Sign in to follow this  
 steadyboy

sky red button

Watched v. Ipswich game on Sky red button.

Transmission extremely poor, picture blurred, no action replays,

no close ups. Seemed like only one camera covering the game.

Second rate coverage, disgrace.

Anyone else agree?

[quote user=" steadyboy"]Watched v. Ipswich game on Sky red button.

Anyone else agree?[/quote]

Ah, the joys of HD digital television. How did we ever cope before?

Coverage befitting of the standard of football on show, some might suggest.

It is better than nothing, although I really don''t know why it can''t be in HD?

[quote user="ricardo"]Yeah, but better than nothing👍[/quote]

Exactly this, Ricardo 👍. I asked Sky if they have plans to upgrade the coverage to HD, and the lady on the phone said ‘eventually’. Think it’ll be a long time before you get all the benefits of a main event broadcast though, like everything, I guess it comes down to money. Still, it’s certainly better than nothing - could still make out our friends faces down the road when Mo banged the goal in though 😂

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user=" steadyboy"]Watched v. Ipswich game on Sky red button.

Ah, the joys of HD digital television. How did we ever cope before?

Coverage befitting of the standard of football on show, some might suggest.

It is better than nothing, although I really don''t know why it can''t be in HD?[/quote]
I think you only get it in HD if you have Sky Q.

That’s interesting re the HD option, TC. The woman from Sky said it wasn’t available in HD currently, how confusing!

[quote user="Alex "]That’s interesting re the HD option, TC. The woman from Sky said it wasn’t available in HD currently, how confusing![/quote]
I don''t have Sky Q but I read it here,
For Sky Q customers, the matches on the red button will be available in HD quality and the service comes at no extra cost.

Cheers for the info, TC. What with Christmas coming up and everything, I will make sure she gets her P45 in the morning 😉

I have Sky Q and it is in HD, so no complaints from me. Didn''t realise it wasn''t in HD for all customers though!

[quote user=" steadyboy"]Watched v. Ipswich game on Sky red button.

I don''t see why the game should be expected to be on television at all, but presumably for Sky to provide the kind of coverage you want, with several cameras etc, for extra games, as opposed to the featured game or games, would be very expensive and require a considerably greater subscription fee.
A Millwall-supporting journalist on one of The Guardian podcasts recently complained bitterly as you have done about one-camera coverage of his team at Sheffield Wednesday on August 22. A night, if I understood the podder correctly, where Villa vs Brentford was Sky''s featured game, but red-button coverage was available for some or even all the other five Championship matches. To provide more than very basic coverage for those five would be enormously expensive. Subscribers would have to be willing to pay for that.
And that is without getting into the argument as to whether televising so many games in the Campionship would end up hitting attendances, and so a club''s largest source of income.

I think they could have been a bit more open about what it would look like beforehand- I was a bit baffled watching the Preston game and having no idea who was coming off and on or not getting any replays for the goals.

Having sat through it once though I was less surprised on Sunday. I guess though that some folks will believe that a local derby like this deserved a bit more.

I hope that none of you Red Button watchers dared post on the match thread, or comment on any other threads afterwards. You couldn''t possibly have anything worthwhile to say; you weren''t there ........

Well I was there for what it was worth 2 piss poor team both who will finish in the bottom half at best.

As for Skys Red Button one man and his dog with a camera, Sky should come clean on the quality of the coverage watched a couple but no improvement on quality sound or picture

[quote user="ricardo"]Yeah, but better than nothing👍[/quote]
especially for those naughty folk watching it on one of those ''hillegal'' streams
which would suggest quite a few on here given the numbers who clicked on the post
and still better than watching the wireless in the garden shed

I''d happily pay a monthly subscription to purely watch our games (preferably in HD and I do have Sky Q), I don''t think there would be the hit on attendances that some suggest, and certainly from a financial perspective I''d argue that clubs would actually make more from this sort of deal, but on the flip side you have the potential hit to the atmosphere in the ground to consider.

Had forked out the tenner in advance and was pleased to see that the ifollow video coverage (UK) was markedly different to Sky. Multiple camera angles, replays and most importantly - Radio Norfolk commentary.

why would there be a hit to atmosphere if they was no going to be the hit to attendances as suggested ?

[quote user="foxruels"]Had forked out the tenner in advance and was pleased to see that the ifollow video coverage (UK) was markedly different to Sky. Multiple camera angles, replays and most importantly - Radio Norfolk commentary.
[/quote]
some naughty folk got that for free
with Ben Gunn chuntering away nineteen to the dozen, as well