Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

There's three main problems at Norwich City

On 27/02/2019 at 15:22, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

Purely as a matter of academic interest, does anyone know what has happened to the OP? 

I think the bigfeller  (with whom I quite often agreed) has found another outlet for his penchant for lengthy posts and is currently pre-occupied with online rants about the labour party (he's a Corbynista) as well as an ongoing spat with Rachel Riley off countdown and some ex Eastenders actress! 

Thankfully this season that has mostly been the case (plus I think we have got lucky a bit in terms of the timing of the likes of Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis coming through) and we are where we are in the table as a consequence. 

I wonder if previous managers may have got a bit luckier if they had preferred to play home grown instead of buying in.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Thankfully this season that has mostly been the case (plus I think we have got lucky a bit in terms of the timing of the likes of Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis coming through) and we are where we are in the table as a consequence. 

I wonder if previous managers may have got a bit luckier if they had preferred to play home grown instead of buying in.

They may well have Keelansgrandad, especially Neil if he played Madison. I was juts alluding to it being luck (for the club not Farke) in the sense that those players were brought in under the previous academy regime and its unusual for 3 or 4 to come through from the academy at the same time.

They may well have Keelansgrandad, especially Neil if he played Madison

That was my thought Jim. I knew you meant the club rather than the manager. Seeing Maddison's confidence and attitude, I don't think he needed that season at Aberdeen. And two of our quartet have proved that throwing in at the deep end is sometimes the best way.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I think the bigfeller  (with whom I quite often agreed) has found another outlet for his penchant for lengthy posts and is currently pre-occupied with online rants about the labour party (he's a Corbynista) as well as an ongoing spat with Rachel Riley off countdown and some ex Eastenders actress! 

Shaun will be back next time the chips are down Jimbo. He's been doing this for well over ten years so whatever he's preoccupied with will take a back seat next time something goes wrong.

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That was my thought Jim. I knew you meant the club rather than the manager. Seeing Maddison's confidence and attitude, I don't think he needed that season at Aberdeen. And two of our quartet have proved that throwing in at the deep end is sometimes the best way.

If Farke had been here, Maddison would definitely have played / been involved rather than being shipped off to Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Brighton appointed Dan Ashworth in September last year to be their Technical/Sporting Director. I doubt Bloom looked at Norwich for the inspiration to do that to be honest - especially as their recruitment structure meant Hughton didn’t have much input anyway (they may have looked at his time at Norwich to make that decision). 

Very astute Beth.

Being as Bloom said we wouldn't get a sniff of the prem under our model you could be on to something.

Can you smell anything yet? 🙃

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Very astute Beth.

Being as Bloom said we wouldn't get a sniff of the prem under our model you could be on to something.

Can you smell anything yet? 🙃

When and where did he make these comments? Can’t  say I ever saw them myself. 

There has been a bit of friction at Brighton with the recruitment team bringing in expensive players they have identified through analytics and scouting and then Hughton not giving them game time. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When and where did he make these comments? Can’t  say I ever saw them myself. 

There has been a bit of friction at Brighton with the recruitment team bringing in expensive players they have identified through analytics and scouting and then Hughton not giving them game time. 

At a charity lunch by all accounts. I must say I doubted it myself. But apparently he said 'If we want a sniff of the Prem again we would need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.'

I would imagine what he's done at Brighton would cause friction. Especially now they are on a horrendous run. That's where I think we got it spot on by appointing the sporting director first. Perhaps Bloom should have taken more notice of what our owners did in 2017.

Imagine if the two clubs actually swapped places this summer...

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

At a charity lunch by all accounts. I must say I doubted it myself. But apparently he said 'If we want a sniff of the Prem again we would need some serious money coming into the club and show some ambition to attract good players/prospects.'

I would imagine what he's done at Brighton would cause friction. Especially now they are on a horrendous run. That's where I think we got it spot on by appointing the sporting director first. Perhaps Bloom should have taken more notice of what our owners did in 2017.

Imagine if the two clubs actually swapped places this summer...

Ah, so not an attack at the structure per se, but more saying a club needs to spend a bundle of cash to get promoted - which in itself is interesting (if true), as Brighton hardly pushed out the boat to go up. 

Would be a shame to see them come down as I quite like Brighton. Will be interesting to see what becomes of Hughton, as his pattern there is following the one he took at Norwich. From the outside is loved and respected, but fans increasingly unsure of his defensive style. He has a habit of when going ahead chucking everyone in defence hoping to hold on - which then invites too much pressure on the team. He still seems unsure of how to organise the attacking side of a team - relying on set pieces to Glenn Murry’s head. 

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ah, so not an attack at the structure per se, but more saying a club needs to spend a bundle of cash to get promoted - which in itself is interesting (if true), as Brighton hardly pushed out the boat to go up. 

Would be a shame to see them come down as I quite like Brighton. Will be interesting to see what becomes of Hughton, as his pattern there is following the one he took at Norwich. From the outside is loved and respected, but fans increasingly unsure of his defensive style. He has a habit of when going ahead chucking everyone in defence hoping to hold on - which then invites too much pressure on the team. He still seems unsure of how to organise the attacking side of a team - relying on set pieces to Glenn Murry’s head. 

They might be alright because there's at least 3 other clubs leaking goals like sieves. I'd back Hootun to grind out enough points but it is hard to get out of a slump in the prem.

Doubt Hootun will be there next year whatever.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

They might be alright because there's at least 3 other clubs leaking goals like sieves. I'd back Hootun to grind out enough points but it is hard to get out of a slump in the prem.

Doubt Hootun will be there next year whatever.

Sacking Hughton would certainly cause a big scene - reminiscent of the infamous ‘what do Norwich expect’ quotes that greeted his sacking at Norwich. 

If Brighton are brave they could can him, although that might end up like WBA and Stoke who sacked Pulis looking for something more. 

Unless Hughton becomes more open to the recruits that are brought in for him, then his days certainly will be numbered. Ashworth certainly won’t mess around and will chop him as soon as he feels it necessary. 

Its been a classic Hughton second season slide towards the relegation zone from what i can see albeit he has on the face of it at least tried to be a little bit more attacking in some games. The problem with his management in the prem is that when you basically don;t ever win away (and in many games don;t really try to) you make every home game doubly important and end up with a lot of "must win" games at home. That's all well and good as long as you win them but if you suddenly lose a couple so the slide continues it can be difficult to reverse and in our case it came so late with the hard games we had to follow that West Brom game that it left us an uphill task. Although they've got a trough run in I note they do have a couple of winnable home games so that, combined with the rubbish at the bottom of the prem this year, may yet see them grind out enough points to survive but it would not surprise me at all if they took that third from bottom spot.

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bethnal, they lost 65m in those two seasons in the Championship! I don't know what the money went on - perhaps not so much on players - but it is probably more than NCFC have lost in their entire 117-year history. And after the first of those seasons Bloom did muse as to whether, competing against clubs with parachute payments, it was possible to get promoted without breaking FFP:

According to the club, the accounts showed it had “complied with [the] Football League’s Financial Fair Play rules for the period”. It explained: “Clubs voted to increase the level of permitted losses to £13 million effective from the start of the 2015-16 [season]. Based on the operating loss adjusted for depreciation and allowable expenditure – such as our investment in our Category 1 academy – Albion will once again comply.”

Said Bloom: “With permitted Financial Fair Play losses of £13 million per year over a three year period, any Championship club without parachute payments wishing to compete for promotion will inevitably make significant losses, so it remains a delicate balancing act for the board as we strive to achieve our ultimate aim.”

That was after a 25m loss, and 39m the following season. Still within FFP, but way above anything we could countenance.

Doesn't it make one feel really good about the way things have gone this season, we are defying the odds, we are where we are because of good management at all levels of t'club. Not because we have gambled the family jewels and more to flirt with the FFP regulations. The bravery shown by DF and the younger players that he ' threw in at the deep end'' has played a big part in putting us at the head of the table. If, god forbid, it all goes **** up and we don't go up, the progress we have made is remarkable. I know the vultures will be circling, eyeing up our  players, but I also feel that as a club we are strong now and whatever sales are made, will be on our terms. We've got next season to think about, not last. 

• Like 2

Doesn't it make one feel really good about the way things have gone this season, we are defying the odds, we are where we are because of good management at all levels of t'club. Not because we have gambled the family jewels and more to flirt with the FFP regulations. The bravery shown by DF and the younger players that he ' threw in at the deep end'' has played a big part in putting us at the head of the table. If, god forbid, it all goes **** up and we don't go up, the progress we have made is remarkable. I know the vultures will be circling, eyeing up our  players, but I also feel that as a club we are strong now and whatever sales are made, will be on our terms. We've got next season to think about, not last.

This season has defied everything. In terms of the belief that money is all that matters then we have turned that theory on its head and said the lack of money has galvanised the club. Because we have had to go the direction we are in without any choice of altering direction, the mind set has become clear. 

Should we be in the Prem next season, I would like us to keep this direction. I do see more and more teams in the Prem playing football little or no better than ours. Of course the top 6/8 will be even further ahead but being brave with our approach could well help us achieve more than straight up straight down belief. Looking at the bottom 9 in the Prem, I don't see them playing any better football than we do.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

This season has defied everything. In terms of the belief that money is all that matters then we have turned that theory on its head and said the lack of money has galvanised the club. Because we have had to go the direction we are in without any choice of altering direction, the mind set has become clear. 

Should we be in the Prem next season, I would like us to keep this direction. I do see more and more teams in the Prem playing football little or no better than ours. Of course the top 6/8 will be even further ahead but being brave with our approach could well help us achieve more than straight up straight down belief. Looking at the bottom 9 in the Prem, I don't see them playing any better football than we do.

Yes.

Anyone else suddenly become critical of other teams, especially in the prem, failing to keep the ball, misplaced passes, hoofing it forward?

I think we've been assimilated into the Farke collective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

Yes.

Anyone else suddenly become critical of other teams, especially in the prem, failing to keep the ball, misplaced passes, hoofing it forward?

I think we've been assimilated into the Farke collective.

Have always thought football should be played this way. I'm not a big strong lad , but my left foot is sweet and I can see a pass, sometimes I could execute the pass I've seen. Possibly why I admire Wes so much as he relied on skill and vision rather than pace and power. 

Footy is a beautiful game, at the moment we are the beauty queens of the championship, if we get promoted and keep our style and do well with it, we'll be media darlings ourselves, now that would be amusing.

9 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

What a brilliantly camp post and very well put!

I reserve the right of someone to be offended on my behalf.

• Haha 2

When can the OP copy and paste and start getting the same support from the same posters again? Will we need to be bottom in January for this one to fly again? 🤔

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When can the OP copy and paste and start getting the same support from the same posters again? Will we need to be bottom in January for this one to fly again? 🤔

Oh good, we're back to digging up old posts to pick fights over hypothetical situations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh good, we're back to digging up old posts to pick fights over hypothetical situations.

May as well start early....

Plus, I only happened to stumble on this thread by clicking through a couple of posters wondering why they felt the need to give me some stick.

Think I found the answers..

Oh Hog, you are naughty... Haha

I for one find it absolutely fascinating how some of the high and mighty posters seem to be rather fickle after all.

Incredible how (and for whom) opinions change with circumstance.

Doesn't stop them giving others grief for having different ones though, does it...?

How about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Oh Hog, you are naughty... Haha

I for one find it absolutely fascinating how some of the high and mighty posters seem to be rather fickle after all.

Incredible how (and for whom) opinions change with circumstance.

Doesn't stop them giving others grief for having different ones though, does it...?

How about that.

One man's fickle is another's open-minded I guess...

There maybe other more comfortable descriptions than fickle to describe this but open-minded certainly isn't one of them.

• Like 1