Sign in to follow this  

Max Aarons

Surely has to be in the squad for Sunday, if not starting at RB ahead of Pinto? Tremendous performance tonight.

I would think so. Say what you like about Farke, he does give youth a chance and had we not had him, it would have been unlikely that Madders would have played as much, if not at all, last season and Jamal and Max would still be languishing in the u23''s.

Maddison played because of injuries! Farke would never have played him as much, especially not earlier in the season... his goals and form may have helped him keep his place.

Most of us are prepared to criticise Farke when things go wrong, sometimes things which are outside of his control, we should equally be prepared to offer praise when thngs go well.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Maddison played because of injuries! Farke would never have played him as much, especially not earlier in the season... his goals and form may have helped him keep his place.[/quote]

And other managers would have tried Russ Martin in centre mid rather than chuck a young lad in, so my point is still a valid one.

[quote user="Van wink"]Most of us are prepared to criticise Farke when things go wrong, sometimes things which are outside of his control, we should equally be prepared to offer praise when thngs go well.[/quote]

Well said Van Wink!

"Maddison played because of injuries! Farke would never have played him as much, especially not earlier in the season... his goals and form may have helped him keep his place."

That is just not remotely true. Look at the bench for the Fulham game and you''ll see Farke had other options he chose Maddison over.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Maddison played because of injuries! Farke would never have played him as much, especially not earlier in the season... his goals and form may have helped him keep his place.[/quote]

Some more fake news.

There is a fair chance Maddison will be an England player in a couple of weeks time and the first 2 people he will be on the phone to to thank will be Webber and Farke.

Most of these lads will get their debut due to an injury, but rest assured whatever you may think of Webber and Farke they will be thoroughly prepared for their big day giving them every chance to become a squad player.

With both Maddison and Lewis if they were fit they played.

Aarons ( & Passlack) will get his chance if the coach thinks he is better than the alternatives. Good performances in the cup games and grafting on the training field will get him noticed, his time will come.

[quote user="king canary"]"Maddison played because of injuries! Farke would never have played him as much, especially not earlier in the season... his goals and form may have helped him keep his place."

That is just not remotely true. Look at the bench for the Fulham game and you''ll see Farke had other options he chose Maddison over.[/quote]
Yep, absolute fabrication. Maddison played all of pre-season with the starting 11 too.

I don''t think it is quite fair to say DF gives youth a chance.

Maddison was brilliant and even the most stubborn would have picked him.

Only Lewis was given a promotion and that was on Boxing Day.

Lewis can into the side once fit. He was not left languishing for half a season.

However it was a fairly simple choice as we were hardly strong at LB.

“I don''t think it is quite fair to say DF gives youth a chance.

Maddison was brilliant and even the most stubborn would have picked him. “

That would make Alex Neil worse than the most stubborn then

As for max its a tough one. At left back I think Lewis has made it his own

IF Pinto starts (which I expect he will) would you have Marshall or Aarons on the bench?

To me having both seems a little overkill to cover the full backs, I would rather not swap a FB for a FB (excl injury) and I always prefer to have more attacking rather than defensive options - and marshall gives us the option of both if needed.

Its a tough call but for me unless we are struggling for the homegrown rule he is probably unlikely to make my cut right now - but his chance will come and sooner rather than later.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I don''t think it is quite fair to say DF gives youth a chance.

Maddison was brilliant and even the most stubborn would have picked him.

Only Lewis was given a promotion and that was on Boxing Day.[/quote]
Maddison couldn''t get near the team before Farke arrived. He''d been on loan to Aberdeen until January, came back to fight for his place in January, turning down another loan move and made a total of 3 appearances in the second half of the season so I don''t think your assertion is anywhere close to accurate. Neil didn''t play him, nor did Irvine, despite him being fit and available from January onwards.
Lewis was picked out immediately by Farke/Webber and parachuted into the starting LB role. He excelled in pre-season and started every game pretty much. He got injured, and then was dropped straight back into the side as soon as he was fit. Not sure Farke should have played him injured just to give him a chance, but I fail to see what more he could do in terms of giving Lewis his chance aside from that.
I think largely, the rest comes down to who we have that is good enough. Think we''ve all probably sussed Carlton Morris is pretty unlikely to make the grade. Cantwell was brought into the first team picture by Farke before going out on loan and has been kept for this season. Godfrey also had a loan and is part of the first team picture this season. Murphy became a first choice player after being a squad player the year before (although tbf that was circumstances more than Farke''s impact)
 Remi was given a chance in pre-season and committed a string of howlers - yes, it seems like he was given short shrift, but the club have watched him during his loan move, they may have seen things they weren''t convinced about but decided to give him the chance anyway and let''s be honest - he totally blew his chance. He''s 24, he''s not a kid anymore.
There are a few more that will certainly be in the picture next season I would think, but probably aren''t there yet in terms of being ready. Spyrou, Idah and that CB who looks pretty commanding but can''t remember his name are ones that immediately spring to mind, plus all the kids we''re picking up after the top clubs release them - Mourgas and Phillips.
You can level criticism at Farke for an awful lot of things, but he has given the kids a chance every time he has had opportunity to do so. 

@KIo

Largely agree but Farke has had some odd moments- he admitted to having an unfit Reed on the bench one game last season and occasionally named 4 defenders on the bench rather than giving a youngster like Mourgas or Idah that spot.

[quote user="king canary"]@KIo

Largely agree but Farke has had some odd moments- he admitted to having an unfit Reed on the bench one game last season and occasionally named 4 defenders on the bench rather than giving a youngster like Mourgas or Idah that spot.[/quote]
Yeah, I can see that side of it, but the flip side to that is whether they are better off benchwarming and unlikely to get a game or playing for the U23s? I suspect that we will see a lot of the academy in the first team squad this season, especially as we''re close to the wire on homegrown quota (although then you end up wondering whether we''re not bothered about being close to the wire on homegrown as we want to give some of the kids a chance in the rotation [;)] )

How often do the U23s play on the same day as the 1st team though?

Genuine question as I can''t find the U23 fixture list online, well not on the main site.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]How often do the U23s play on the same day as the 1st team though?

Genuine question as I can''t find the U23 fixture list online, well not on the main site.[/quote]
Semi-regularly, but often play on Mondays/Tuesdays and Fridays too. Fridays and Saturdays would obviously rule out benchwarming duty, Mondays/Tuesdays is a bit more ambiguous I guess for Saturday games.

@KIO

I think missing one or two u23 games would be worth it to get the experience around the match day squad. Certainly more useful than naming 4 defenders on the bench.

It is a minor point though. Farke has shown a willingness to throw a player he thinks is ready right in there.

[quote user="king canary"]@KIO

I think missing one or two u23 games would be worth it to get the experience around the match day squad. Certainly more useful than naming 4 defenders on the bench.

It is a minor point though. Farke has shown a willingness to throw a player he thinks is ready right in there.[/quote]
Yep 100% agree.