Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Message to Daniel

I''ve never called for any Norwich manager to go. On reflection I was wrong not to do so with Roader and the loanees. I''ve disagreed with appointments (e.g Gunn) but I''ve always been oddly loyal once the gaffer is appointed. Maybe this was coming of age in the Bond, Brown, Walker, Worthington era. In those days you only had to listen to the pub bore or the River End moaner now and again for your unplanned dose of negativity. Today of course there are the key board minority, within the online minority who rattle on about subjects they clearly know nothing about, preaching about ambition from the hollowness of their own limited world view. Chat to most fans in most parts of Carra and you find most folks are fairly realistic and knowledgeable.

We have made mistakes and we find ourselves middle of the 2nd Tier (where we were when I was a kid) . We are in good company as the the 2nd Tier increasingly looks a more competitative and exciting division than the prem, and the T.V companies are slowly picking up on this. My WBA pal said his first game back in this division (a home defeat to Bolton) allowed him to experience the best atmosphere at the Hawthorns for years. Keep right on ................

Shock horror, football fans calling for a change of manager following a hammering on their own patch, following a sub-standard start to the season which has continued to reveal the same misgivings and which has followed on from an ordinary season last time out which was characterised by some less than inspiring displays.

Shock horror, football fans sensing a gradual decline of their club wanting changes to be made in the coaching set up.

Naughty boys and girls. Know your place.

They must be made to write out one hundred times:-

"We must settle for second best."

A change is needed. The team don’t perform on the pitch and hasn’t done for a long while. Of course the manager has to be replaced. Asap!

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]My name is LDC, and I will talk down to and patronise all my fellow fans that don’t share my obsessive, blind faith approach to supporting NCFC. Those that want a change in ownership and don’t think the sun shines out of Delia’s ar$e are all stupid and wanting to destroy the club, and I’m here to lecture them why they’re wrong.[/quote]
The truth is that we will never get back into the PL with only Delia etc in charge. She may have saved the Club once, and admirably kept it afloat, but things have moved on and we are a millions miles away from affording a squad that is capable of getting promotion, and another million miles from affording one that could stay in the PL.
Under the present ownership set up we have no chance of being a Brighton, a Bournemouth, a Burnley, a Watford or even a Cardiff.
No matter what style of football we play, or what Manager we employ (although there is better than Farke), the current squad is nowhere good enough and the bottom line is, we can''t afford a better one.
We have a couple of decent youngsters but as soon as they mature into good players they will be sold off to balance the books.
That is what this new model is all about - keeping our heads above water finacially whilst pretending to be ambitious and doing just enough on the pitch to retain our Championship status and keep the season ticket holders happy.
That is where we are and anything else is unachievable with the money we have.
Without some major investment from another source we are destined for years of stagnation.

LDC, your dedication and blind faith in this manager might carry a bit more weight if you hadn''t had the exact same faith in every single other manager we''ve had.

I’ve just had a thought. I know Daniel can speak English incredibly well but do we know if he can read it? If he can’t then all this hard work and wisdom will have gone to waste... He’ll never know how we really felt 😭😭😭😭😭😭😩😩😩

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Shock horror, football fans calling for a change of manager following a hammering on their own patch, following a sub-standard start to the season which has continued to reveal the same misgivings and which has followed on from an ordinary season last time out which was characterised by some less than inspiring displays.

Shock horror, football fans sensing a gradual decline of their club wanting changes to be made in the coaching set up.

Naughty boys and girls. Know your place.

They must be made to write out one hundred times:-

"We must settle for second best."[/quote]
I would summarize it as a lack of patience and a lack of respect for what is trying to be achieved.  We all get angry and frustrated by poor results and sub-standard performances but it seems as if some people just don''t want to give any time or credence to anything to do with the club - and they make a dis-proportionate amout of noise that can only fuel the idea everything is up the creek.
So it goes to Farke for the blame, then it goes to Webber, oh and then the blame goes to the board...then it goes to the owners...then the whole club is seen as in disarray, everything is wrong, nothing is right....and the circle is complete. The doom mongers are happy because they stirred things up,  the binners are happy - and there are quite a few binners on here who love hiking up the rhetoric against anything that is against the club.
It''s the easiest thing in the world to be unhappy with something that doesn''t seem to be working in the present moment and wish for change so things can be better, much harder to stick with it in the knowledge that in the long term things will work out.  Hughton never got a chance to - his luck ran out before a third season in which imo he would have found solutions to our problems. Neil would have sorted out the squad rebuilding well imo and set us up well for the following season, but his luck ran out.
Farke will get his two years and if he doesn''t do well this season, his luck will run out - but given time, his methods would work, as with Neil and Hughton.  Football is cruel, it often doesn''t give a manager the time he needs to really get things sorted. I reckon that to change a whole club''s culture you need three whole seasons, but manager''s often can''t be allowed that time to finish the job they started.  That is why the Bruce''s and Warnock''s keep getting jobs - because they often produce results quickly, but are they good for their clubs'' long term?
We have a long term project and I think it is important to recognise that and support it.  By the end of two years we should be seing some progress. We have only just started the second year....

[quote user="corbs"]

We have made mistakes and we find ourselves middle of the 2nd Tier (where we were when I was a kid) . We are in good company as the the 2nd Tier increasingly looks a more competitative and exciting division than the prem, and the T.V companies are slowly picking up on this. My WBA pal said his first game back in this division (a home defeat to Bolton) allowed him to experience the best atmosphere at the Hawthorns for years. Keep right on ................[/quote]
Agree with that 100%..
I want us to be successful but would much rather we did it by building a proper team over a period of time than spending a fortune on a bunch of mercenaries in the (probably vain) hope that they will bring us instant promotion.
Getting promoted is absolutely great, apart from the fact that you then have to endure a season or two of the Premiership before getting back to the excitement of the Championship.

The minute you claimed Hughton was removed too soon after a season of the worst football I''ve ever seen at this club, where he misused players and deliberately made defensive subs when even 2-0 down, that was when you lost the remaining iota of credit I''d given you for the post.
Similarly it was clear it was time for Alex Neil to be removed, and you again claim it was too soon.
We are in a long term plan atm, but if we don''t get an improvement in results relatively soon, then Farke will also be gone.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I know you probably don''t look in on this board, but if you do, please take heart from the fact that many people want you to succeed.  There is a minority of people who have it in for the club and it''s owners - and have it in for you and Stuart because you were appointed by them. This is a sad state of affairs and it is largely historical because there are those that have always resented Delia Smith for having the temerity to become the majority shareholder in the first place - and have carried that resentment right the way through  since 1996 ! 
You have been given a task to transform the club from what it was, with a whole plethora of new players last season, a development that is still carrying on with key players being sold and new ones coming in this season.   Congratulations for keeping your cool in spite of the difficulties this whole scenario represents, be assured that many fans support what the club is doing and appreciate the efforts of yourself to get some cohesion and consistency into our football team.  We clearly have some very good players and it will be hoped that as the season progresses they will settle down to the task at hand and we will enjoy better results. 
We know you will be hurting from results like Saturday''s but please keep your enthusiasm and love for the club going, ultimately we all want the same thing - a successful football team and you are better placed to know what to do than fans, some of whom think they have all the answers.
It is what it is - a fantastic football club with great fans - the more sensible fans know it is a long season and that it has only just started.  Others can''t see beyond the length of their noses, but once we get those results going all this negativity will dissipate and things will seem a lot more positive.
Viel Gluck und alles Gute fur den Rest der Fussballsaison!
[/quote]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
The minute you claimed Hughton was removed too soon after a season of the worst football I''ve ever seen at this club, where he misused players and deliberately made defensive subs when even 2-0 down, that was when you lost the remaining iota of credit I''d given you for the post.
Similarly it was clear it was time for Alex Neil to be removed, and you again claim it was too soon.
We are in a long term plan atm, but if we don''t get an improvement in results relatively soon, then Farke will also be gone.
[/quote]
The point is these two - Hughton and Neil - have proved themselves good managers since leaving, I understand Neil is particularly well liked and appreciated at Preston.  And the overall point is that any manager trying to change the whole culture of a club needs longer than these two got at Norwich.   I know football managers have a limited time span, but sometimes you have to stick with someone you believe in if you want to make long lasting and big changes in the club''s culture, as we are doing.

Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye, God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes!

LDC despite people taking the pee a little, there are some true points in your posts and some admirable faultless fan support from you personally.
But whilst I get frustrated with some of the negative supporters who predominantly live in the online realm but occasionally make themselves heard at games - there are other times where you have to accept it''s going to happen and it''s down to those responsible i.e Farke to change things around.
The one thing I can''t get my head around is what our fans see as most important right now. Results, or performances? For me it''s always results. I was personally much more angry at Farke and I guess the players for the tactical failings putting us 3-0 down at Leeds. But there were far more boo''s in the Preston match at 0-0 when we passed the ball backwards (actually leading to creating an opening, in this instance). It does make it difficult for those at the top to know what to do. I''d much rather we''d have kept it tight against Leeds rather than go all out and look impressive but ultimately not stand a chance. But would that have been possible? How would the fans have reacted? It''s difficult.
And it''s this pre-conception from our fans that a back-pass = bad and a long hoof = good, unless it doesn''t land on our players foot, then it''s also bad. It got to the stage against Preston where in the second half we''d have needed a 100% passing accuracy forwards only to appease.
That essentially stems from the first half of our first season under Farke at home. Because it improved in the second half. But whether the vocal one''s at football don''t want to understand, don''t want to notice change, or are mentally incapable of noticing change, I''m not sure. Regardless, it puts Farke and his style under more pressure than it would be had he taken over at a club like Swansea who''s seen the style implemented successfully.

Sorry LDC, but that''s NOT the point.
Hughton had nearly 2 years here, in the first year he halved the goal total of Grant Holt (from 15 to 8), completely disregarded Steve Morison (who''d managed 9 prem goals the season before) and forced him into a swap move for Becchio - who he then refused to ever play, sidelined players such as Pilkington and Fox who had done a great job for us the year before, and he finished with 3 points less than Lambert and a worse goal difference, yet finished in a higher league place purely due to the teams around us.
Then THAT season began, the worst season in recent memory for me, which included the misplaying of both RvW and Hooper, the over-reliance on playing EVERYTHING through Snodgrass, the most turgid, dire, apalling dross that claimed to be football ever was his mainstay, yet despite his claims to make us better defensively - we finished with only 4 goals less than conceded than under "gung-ho" mentality of Paul Lambert''s. Let''s also not forget that he released Chris Martin on a free, despite having loaned in the ineffective Kei Kamara the January before, binned off Ayala for no apparent reason but loaned in Yobo, and Gutierrez was a simply pointless addition.
I don''t give 2 flying forks what he''s done at Brighton, he was absolutely terrible for us in terms of football (I won''t insult the man''s professionalism which was always excellent), and should have been gone well before they made the choice finally.
Neil was similarly kept way too long when it was obvious it wasn''t working and he''d lost the dressing room, not to mention him wasting a cosmic sh!t ton of money on overpaid rubbish like Naismith, signed Andreu as seemingly a favour to Hamilton, brought in Lafferty who was a disaster throughout and seemingly had no clue what to do when simply shouting at people or giving them the cold shoulder didn''t work.
I just don''t know how you can sit there and suggest they needed more time - especially Hughton, because at least Neil tried to play attacking football that could be good to watch, whereas the sh@ under Hughton would have put a glass eye to sleep...

Those who think Hughton should have been given more time are almost always people who didn''t actually have to sit through his turgid, soul destroying football on a regular basis.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
I just don''t know how you can sit there and suggest they needed more time - especially Hughton, because at least Neil tried to play attacking football that could be good to watch, whereas the sh@ under Hughton would have put a glass eye to sleep...
[/quote]
My point is look at them now. Both doing a good job and greatly respected by their present clubs.  Both producing effective football within the constraints of their clubs'' position.  You are looking at them because of what they did at Norwich - but they were - and are - good managers. So why couldn''t they have been given longer?  Hughton would have been able to rebuild in the championship and could well have got us back up and all would have been forgiven.  Neil too, if kept on, would have overseen the squad clearout, got some youngsters involved - as he did at Hamilton - and rebalanced what he was doing to get a better response from his players.
Both have moved on and so have we and I have no complaints about that, but we seem to be treading the same path again - fans getting uppity because they are not seeing what they think they should be having.  Are the fans demanding or expecting too much and is the present manager going to be unable to cope with that...again?    Is the Norwich job a poisoned chalice?  Our best chance of long term success was keeping Lambert - we had the dream team - but he blew it for whatever reason. 
So we move on - and on - and on - and still fans can''t give a manager time to get his vision going.  Alex Neil commented on how quick the Norwich fans were to get negative towards the team - and he for a while managed to change that, but it soon crept back when we started to struggle. Farke has had one season of total upheaval and change and a second season where he has had to start again almost.  He is still tryng to find the best formula and hopefully he will, but I do fear he will be forced out, either wanting to go back after this season, or not being offered a new contract. 
Given what Farke has been dealt with in terms of rebuilding the club, one year and five games is not long. I would hope he can start to get hold of things this season, do well enough to be offered a new contract and that he will want to stay for that third year when success is far more likely imo.
I fully understand why Hughton and Neil were sacked, but we cannot as a club keep trying a rebuild for a year or two then knocking it on the head before it has evolved.  Farke has had the hardest job of the three - he has faced a total rebuild and for that he deserves to be given plenty of time to establish what he is trying to achieve. 

A Large delivery of Kleenex tissue has been seen delivered to Daniels house. I do hope it’s because he’s read the original post

Actually if you read the op out loud with the our tune music playing in the background it really enhances the sentiment in it. Touching, Powerful stuff. I’m now reaching for the Kleenex

Pretty sure that Lafferty was an Adams not a Neil signing indy b

I have as much time for revisiting hughons career as Lambert''s as it isn''t relevant to the challenges we face now. And nor does the following.What I will point out is that in 23 years, covering c13 manager and 7 caretakers only 2 have left the club and won anything afterwards, the first being Martin O''Neil and then other Hughton.

No other manager has faced two seasons of having lost 50% of their starting xi.

The style of play is not thrilling. But the creative side is better this season, sadly the fquakity of fnishing has not. the defence is worse. Confidence is a huge issue, creating a lack of leadership on pitch, exacerbated by the fans atmosphere.

I think results can and are likely improve but they need to quickly. The club is in danger of sinking lower and the next 5 games are key and now is the time to show they can pick up results. The fans need to support the players as they will stay long after the coach goes, so killing their confidence helps no one.

More energy from the midfield, a desire to want the ball and more than just klose concentrating in defence is key.

An ever changing coach is never a recipe for success. Fingers crossed that isn''t need

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]Please do a message to Delia too .[/quote]
I don''t think so, I might write one to all those who seem to think we are on downward path and try and cheer them up, as they don''t really seem to get that the long term plan is only one season and five games old and the amount of changes that have taken place, even up to a few weeks ago have been enormous and will take more time to come to fruition. 
Seeming to be debt free and self-sustaining with a progressive footballing attitude doesn''t wash with them and they want bucket loads of money to spend and they want success and they want it now so all they like to do is knock what is being attempted, which is a mid to long term project, rather than embrace it. 
I love that they want the best for the club, I just think they need to go with the flow rather than knock it - Farke will be given to develop things and any investor that comes forward will come forward regardless of what they want, so why not try and enjoy the ride now, instead of being full of angst about things all the time??