Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Stringer and Farke

Ok, today''s lecture....
I got to thinking about the possession football we played so successfully in the late 80''s under Stringer and why it was so successful, even after he handed over to Walker.  The beauty of it was to see how it developed into a situation where much of the passing was instinctive - and that was mainly because of it being applied throughout the club over a period of years and as younger people came through, they fitted in easily to what was required.  It was effective, fun to see how we were able to keep the ball from the big teams a lot of the time and brought us success, culminating in the Euro campaign.  Even players like Jeremy Goss, who was not a fantastic player, was effective and performed heroically that season and beyond.
Fast forward to today and Farke''s methods and they are not so very different. The big difference is he has to get that high level teamwork - that instinctiveness - into a squad of players most of whom were not even Norwich players when he got here.  Even this season the whole front of the team is different to most of last season. 
Two points to go with that - one is that there will likely be more inconsistency this season - but that it should improve as team members gel more and get a bit more instinctiveness in the passing and better awareness of what other team members will do. The other point is that the resources we had in the late 80''s were far less than other clubs had in that division - but we were still able to compete and compete well. 
So the financial margins are a bit mad nowadays, but there is - imo - every reason to believe that with the strategy we are trying, we can buck the trend of the big money clubs and be successful.  Instinctiveness, crisp passing and moving, being able to know where team mates are going to be without looking etc etc takes time - and we are committed to that - so as long as we stick with that style, it will bear fruit in time - as it did for us in the 80''s, as it did for Swansea a few years ago. 
It can be done - other clubs buy in players because they have the money, but they do not always have the level of teamwork needed to get to the top and then the pressure grows on the managers, so they buy more players, then get another manager, the pressure stays and they still struggle and so it goes on - and some clubs never seem to be happy successful places.  Villa for example. Once a club with money does get it right in all departments, they get success.   We don''t have to put up with all that nonsense any more - we can simply get on with bedding in a style that will develop over time to be consistent at a high level of possession and effectiveness in attack - and that other clubs who are stuck in the manager merry go round trying to spend their way to glory cannot attain to. Yes, sometimes they will buy their success, but the genuine footballing clubs - like Swansea were, like we are trying to be, can have their success too - with an ethos which is far better than just having loads of money.

I watched all or nothing Manchester City on Amazon (its quite good) and it talks about how Pep''s ideology is possession based football with a lot of passing, i think similar to what we are trying here!

It worked for them, but they also have the players for it. I think this will only work if you''ve the players with the correct skill set, I''m not sure we''ve got that here yet.

I believe we are more suited to the sit back and wait, then go for the counter - this can be quite effective and would give more support for the defense. We''d also be drawing a lot more fouls and therefore could capitalize on set pieces.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Sounds all fine and dandy but we had better players back then.[/quote]Did we? I am inclined to think more along the lines of comparing our football club (and others in our league) in the early nineties and what the leagues are like now being two very different things.

LDC thanks for the lecture. Perhaps it worth comparing Chase’s record against Delia’s. You may agree that the former was far more successful than the latter

Cannot see any comparison between Stringer and Farke.

I remember Stringer''s teams playing not only a passing game but passing into space.

Farke''s style is to play to feet.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Cannot see any comparison between Stringer and Farke.

I remember Stringer''s teams playing not only a passing game but passing into space.

Farke''s style is to play to feet.[/quote]
I don''t think that''s strictly true. The goal Pukki scored against Preston was the result of a ball played across field for Lewis to run on to and in the other matches I''ve seen there has been plenty of through balls attempted.    There was a lot of passing to feet going on last season, but that is not the whole story of what is being attempted imo and there has been less of that this season, apart from Preston which was a tight nervous kind of game. 
Getting control of the ball is just the basics and a more expansive style has to develop from that stand point and my memories are that the passing style of Stringer started out as a possession based game and developed on to a more attacking style as time wore on.

[quote user="king canary"]The goal Pukki scored was almost anti-Farke football.[/quote]

Exactly this it was the exception not the norm

We were nothing like this, ever, not under stringer or anybody else

[quote user="king canary"]The goal Pukki scored was almost anti-Farke football.[/quote]

Exactly this it was the exception not the norm

We were nothing like this, ever, not under stringer or anybody else

LDC,

Your daily dose of never ending optimism is top class, people might not always agree with it but blind hope is the thing all of us football fans of their local teams need.

Will Farkes managerial future turn out to be akin to that of a Pochettino, probably not but hoping he will,be,is definitely the way forward.

We do also as a club need to ensure that we are moving forward though. I’d love to know what the ask of Farke was on his arrival but I think most fans just need to see progression. To this extent it’s difficult to be clear where we are, there is defiantly some green shoots but also some repeat errors. He needs a win Sunday that’s for sure.

So why did Delia not continue with the footballing legacy that she inherited?

Thank you. You have just made my argument for me. It is by moving away from what we used to do successfully that Delia has made the club unsuccessful.

Now you are saying that we should go back to how we were in order to be successful. So there we have it. A complete admission that Chase was better than Delia. That Chase knew how to run a football club and that when Delia threw the football club owners manual into the kiln it was all a big, big mistake.

It all now makes sense - how we got the Blarneymeister, Bob the Grocer, Grant, Rodent, Gunn, Adams, Jason Jarrett, Andy Hughes, Zema Abbey and all the other numerous misfits to the Norwich Model as designed by Sir Arthur and John Bond.

In another post today at 10.38am, LDC wrote:

"Looking back too far is largely pointless unless people are looking for things to add to their negative outlook."

Then, at 12.13pm he came up with all the claptrap in this OP.

What a plonker.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]In another post today at 10.38am, LDC wrote:

"Looking back too far is largely pointless unless people are looking for things to add to their negative outlook."

Then, at 12.13pm he came up with all the claptrap in this OP. What a plonker.[/quote]
Looking back and wishing things were like they were is negative.  Comparing methods of the past with the present, which is all I have done, is not the same thing. Thank you.

[quote user="BobLoz3"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]Sounds all fine and dandy but we had better players back then.[/quote]Did we? I am inclined to think more along the lines of comparing our football club (and others in our league) in the early nineties and what the leagues are like now being two very different things.[/quote]

Yes , absolutely

Gunn was better than Krul

Culverhouse and bowen were better than pinto and lewis

Linighan and butterworth better than Hanley and klose

Crook better than leitner

Phelan and townsend better than tettey and tryball

Gordon better than any winger we have

Fleck better than rhodes.

So yes....we had better players back then...it was arguably our best ever team

Yes , absolutely

Gunn was better than Krul

Culverhouse and bowen were better than pinto and lewis

Linighan and butterworth better than Hanley and klose

Crook better than leitner

Phelan and townsend better than tettey and tryball

Gordon better than any winger we have

Fleck better than rhodes.

So yes....we had better players back then...it was arguably our best ever team

Especially as we only played ten then!

GJL, don''t forget Putney or Allen played quite a bit under Stringer.