Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Hoof ball

"Some of their lot reckon it’s progression and are pleased with the way they played !"

Interesting to note that so many of Hurst''s Summer signings are gradually being sidelined. Three debutants today, all loanees, whilst many of the ''young and hungry'' were non-starters or sat it out completely.

That Nolan will be the next to be discarded based upon his showing yesterday.

Interestingly a very blue-tinted view on TWTD asks the question, "Would you take any Norwich players over ours?"

Needless to say, he wouldn''t but then, in typical dumbo style, highlights Walters and Pennington, two loan players, as being their better performers.

Nevertheless, I do not have to wear my own yellow-tinteds, for the most part, to reveal that view for the nonsense it clearly is.

From that strange creature in goal through to their goal shy young L1 strikers we can, at easily claim to have a better squad from top to bottom.

The ''Pickle,'' who replaced the ''best'' keeper in the Championship'' actually saved the day for them with his reflex save from Tettey, whilst Krul, who hardly had a proper save to make, had a confidence building display commanding his area well on occasions. Gerken is usually pinned onto his goal line whilst the ''Bart'' seems not so bothered now that he has got his pay rise.

Hanley, Klose (and Godfrey) are streets ahead in the centre back role, Hernandez was the most skillful player on the pitch, Pukki gets better by the match and Leitner was singled out by no other than Mick Mills (I watched IFollow through the ITFC site and had to put up with a rather one-sided commentary) as being the most influential player on the pitch.

Then we had our two super young full-backs to consider and Tettey with his pedigree over ''sideways Skuse.''

Nah! I could go on, but hardly fancy any of their group and, whilst it was a poor game, the onus had to be on the home side. Both teams had spells of dominance. Theirs was ''up and at ''em'' whilst ours exhibited the best spell of real football played by either side.

Only one side will be climbing the table on this showing. The question we have to ask ourselves is how far up Farke is capable of taking us?

He has at least bought time ''til the next international break whereby a dozen games should clarify the issue.

The football was as bad as under McCarthy

They are in a world of trouble this season.

Embarrassing lot and when are the two going to invest in that stand they put us in one of the worst in the league

I thought they played McCarthy type football but with worse players and were an utterly sh*te bunch of kick and rush merchants. We clearly have a lot more talent/quality than them it’s just a shame we don’t know how to make it count at present and in the end we got dragged down to their level and could easily have lost it after the no show at the start of the second half.

That walters was their best player speaks volumes. On that showing they will struggle to get out of the bottom 3 all season. The deluded tahn fans in the office think they were the better side and we escaped with a point.

They dragged us down to their level - there were several occassions where the ball simply head tennised between the teams 5-10 time no side making progress. Fortunately our back line stood up to the barrage of long balls, kicks, stamps and elbows left in. They did have a purple spell when Klose came off, but fortunately the previously poor hanley seemed to have something stamped into him at half time and he became the player we knew he could be.

Outside of that spell were the better side, we should have gone in ahead with some free headers spurned and the positives were klose, lewis & aarons, krul & tettey. Leitner also impressed - winning tackles but also continue to create shooting chances for the forward line.

That is where we come to the negatives. People may bemoan poor service but Onel, Pukki and Rhodes were poor. They rarely held on to the ball and the link up play was weak. Buendia was not great but at least he got himself involved and offered the out ball, while pretty much playing the same role as pukki or hernandez.

We have come through a dirty game with a point. Time to regroup and face a tough month ahead.

The football in general was poor.

We were poor as well, until that second half spell of total domination. I was such an advocate of Buendia playing and got my wish but he looked awful. Why? I had him stitched on for MOTM before kick off.

So it doesn''t matter what style you play if you are both poor. I did post on Saturday that we knew what style would be on show because of the Walters signing.

But for much of the second half, it caused us no end of problems so it was working for them.

Wouldn''t want to see it played too often but it almost stopped the rot for them.

Tactically Ipswich got it more right than we did. They played long almost every single time to Walters and whoever the other two were, and without the ball they split and pressed high on our defenders. Klose and Hanley especially got drawn into kicking long for Rhodes, and despite a good game Aarons showed his age with a number of rash swiped clearances under pressure. The only member of the defence that didn''t get rattled was Jamal Lewis who looked for the most part like he was having a kickaround in the garden.
This was all done in aid of bypassing our midfield, which is where the difference between the two teams is most pronounced. Rhodes isn''t a target man and will lose the majority of battles against two forward-facing CBs, meaning Buendia, Pukki, Leitner, Hernandez all generally spent the game getting neck ache and running shuttles back and forth over the halfway line and is why they had the run of the game for the most part.
In hindsight Farke did well to hook Buendia for Thompson as it helped us turn more of the play back towards their goal during heavy pressure when you could have kept the Argentine on for his ability to conjure something from nothing. Emi will only get better this year, maybe the wrong game for him yesterday from the start and hopefully we learn from that.

Two poor teams. One poor team pumping it long the other poor team trying to play some football. I''m glad we tried to play the football as i''d be even more fed up if I was an Ipswich fan. But we have got to find a way to be more aggressive and play with greater intensity.

Watched the Watford / Spurs match yesterday and the home team''s performance was brilliant. Just the style of play we need, urgent, committed and physical. We lack this urgency at the moment. Ipswich looked more up for it yesterday. Yet I thought they were desperate in their playing style, aimless for the most part, lumping balls forward. We at least tried to play but were brought down to their style of play. Their turgid play is hard to break up. Even their goal had a huge slice of luck. I know we were underwhelming too but the home match might be different.

Glad I''m not watching their type of play week in week out. It was appalling and worse than the McCarthy era. IMO.

They played the right tactic they were never going to pass it around and walk through our midfield

they went long to get the ball to our weakest point our defense

they knew if they pumped it long they had a chance of 1st or 2nd ball bypassing the midfield and it almost worked

all this Ipswich were terrible have rubbish players most freebies etc

makes me wonder how can they compete with us and our wonder coach ?

we are on the slide i feel a change is needed to get us moving forwards to beat teams that are as terrible as ipswich and stamp our tactics on a game for longer than 5 to 10 mins

I just watched the extended highlights (the 10 minute one) on iFollow and it really emphasises the difference between the two clubs styles. Hurst''s Ipswich is identical in style to McCarthys but with L1 players as the core. More long ball, long throws and set plays, nothing creative at all. Our young defence in the 2nd half coped pretty well with all the high balls and this gives me confidence for the future. Agree that much of the game was pretty low in quality but what quality there was came from our play.