Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Ipswich v Norwich

Right let''s start it.

A quick glance at TWTD shows that they are already building up into a state of frenzy regarding Sunday''s fixture whilst, by contrast, this forum has been approaching the game far more considered comment and far less column inches.

For Paul Hurst''s side it seems that after a bad start to the season, with some glaring deficiencies in the new managerial set-up exposed, the blue print ''young and hungry'' approach is being replaced by seeking any experienced ''old boy'' available.

First, Cameron Jerome, now John Walters and there has been talk of others in an ''''any port in a storm approach.''''

The claim is that it is for balance, with an older head mentoring the younger players, but it seems more an admission of failure with a hint of the panic thrown in which is usually usually the lot of struggling sides.

However, the prevailing mood down south is such that the City side need not bother to even turn up, such is the conviction that a home win is a mere certainty with all but the most sensible of the pack.

I am sensing that we have had a more difficult run into the campaign, with Leeds and WBA already off the Carrow Road menu whilst both Derby and Villa, their strongest opponents thus far have been in a state of fair flux at the moment and have not been at their best.

Both team''s current points tally leaves much to be desired, whatever the perceived opposition though.

A victory for either side on Sunday could just see a revival of fortunes for the winners, but for Norwich much more so than them, imo.

I feel that the Ipswich side has inherent weaknesses despite the manager having funds allocated to him which have been beyond his wildest dreams and limited experience. There are echoes of Alex Neil here, and we know of the legacy of his wasteful excursions into the transfer market.

Their young (?) centre back Nsiala seems to be the pick of the bunch, but he could be suspended following a red last time out. They are appealing the monstrous injustice of this but the fact remains that already the player has made a habit of rash challenges in crucial positions that have led to opposition goals. His timing and decision making would seem to reveal certain deficiencies that might explain why the player, aged 26, has never before risen above the third tier.

I hope that he plays as I see him as a mistake prone, loose cannon and we will have guile, poaching and hopefully more purpose at set pieces to expose this.

For City fans, it''s the day to put aside concerns about Farke''s claim to the role and make getting three points the priority, one way or the other.

A draw would seem the most likely outcome, although I would have been far more convinced of a City win, against a weak, bottom of the league Ipswich town, if our man had not already begun to expose many of the deficiencies in his style that were evident last season.

They are going backwards, we are standing still.

There is a strange conviction on TWTD that they are better than us and everything will be OK in the end. I would say that we are both awful and this is a relegation derby. Whoever scores the first goal will win it and such is the fragile confidence of both teams that whoever scores first may well go on to get 4 or 5.

There is one interesting and well written post on TWTD which suggests that this is the poorest quality derby in living memory. I have been watching Norwich play Ipswich for nearly 50 years and I can''t remember a time when both teams were this poor at the same time.

Fingers crossed we score first. But I''m already well past worrying about finishing above them and at the moment would happily accept 21st place at the end of the season

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

A draw would seem the most likely outcome, although I would have been far more convinced of a City win, against a weak, bottom of the league Ipswich town, if our man had not already begun to expose many of the deficiencies in his style that were evident last season.

They are going backwards, we are standing still.[/quote]
We are not standing still. How can that be when we have so many new players to assimilate?  The whole front end of the team is pretty much new and only played together competitively five times!  The style has improved apart from Preston which was a particularly pressurised game having not won up to then.  Yes, one or two players are still needing to improve their awareness in matches for what is required, but without the mistakes - and I don''t just mean Krul, we would be sitting prettier in the league. This season will be one of continued development and improvement as the team settles down with all it''s components - the young players coming into it more and confidence growing.

Even with our selling of prized assets over the past couple of years we still have a better team than them.....the unknown and what might hamstring us is sadly our manager....can he be trusted to pick the right team, formation , substitutions and manage the game?.....who honestly knows..

We are inconsistent in our attacking intent and fragile defensively .... what''s changed.

We can reach the heights and plumb the depths in the course of one game and who can have confidence in a defence which has already crumbled entirely this season, once breached, on two occasions on their own turf?

I feel that our strength on Sunday will be the weakness of the opposition but, like you say, we would need to start with positive intent as an early goal should win it.

They might come at us from the start buoyed by an unusually high crowd, but I feel that they lack any hint of class, are fundamentally naive and lacking in any other than the basic "gung-ho" confidence.

BroadstairsR wrote:

A draw would seem the most likely outcome, although I would have been far more convinced of a City win, against a weak, bottom of the league Ipswich town, if our man had not already begun to expose many of the deficiencies in his style that were evident last season. They are going backwards, we are standing still.

We are not standing still. How can that be when we have so many new players to assimilate? The whole front end of the team is pretty much new and only played together competitively five times! The style has improved apart from Preston which was a particularly pressurised game having not won up to then. Yes, one or two players are still needing to improve their awareness in matches for what is required, but without the mistakes - and I don''t just mean Krul, we would be sitting prettier in the league. This season will be one of continued development and improvement as the team settles down with all it''s components - the young players coming into it more and confidence growing."

OK. Farke is standing still then.

I too feel that we had a decent Summer and do like our input very much, but it will need an excellent result on Sunday for me to be gushing in such a positive way about our prospects for this season, and that''s what it''s all about after all.

I remain doubtful about our manager''s ability to get the best from his players and am desperate that this next match provides a win and a springboard to a successful season.

A poor display/result and I am ''out'' and so should the ''weakest link'' be.

I think we have a better 11 and a better squad than them. I also think that Hurst looks to be way out of his depth in this division and the scattergun approach of buying every player hes ever worked with that was OK in league 1 is inherently dangerous. He''s a poor man''s Paul Lambert but he hasnt got the nous that Lambert had or the transfer accumen.

I think our squad is better than our results would indicate too and sooner or later we will click into gear and start picking up points.

Overall, they are due one so by law of averages i do think we might get beat but if we do it will be a scrappy 1-0, they simply dont have enough quality to turn us over. Conversely, i think if we win, then it will be a 4 or 5 goal spanking. Their confidence is paper thin and we do have enough quality to annhilate them. I dont see a draw for this one, think first goal is crucial but if we nick one early then it will be floodgates open and a demolition derby.

Key man: Buendia who must start.

The first goal will be even more key than usual, as it will affect confidence of both sides.

What is noticeable is that both teams do fairly well from attacking set pieces but both are frankly shocking at defending them - so not conceding corners or needless free kicks in our half will be key.

Their main threat seems tio be Gwion Edwards so it could be a busy day for Lewis.

It will be tight and given lack of confidence a 1-1 draw seems but I am hopeful of much more.

If by some freak of football fantasy, floundering Ipswich manage to beat us......Do you think their ''Famous Fan'' Ed Sheeran, will then herald their victory by writing a song about it?......

Is it just Me, or does anyone else feel that the players we have now, due to "newness" or the lack of home grown players, are not going to appreciate how special the derby is?

On the subject of the first goal being key, we have this astonishing record to keep up having scored first on our last 13 successive visits to the Portaloo. Can anyone add their name to this list on Sunday?

Bellamy

Roberts

Mackay

McKenzie

Huckerby

Chadwick

Evans

Mooney

Surman

Grabban

Howson

Jerome

Maddison

Just you dicky.

Klose, Hanley, Pinto, Lewis, Leitner, Rhodes, Tettey, Stiepermann, Trybull have all played in the derby (except Rhodes who has been in East Anglia long enough to well and truly know what it means).

Given the way the derbies went last year, those who were involved will hve little doubt what it means and there are some strong characters in that list who will leave the others in little doubt about what it is.

Pukki strikes me as a guy who relishes occasions like this and will take to it like a duck to water.

We have a lot of players who have played in big game environments. Ipswich conversely have very few who wilm have played in a big match atmosphere as theyve signed lower leaguers more used to playing in front of 2500 people thn 25000.

Thw atmosphere will be to our advantage.

Nsiala lost his appeal and now faces a three match ban so will be in the stands on Sunday.

It won''t likely benefit us much though because Hurst has got the 38 years old ex-binner Gareth McCauley lined up.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Nsiala lost his appeal and now faces a three match ban so will be in the stands on Sunday.

It won''t likely benefit us much though because Hurst has got the 38 years old ex-binner Gareth McCauley lined up.[/quote]
If Mcauley signs and plays lump on Norwich to win to nil with a Mcauley goal anytime...

They were all raging about it not even being a foul, let alone a red card. Looked a red all day long to me. He won the ball but went in studs up both footed. Never mind, probably would have put another star on the shirt if theyd won the appeal

https://youtu.be/_RZggZ976Rw

We are the team in the blue gloves on Sunday.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 30/08/2018 8:29 AM:

We are inconsistent in our attacking intent and fragile defensively .... what''s changed.

We can reach the heights and plumb the depths in the course of one game and who can have confidence in a defence which has already crumbled entirely this season, once breached, on two occasions on their own turf?

I feel that our strength on Sunday will be the weakness of the opposition but, like you say, we would need to start with positive intent as an early goal should win it.

They might come at us from the start buoyed by an unusually high crowd, but I feel that they lack any hint of class, are fundamentally naive and lacking in any other than the basic "gung-ho" confidence.

I would expect to see lots of blue tomorrow. Empty seats all over the ground, apart from where we are of course.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
We are not standing still. How can that be when we have so many new players to assimilate?  The whole front end of the team is pretty much new and only played together competitively five times!  The style has improved apart from Preston which was a particularly pressurised game having not won up to then.  Yes, one or two players are still needing to improve their awareness in matches for what is required, but without the mistakes - and I don''t just mean Krul, we would be sitting prettier in the league. This season will be one of continued development and improvement as the team settles down with all it''s components - the young players coming into it more and confidence growing.
[/quote]
Having just watched a miserable collection of 22+ headless chickens running round at Portman Road in, what I assume was an attempt to play a game of football, I can assure you LDC that the wait to reach the utopia that you outline above is going to be a very very long one.
However, you are right about one thing.
We are not standing still, we are going backwards.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]
[/quote]
Having just watched a miserable collection of 22+ headless chickens running round at Portman Road in, what I assume was an attempt to play a game of football, I can assure you LDC that the wait to reach the utopia that you outline above is going to be a very very long one.
[/quote]
I would give credit where credit is due - getting Aarons, Godfrey, Thompson on as well as the young Buendia and Lewis on the pitch and coming away with a point after all the injuries, was creditable. Yes, it was a poor match, but the stakes - as they always are in a derby - were extra high.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
I would give credit where credit is due - getting Aarons, Godfrey, Thompson on as well as the young Buendia and Lewis on the pitch
[/quote]
So we are now giving credit to the Manager for picking players in the squad.
There is just no end to his qualities, is there.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]
I would give credit where credit is due - getting Aarons, Godfrey, Thompson on as well as the young Buendia and Lewis on the pitch
[/quote]
So we are now giving credit to the Manager for picking players in the squad.
There is just no end to his qualities, is there.
[/quote]
Ahh, yes, a manager''s job is so easy, isn''t it.....just pick any old player and put him in the team. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Just imagine how miserable the binner version of MP must be.....[/quote]
MP is very happy.
Just had a Lucky 15 come in at 7/1, 10/1, 9/2, and 11/1.
Only 5p win (£0.75 stake) but now better off by £455.50
OTBC

On 02/09/2018 at 15:40, Making Plans said:

:classic_blink:

• Haha 2