Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

German culture applied to football

Came across this statement about German culture and it''s a fairly well recognised thing -
"Core German cultural values are discipline, efficiency, hard work and

planning.  In Germany, things tend to be done properly and on time while

expectations are always high.  These are well-known traits of German

culture, yet expats who are living and working in Germany may still find

it hard to adapt to these values."
With the German influence very strong at our club, it isn''t far fetched to think that some non-german players will be finding it hard to adapt to what is required in the above terms.   That is why the younger players should have an advantage - as long as they buy into the methods.  Younger players will be easier to mould into shape than older pros - but they will have to want to adapt, otherwise it is pointless them being here.
That older players will find it harder, but will of course adapt - if they want to - and again, if they don''t want to there''s no point them being here.
It is going to take a while longer for it to work - that much should be obvious to everyone, but work it can - as long as the players are committed to it.  I get the impression that one or two are struggling with the discipline of the style at the moment, but there is enough quality there for us to get over that, with time.  A win or two will have an amazing effect on the team and it''s outlook and it is always easier to smile and be happy with your football if you are winning - just need to get that kick start. We showed a lot of strength of character to win against Preston and started confidently against Leeds.  There are positive signs, we just need to stick with it and see it through.

That''s all well and good LDC, but many of the players who have been here since Farke was appointed appear to have failed to ''adjust'' despite having a year to do so.
Pinto is still a defensive liability, Hanley is now looking worse than ever, Klose hasn''t got going either this season, and Trybull and Leitner who should absolutely be ok with this have similarly looked ineffective as well.
If we were talking weeks or even a couple of months I''d say you''d have a very fair point, but it''s FAR longer than that and the only players who seem to be doing ok are the younger lads like Maddison and Lewis, yet we''ve really only just seen Thompson (who looked good pre-season) and no idea where Godfrey is for that matter (who also looked good pre-season)...

LDC you obviously have not been following the story of the new Berlin Brandenburg Airport. Due to open in 2011 but because of poor construction planning, execution, management and corruption 2020 is the latest target date. I believe there was a monumental cock up over Fire Safety etc. As a local engineer told me fairly recently German Engineering is not quite as good as it is cracked up to be. !!

I agree with LDC it will take time, it can be very successful What is wrong with the German way is it needs everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.Club, fans, players must buy into a different philosophy. If not it can go wrong very quickly with no plan b.There are signs it is working but this will take years to change.Let''s all get behind the team.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It is going to take a while longer for it to work - that much should be obvious to everyone, but work it can - as long as the players are committed to it.  There are positive signs, we just need to stick with it and see it through.
[/quote]
It is not going to work and there are no positive signs.
As I posted midway through last season, you, and others like you, have been brainwashed by the BS coming out of Carrow Road.
Yes it is obvious that it''s "going to take a while longer for it to work" but if they persevere with it then neither you, or I, or Farke will live long enough to witness it.

So non-German styles of football don’t require the players to be disciplined, efficient, hard working or planned?

Absolute rubbish. Every footballer who has ever played in an even semi-professional team (and to be honest many amateur teams as well) needs to be disciplined and hard working, and the tactics and systems need to be planned.

I’m afraid it’s nothing to do with the discipline of the style, it’s all about the quality. Seemingly we were the better side for the first 20 mins against Leeds, but we didn’t have the quality to score. There were then individual mistakes from defenders switching off, players not covering and the goalkeeper making howlers.

Players not going with runners, ducking their heads out of the way of shots, not tucking in to cover for teammates who get dragged out of position, getting caught ball watching and making poor passes are nothing to do with the system.

I don’t necessairly think Farke’s style is the way to go in this division anyway, but I don’t think the current mess is all down to him. If he had better players who stopped making individual mistakes, who were switched on enough to follow their men, who were aware enough of their surroundings that they didn’t get caught ball watching and who were determined enough to get back in to cover for their teammates, then the style would work a lot better than it is doing currently.

As I’ve said elsewhere, it won’t take time for Farke’s style to work - these players aren’t good enough to make it work with all the coaching in the world. It will take investment in better players.

If we aren’t going to invest properly then we need a manager who knows how to win ugly in this division, because the squad isn’t good enough currently to win ‘prettily’.

Makes some sense Aggy, but when you put a German influence over a whole club as we have, we certainly are going to need players who are comfortable in the German style - and as much as you might think British players are disciplined and efficient, the evidence suggests that the German way of football requires a higher sense of efficiency than ours.  If it was not so, Germany would not have had so much success over the years in international football  and we would not have struggled so much - it is their trademark.   Efficency, technical excellence, attention to detail are all characteristics have been their way of football for many years - ours have been based on running, fitness, desire and hard work, not really the same.
Things may be changing as cultures cross, but there are still differences across different nations and in their characteristics of their football.

You only have to wonder into Norwich and see how poor german design and construction is. Bland Norwich Market where the rising roofs don''t work. And Roselane car park again built by Germans

Maybe German efficiency has reached its limits.

Otherwise, why did VW and others find it necessary to configure their vehicles so as to cheat on emissions targets?

Anyone who has watched much German football will know there isn''t one ''German way'' of playing. The football of Klopp and Wagner is nothing like that played by Tuchel or Farke for example.

I''d recommend reading ''Das Reboot'' for anyone interested in how German football has evolved from the old stereotype of dour, efficient football as personified by players like Lother Matthaus and the team that won Euro 96.