard but in a role he is not suited to. He needs to be playing off a big striker to give him the chances not try and be a target man. Pukki is excellent but they are being strarved od any meaningful service and chances. At the moment if given the opportunity I don''t think Rhodes would be worth half the £10m transfer fee or half the reported £50 000 a week that the owls paid

So a team which are currently in the top five in the league for shots per game, top four in the league for shots on target per game, and top six for goals per game, are starving their strikers of any meaningful service and chances?

Rather than rely on the stats quoted, as does Mr Farke, try attending Carrow Road. You might just learn something to your advantage!

He''s had chances he''s just not finishing them.

Should have scored against Birmingham, missed a penalty against West Brom, could easily be on 4 or 5 goals.

For a supposed poacher he hasn''t looked very clinical so far.

Rhodes is a goal poacher nothing more and nothing less, never has been anything else and never will be but against Leeds we defended at least 3 corners in the second half that i noticed with 11 men in our box obviously that included Rhodes so when the ball was cleared we had no outlet and back into the box it came again. Now i wonder what genius gave him that tactical gem to play with ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Rhodes is a goal poacher nothing more and nothing less, never has been anything else and never will be but against Leeds we defended at least 3 corners in the second half that i noticed with 11 men in our box obviously that included Rhodes so when the ball was cleared we had no outlet and back into the box it came again. Now i wonder what genius gave him that tactical gem to play with ?[/quote]

I cannot remember a game where Farke hasn''t had all 11 players in the box for a corner or free kick, and invariably the opposition still score. Firstly we have strikers in there who get in the way of defenders and secondly if we do head it out it comes straight back in again. Just for once I would like to see Farke leave two of our quicker players on the halfway line, at least the box would not be so congested and our defenders might stand a chance of picking up the runners.

I didn''t want Rhodes five years ago and hes well, five years older. I''ve not seen a player who is "desperate to succeed" either.

I''m confused by the love affair around Pukki too. Done nothing that screams to me that he is a player to get us out of this mess.

[quote user="City 2nd"]westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 2018-08-28 11:11 AM:

Yorkshire Canary wrote:

So a team which are currently in the top five in the league for shots per game, top four in the league for shots on target per game, and top six for goals per game, are starving their strikers of any meaningful service and chances?

Rather than rely on the stats quoted, as does Mr Farke, try attending Carrow Road. You might just learn something to your advantage![/quote] 
Rather than resorting to that tired old excuse for not addressing the actual content of a post, why not ask yourself why there is such a discrepancy between the stats and the views expressed here about City''s service to Rhodes and Pukki, and chance creation? 
More generally, rather than apparently taking for granted the accuracy of your subjective impressions, why not test their accuracy against other available forms of evidence? That''s what Mr Farke does, and that''s what I do. And I guess you must have noticed that Mr Farke does this even though he does "attend" every league match, home or away. If you don''t understand why he and his fellow managers and coaches take stats seriously, there''s nothing more to be said.

[quote user="CDMullins"]I didn''t want Rhodes five years ago and hes well, five years older. I''ve not seen a player who is "desperate to succeed" either.

I''m confused by the love affair around Pukki too. Done nothing that screams to me that he is a player to get us out of this mess.[/quote]

Have to agree with this. I think the desperation for Pukki and Rhodes to succeed causes fans to overreact at any average performance.

Pukki can certainly finish, but I don''t know why is being played as a number 10. He''s been an out an out striker for the last three years at Bronby. Is this a case square pegs in round holes from Farke again?

People will say its intricate and intelligent approach play that better serves him in the 10 role, but in reality his anonymous for large spells of the game.

I''d like to see Pukki played up top instead of Rhodes, with Buendia in the 10 role.