Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Where are they now ?

[quote user="Van wink"]
Part of the problem with 2015 was promotion being achieved through the play off''s, it does mean that there is less time available for business due to the delay in knowing where you will be playing the following season. Also the play off process is a massive distraction.
I think the "club" recognised that it got that summr window wrong,  I recall AN speaking about it in a radio interview.
[/quote]
That is a fair point, generally. But in the case that everyone mentions, our failure to get in a good-quality central defender, McNally''s own explanation didn''t blame that factor at all. As he told it, we could have got in someone who would have been a bit better, but made the risky decision to go for a real upgrade (probably Koulibaly at Napoli).Everything was agreed, including the transfer fees and personal terms, but at the last moment Napoli, or whoever, couldn''t get a replacement and called the deal off. Which McNally, as in effect the football director, must have known might happen.I should say I had been happily refuting Big Vince''s defence of McNally without realising some tinker had, rather embarrassingly for BG, resurrected a vicious attack from him on McNally from just a few years back...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Big Vince"]You cannot escape the fact that McNasty was the victim of a poisonous dose of deceit from the Board because they accepted his resignation in full knowledge that they had not backed him in the transfer market, nor sought new money from outside to back him in what everyone knows is the most competitive and cut-throat league on earth.

Whatever money was available in 2015 was nowhere near enough to entice the kind of players at the kind of salaries that are being demanded at that level. So Norwich had to settle for the likes of Jarvis and Wisdom on loan.

And Delia has since said that had Norwich been promoted last season there would have been no money.

End of.[/quote]
Except that they did provide the money, both times. In 2013 it was, as Bowkett said, by far and away a record amount for Norwich City. From memory our net spending that summer was one of the very highest in the whole of Europe. But, as Bowkett went on to say, the squad was not improved in parallel with the spending. And in 2015, as McNally himself later admitted, at great length, the money was again there but deals plural fell through too late to do anything about it, except wait for the winter window. Hence the splurge then. It was the money we had failed to spend in the summer. And as in effect our football director McNally has to to take a great part of the blame (there may have been some attributable to the two managers as well) for those crucial failures that ended in relegation.
[/quote]

Norwich City''s net spending one of the highest in Europe. Give me a break!

Of course you are going to back up this claim with statistics from a reputable source?

So why has McNasty spoken earlier this year of a lack of backing in the transfer market at a time when directors'' loans were repaid?

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Big Vince"]You cannot escape the fact that McNasty was the victim of a poisonous dose of deceit from the Board because they accepted his resignation in full knowledge that they had not backed him in the transfer market, nor sought new money from outside to back him in what everyone knows is the most competitive and cut-throat league on earth.

Whatever money was available in 2015 was nowhere near enough to entice the kind of players at the kind of salaries that are being demanded at that level. So Norwich had to settle for the likes of Jarvis and Wisdom on loan.

And Delia has since said that had Norwich been promoted last season there would have been no money.

End of.[/quote]
Except that they did provide the money, both times. In 2013 it was, as Bowkett said, by far and away a record amount for Norwich City. From memory our net spending that summer was one of the very highest in the whole of Europe. But, as Bowkett went on to say, the squad was not improved in parallel with the spending. And in 2015, as McNally himself later admitted, at great length, the money was again there but deals plural fell through too late to do anything about it, except wait for the winter window. Hence the splurge then. It was the money we had failed to spend in the summer. And as in effect our football director McNally has to to take a great part of the blame (there may have been some attributable to the two managers as well) for those crucial failures that ended in relegation.
[/quote]

Norwich City''s net spending one of the highest in Europe. Give me a break!

Of course you are going to back up this claim with statistics from a reputable source?

So why has McNasty spoken earlier this year of a lack of backing in the transfer market at a time when directors'' loans were repaid?[/quote]
Yes. Based on our own accounts and national newspapers lists published after that 2013 summer window shut we spent overall about £28m, and received around £3m, so a net spend of £25m. Going on those lists, Chelsea, Man City and Soton had a greater net spend, and Cardiff about the same. But the rest all spent less: Arsenal, Villa, Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea,, Spurs, West Browm and West Ham.Given that the Premier League is the richest league in the word, with the greatest transfer spend, it is quite fair to extrapolate from that that if we were about fourth in net spending in the PL we were going to be pretty highly placed in an overall European table. For example, Juventus, one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world, bought players for about 14m euros, and sold 27m euros'' worth, so a minus net spend. Do you really need me to go one?So as far as 2013 goes, we spent, as the accounts show and as Bowkett said, a record amount, and had one of the largest net spends in Europe. As for 2015, as McNally himself said while he was still CEO, the money was there, provided by the directors, but went unspent because deals he was trying to pull off fell through at the last minute.Against all those facts you have a lone Saturday night tweet from the CEO who was sacked/resigned in the wake of a second relegation for which those failed deals were a significant factor. I know which I give more credence to.

Thank you for this response.

I will accept in good faith what you have stated here.

Obviously, as Man City have spent £3bn on transfer fees and wages since the boy Mansoor took over, it just shows how far Norwich City will have to row the boat out if they ever want to achieve the transformational change that has occurred at Eastlands, or even just stay at the top table for as long as, say, Stoke City.