Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

There's three main problems at Norwich City

I think people are just fed up with this childish nonsense tbh. This thread was resurrected purely to score points and smugly lord it over those who had a different view in August. There’s also a tone that suggests anyone who is not 100% on board with Delia and Michael are lesser fans. I don’t think even the most ardent defenders of the club would have predicted this season; I was very worried about relegation a few games in. I’m very happy to admit my viewpoint was wrong; however that doesn’t mean me or others were wrong to air them at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and why others can’t just enjoy the ride instead of saying “I told you so” is beyond me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

I think people are just fed up with this childish nonsense tbh. This thread was resurrected purely to score points and smugly lord it over those who had a different view in August. There’s also a tone that suggests anyone who is not 100% on board with Delia and Michael are lesser fans. I don’t think even the most ardent defenders of the club would have predicted this season; I was very worried about relegation a few games in. I’m very happy to admit my viewpoint was wrong; however that doesn’t mean me or others were wrong to air them at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and why others can’t just enjoy the ride instead of saying “I told you so” is beyond me.

See that's what I call "holier than thou" Hoola. The fact that why others aren't like you is beyond you. What does appear to be beyond you is any opinion on thebigfeller's thread.

• Like 1

Why when this thread was bumped why was the link to it put on Twatter and retwatted to a former poster who constantly indulges in Pink Un and poster bashing not forgetting of course a banned poster. What was that trying to achieve ?

Negativity begets negativity. Seems to me the sheer positivity of the fans has been winning is points. The flip side is that negativity loses you points. 

Not to say criticism shouldn't be made if people have a bad game, but I think the enthusiasm with which some seem to take on the mantle of armchair HR consultants in football in general regarding sacking is damaging all round. 

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

See that's what I call "holier than thou" Hoola. The fact that why others aren't like you is beyond you. What does appear to be beyond you is any opinion on thebigfeller's thread.

The lack of self awareness is astonishing. You brandish the term “holier than thou” around to anybody that dares to challenge your opinions. 

7 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The lack of self awareness is astonishing. You brandish the term “holier than thou” around to anybody that dares to challenge your opinions. 

Memory isn't what it once was but I don't think I've ever brandished that phrase. 

Surely opinions and debating them is what this place is for? 

9 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

It’s best we agree to disagree Eddie. I can’t be bothered to go round in circles 👍🏻

We can do that. 

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Negativity begets negativity. Seems to me the sheer positivity of the fans has been winning is points. The flip side is that negativity loses you points. 

Not to say criticism shouldn't be made if people have a bad game, but I think the enthusiasm with which some seem to take on the mantle of armchair HR consultants in football in general regarding sacking is damaging all round. 

It's easy for the critics but it's people's jobs and livelihoods at stake. Yes, those in football are well paid for what they do - in the upper echelons of the game - but it creates a negative vibe to what should be a joyful experience surrounding the privilege to be able to work in football. It makes for a defensive attitude in coaches, players and owners when you have a situation where a few bad results see the fans turn on their club. I still cringe at the way several of our managers and players have been treated by fans in the terminal stages of their time with us.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why when this thread was bumped why was the link to it put on Twatter and retwatted to a former poster who constantly indulges in Pink Un and poster bashing not forgetting of course a banned poster. What was that trying to achieve ?

I thought they might like to read it? Why? Because it’s funny.

I was actually searching for something completely unrelated when I stumbled across this gem of a thread. I read through it and it made me chuckle because it’s genuinely remarkable that we’ve gone from “Farke sort it out!” (Ipswich away) to him being treated as the second coming and choreographing a buoyant and resplendent Barclay (Farkelay?) in six months. 

Equally as remarkable is the turnaround in the opinion of some posters. Is that a criticism? No. Fans of every club are fickle; it’s the nature of the beast. It’s nothing new. 

Now; as for this ‘holier than thou’ accusation..

Really? I’d be a bit daft to adopt such an attitude. There are countless posts on here that I’m sure would take about as much tearing to threads as a moth infested jumper. Not only that but I’ve been stupid enough to write and post dozens of opinion pieces on here, MyFootballWriter and AlongComeNorwich. Plenty of those, I know, people think are wrong, bonkers or have subsequently proven to be one or both. What I haven’t done though is post or agree with a load of crap criticising the club and it’s owners because we’ve lost a few games and then seamlessly forget that I did so when we’re top of the league. As I said, fickleness is nothing new and is commonplace throughout football. However, if you’re somehow upset by that or don’t like that it might be people’s perception of you, well, only you can fix that.

Was bumping the thread mischievous? Yeah, a bit. But like I said earlier, it made me laugh. That was the intention behind it, that people are getting so precious about it is, in all fairness, nearly as funny. 

OTBC 👍

Edited by Duncan Edwards
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Why on Earth would I accuse you of sniping when you finally debate with me?

Explain to me how you see Duncan's post as "holier than thou".

I see yours and the other objectors that way because you are criticising him for posting rather than criticising the content of his post.

Because you often do, including on this thread.

I don't believe I have responded to Duncan's post.

As I've explained already I am in line with your view of the OP it was the bumping of it that I was criticising. I don't feel that is holier than thou. You do. We see it differently. Big Fish sees it as funny. We all have different views. Mine apparently are sniping, forever righteous and totally humourless. I imagine that is about the only thing we will agree on 🙂

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Because you often do, including on this thread.

I don't believe I have responded to Duncan's post.

As I've explained already I am in line with your view of the OP it was the bumping of it that I was criticising. I don't feel that is holier than thou. You do. We see it differently. Big Fish sees it as funny. We all have different views. Mine apparently are sniping, forever righteous and totally humourless. I imagine that is about the only thing we will agree on 🙂

I'm off to ASDA. I'll look for a tin hat now you've given me the go ahead for the Brighton thread. 

You're right though. I've never so much as smiled at any of your posts. Totally humourless🙃

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm off to ASDA. I'll look for a tin hat now you've given me the go ahead for the Brighton thread. 

You're right though. I've never so much as smiled at any of your posts. Totally humourless🙃

See I said we would agree! That's a start Nutty at least.  🙂 Enjoy ASDA!

Good post Duncan. Oddly, those that get offended by the bumps of these posts only ever seem to be those who were / are wrong. Not sure why it matters. I got stick for defending Vrancic at the start of last season. Some posters quoted me after games and commented how I knew nothing about football. Now, I could go and dig those out for a laugh..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

See I said we would agree! That's a start Nutty at least.  🙂 Enjoy ASDA!

Right Hairy. I managed to find us both a tin hat for when we bump that Brighton thread. I don't want you to worry about it but you should be prepared  for some flak. Tilly and a few others may get in a bit of a grump but I'll have your back and if it all gets too much we can call on Duncan. We'll need him anyway unless you can do Twitter? Even so we should leave that to him. I can do Facebook but it would be a tremendous help if you could cover Instagram and WhatsApp. I'll be in touch...

On 25/02/2019 at 20:01, Duncan Edwards said:

You should cut out the middle man and get involved!! I’m sure I’ve seen you on Twitter though? 

Please don't encourage him, it's about the only place left that remains free of his rants.

OK Nigel, I'm totally on it! Just remind me what the Brighton thread is again? I am a bit of a worrier so I'm pleased to have you behind me. To be honest it would be even better if you could be at the front, you know, taking the worst of the flack and then I could come in and support you. You know you can trust me completely. 

What size tin hat did you get me? I hope you remembered I have a bigger than average head and there's nothing worse than a tight fitting helmet.

Can't do twittering I'm afraid but I know where I can get hold of a Blackberry and an Apple. Maybe we could make a crumble? :classic_angry: Grumpy face to maintain my humorless status. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

OK Nigel, I'm totally on it! Just remind me what the Brighton thread is again? I am a bit of a worrier so I'm pleased to have you behind me. To be honest it would be even better if you could be at the front, you know, taking the worst of the flack and then I could come in and support you. You know you can trust me completely. 

What size tin hat did you get me? I hope you remembered I have a bigger than average head and there's nothing worse than a tight fitting helmet.

Can't do twittering I'm afraid but I know where I can get hold of a Blackberry and an Apple. Maybe we could make a crumble? :classic_angry: Grumpy face to maintain my humorless status. 

Lovely old job Hairy. I think we'll be the bestest of old pals so it will be a real team effort.

The Brighton thread? That was the one where their owner, The Lizard?, was apparently telling his followers that we would never get a sniff of the prem with our ownership model. The architect of that post continually bumped his own thread until the end of August. (That may be a euphemism?) Then he stopped.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2019 at 23:29, PurpleCanary said:

I would just like to point out that over the last several months I had scrupulously resisted the temptation to bump this thread back up, despite having at least as much justification as anyone...😎

Everyone else seems to be having enormous fun, so I might as well finally join in. The OP decided to attack me for my views. Fine. I do that to others. But I try to keep my posts balanced and accurate. Not so much so with the OP's criticism:

"

There''s one other frustration I have with you PC, and it''s this. For want of a better phrase, huge numbers of your posts are either constant apologia for the board, or too green-and-yellow tinted by half. On The Guardian, after a summer in which we''d sold our best players and recruited utter mediocrity, there you were, extolling our virtues and tipping us to contend. There was zero reasoning behind this other than your own blind faith.We''ve won four games in 20. We can''t defend for toffee. The players who kept us afloat last season have all gone. The manager, who has had no previous success at senior level, doesn''t even know what his best system is. Do you still think we''ll contend now?"

What I posted on The Guardian actually was:

"A long way away from mega-rich owners with a risk-taking crporate background, I would keep an eye on Norwich City, who did the opposite to Villa by making the tough but correct decision to start early enough on cutting back their wage bill and their transfer spending to cope with the loss of parachute payments.

"With the sale of Maddison and Josh Murphy the club should now be on an even financial keel. And after a first season of transition and getting used to English football, sporting director Stuart Webber (ex-Huddersfield Town German revolution) and coach Daniel Farke have had the chance this summer to get the kind of younger and hungrier (?) squad they want."

Far from being an expresion of pure blind faith, that extremely cautious semi-optimism strikes me as having a fair bit of reasoning behind it. Reasoning that, as it happens, has been very specifically validated by events.

Of course it would be interesting to discuss with the OP his misrepresentation of my views, but he has  done what apparently he always does when faced with anything other than blind hero-worship, which is to slink away into the cyber-undergrowth.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I thought they might like to read it? Why? Because it’s funny.

Yeah but they do read it mate as you very well know.

3 hours ago, DAVID SEWELL said:

Please don't encourage him, it's about the only place left that remains free of his rants.

The tiresome agenda post 39.

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Everyone else seems to be having enormous fun, so I might as well finally join in. The OP decided to attack me for my views. Fine. I do that to others. But I try to keep my posts balanced and accurate. Not so much so with the OP's criticism:

"

There''s one other frustration I have with you PC, and it''s this. For want of a better phrase, huge numbers of your posts are either constant apologia for the board, or too green-and-yellow tinted by half. On The Guardian, after a summer in which we''d sold our best players and recruited utter mediocrity, there you were, extolling our virtues and tipping us to contend. There was zero reasoning behind this other than your own blind faith.We''ve won four games in 20. We can''t defend for toffee. The players who kept us afloat last season have all gone. The manager, who has had no previous success at senior level, doesn''t even know what his best system is. Do you still think we''ll contend now?"

What I posted on The Guardian actually was:

"A long way away from mega-rich owners with a risk-taking crporate background, I would keep an eye on Norwich City, who did the opposite to Villa by making the tough but correct decision to start early enough on cutting back their wage bill and their transfer spending to cope with the loss of parachute payments.

"With the sale of Maddison and Josh Murphy the club should now be on an even financial keel. And after a first season of transition and getting used to English football, sporting director Stuart Webber (ex-Huddersfield Town German revolution) and coach Daniel Farke have had the chance this summer to get the kind of younger and hungrier (?) squad they want."

Far from being an expresion of pure blind faith, that extremely cautious semi-optimism strikes me as having a fair bit of reasoning behind it. Reasoning that, as it happens, has been very specifically validated by events.

Of course it would be interesting to discuss with the OP his misrepresentation of my views, but he has  done what apparently he always does when faced with anything other than blind hero-worship, which is to slink away into the cyber-undergrowth.

I should say my very cautious fact-based optimism certainly did not extend as far as envisaging us missing six league penalties out of seven and still managing to be top of the table...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Lovely old job Hairy. I think we'll be the bestest of old pals so it will be a real team effort.

The Brighton thread? That was the one where their owner, The Lizard?, was apparently telling his followers that we would never get a sniff of the prem with our ownership model. The architect of that post continually bumped his own thread until the end of August. (That may be a euphemism?) Then he stopped.

Don't you drag me into this Nutty!  For the avoidance of doubt I would like to make it clear that I have never said anything rude about Delia; never said anything rude about anybody who has said something rude about Delia; never bumped a thread; never been holier than thou and very definitely have never owned Brighton and Hove Albion!! Thank you! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are some fundamental truths here.

It is more difficult, risks more and costs more to be positive. To make a positive case, to explain why it might be so, to think long form about why positive change is possible. 

Lakey likened it to Buddhist thinking on another thread and his point is valid. 

It is cheap and worthless to endlessly take a simplistic negative view, to the  take joy in the negative when it does occur and to masquerade such transference of issues from other parts of life as genuine analysis, when in truth it is a pre-programmed filter that is automatically overlaid onto any subject.

My dear great-Grandmother picked the horse that won the National every year. Every year. She did so by tipping every horse in the race over the preceding month or two over cups of tea, scones and home-made sausage rolls in front of a procession of family members. She believed it too. And it was true. Sort of.. 

So it is with those who too-gleefully revel in predicted negative outcomes when they have predicted failure on every post they touch, on every subject they come across. Using the Club they love of all things. 

This is not prediction, it is not forecasting, it is not analysis. It doesn’t come from a well-meaning, thoughtful place either. It is a shame. Everybody is not entitled to any opinion. We are not free even to park on double-yellow lines. 

As my wise Father observes ‘some people are right and everybody else isn’t’.

The Masterclasses - God rest their soul - made predictions, used the past to interpret the present and predict the future. They were long form and explained from where, why and how thoughts and forecasts had been formed. They all stand the test of time, including the one that explained why the positional play methodology Farke was shaping and using could work at Championship players or any others that had the brainpower, diligence and open-mindedness to persevere with it, as resurrected on this very thread. 

Occasionally resurrecting such threads is thoroughly valid and is rather different when they are rare, long-form, take a clear position, make an open stand and are part of maybe 5 or 10 threads a year, as opposed to someone copying my dear old Great-Grandma writing thousands of posts then selectively picking one that suits with hindsight. Every position can be taken that way and it proves nothing, offers no genuine forecast or vision and is the most meaningless of mean-spirited point-scoring.

Worse however is that in the maelstrom of mass-production posting, with little thought, consequence or responsibility, the entire purpose of meaningful forum posting is lost. It is all then just becomes an echo-chamber of equal white noise.

Parma 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Don't you drag me into this Nutty!  For the avoidance of doubt I would like to make it clear that I have never said anything rude about Delia; never said anything rude about anybody who has said something rude about Delia; never bumped a thread; never been holier than thou and very definitely have never owned Brighton and Hove Albion!! Thank you! 😉 

You're ok Thirsty. I think his name is Bloom. Just not the Benjamin variety.

I heard a rumour that he's been looking at us and appointed a sporting director with the aim to become a sustainable club. Now that would be a turn up..

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

You're ok Thirsty. I think his name is Bloom. Just not the Benjamin variety.

I heard a rumour that he's been looking at us and appointed a sporting director with the aim to become a sustainable club. Now that would be a turn up..

Brighton appointed Dan Ashworth in September last year to be their Technical/Sporting Director. I doubt Bloom looked at Norwich for the inspiration to do that to be honest - especially as their recruitment structure meant Hughton didn’t have much input anyway (they may have looked at his time at Norwich to make that decision). 

I am delighted with how this season has gone and the football we are playing but the acid test of the new model will be in the years to come, particularly if we happen to miss out this season.

I have always been in favour of the owners seeking new investment/ownership from the right people to maximise our chances of success. I feel that the owners have been stubborn in their refusal to consider alternatives. My view has always been not that we couldn't succeed with their model but that to succeed using this model we would have to excel in pretty much all elements of the running of the club. Thankfully this season that has mostly been the case (plus I think we have got lucky a bit in terms of the timing of the likes of Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis coming through) and we are where we are in the table as a consequence. I am not sure that as a championship club, relying on such excellence consistently long term is sustainable but it has to be said that promotion to the premier league will again change the landscape financially and hopefully buy us several more years of grace, even if we do get relegated again.