Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

It's a results driven business

It is exciting to see Aarons, Jamal, Godfrey, Thompson all playing, and does show we''re trying to invest in our youth product.

But on a more negative side it''s a results driven business. One win in six is poor by all standards. And having been soundly beaten by Leeds it''s Middlesboro up next. Another defeat, followed by two tricky away ties and we could be in serious trouble.

We all said we''d give Farke 10 games (imo the board will stick with him) but we could realistically be in bottom three by time these games are up, IF Farke can''t get results. And if that happens it''s hard to see how any manager starts to turn things round.

What do people think

Since when has it been an entertainment business Nutty?

If I want that I go to the circus, theatre or cinema.

Maybe that''s what farke said at half time. Go out and entertain-hang on, we wouldn''t keep passing about then lol

40+ years supporting ncfc, can''t really feel you get entertainment with our yellow and greens!

Plenty of frustration, not so much entertainment!

[quote user="Samwam27"]40+ years supporting ncfc, can''t really feel you get entertainment with our yellow and greens!

Plenty of frustration, not so much entertainment![/quote]
''twas ever thus
much as it is up and down the land
the football supporters lot is not a happy one

"but knives will be well and truly sharpened"
among those who, anywhere else, would not be allowed sharp objects

Of course it''''s a results driven business, and every Norwich manager will ultimately be judged on that by the crowd. And when the crowd turns, times up.

Pretty much sums it up for me Surfer. 
The result on Sunday was a draw though. A lot of posters predicted a draw. Some openly proclaimed they feared a defeat. Lincoln gleefully regaled us all how certain the impending defeat was.
The game before that we went through to the next round of the cup at Cardiff. A result to add to this week''s business. Last week''s results were a defeat to Leeds and a win against Preston. How does that fortnight stack up business wise?

[quote user="Samwam27"]It is exciting to see Aarons, Jamal, Godfrey, Thompson all playing, and does show we''re trying to invest in our youth product.

But on a more negative side it''s a results driven business. One win in six is poor by all standards. And having been soundly beaten by Leeds it''s Middlesboro up next. Another defeat, followed by two tricky away ties and we could be in serious trouble.

We all said we''d give Farke 10 games (imo the board will stick with him) but we could realistically be in bottom three by time these games are up, IF Farke can''t get results. And if that happens it''s hard to see how any manager starts to turn things round.

What do people think[/quote]

Professional sport is 100% a results business. You win, you drive atmosphere, ticket and merch sales, you as fans feel better, better players want to play for you and the area you play in gets a big boost. If you can not get the results then the opposite happens.

Our results need to improve.

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="Samwam27"]It is exciting to see Aarons, Jamal, Godfrey, Thompson all playing, and does show we''re trying to invest in our youth product.

What do people think[/quote]

Professional sport is 100% a results business. You win, you drive atmosphere, ticket and merch sales, you as fans feel better, better players want to play for you and the area you play in gets a big boost. If you can not get the results then the opposite happens.

Our results need to improve.[/quote]

Glad we won at Cardiff because I will be at Wycombe but that result was against a Cardiff B side and Colin was not that arsed. 5 points in league is not great and needs to improve given that Farke and Webber both said they were very happy with business done in the summer.

One major positive yesterday was Hanley who having missed pre season now seems to be getting back to his best

My first game would have been start of 62/63 season. I had to wait ten years to experience our first promotion. If I had to wait another ten years for the next one, I would still support my team through good times and bad. And when the bad times are really bad that promotion is the sweeter for it.

With so many youngsters breaking through into the first team, I''m taking this to be the start of a new chapter in our history and I wouldn''t miss it for anything.

I claim no originality to the comment, Ricardo has said something very similar several times, each manager has to balance keeping the owners and the crowd on-side or he won''t be employed very long. The first priority is the owners, but ultimately if the crowd turn on you then the owners know what they must do - for right or wrong. Farke IMO still has a little time, but yes results must improve, we won''t put up with being in the bottom six or so very long.

The balancing act between board and fans is probably quite important here - the board’s expectations are probably lower currently than a lot (but not all) of the fans. If we’re looking to stay up, secure our finances and look to rebuild for a promotion push in a couple of years then Farke will get more time following poor results than if we want playoffs this season.

As long as we aren’t seriously in a relegation scrap, I think his job will be safe for this season and probably next.

[quote user="Aggy"]The balancing act between board and fans is probably quite important here - the board’s expectations are probably lower currently than a lot (but not all) of the fans. If we’re looking to stay up, secure our finances and look to rebuild for a promotion push in a couple of years then Farke will get more time following poor results than if we want playoffs this season.

As long as we aren’t seriously in a relegation scrap, I think his job will be safe for this season and probably next.[/quote]

It''s whether 22 points from 22 games is enough...hopefully will pick up not that confident

I think I will stick with going to the football, as Nutty Nigel has said. Of course the results the team achieve are all important as they will ultimately dictate the fate of the manager/head coach, as Ricardo has said in the past "they all run out of road eventually". The thing that sets football apart for me is its ability to surprise, the passion that it raises in fans and its ability to divide opinion amongst fans. And we must never forget that their are 92 league teams in England, they all want to be top of their respective leagues, but unfortunately for all fans, regardless of who they support, that just is not possible....... I really do love football........

[quote user="yellowrider120"]Ben - you''re mistaken if you believe that it''s...''just kids'' who have concerns about the competence of Farke.
please point out where I said that

Of course he and the boy Webber inherited a hell of a mess bequeathed largely by an incompetent board. [/quote]
nope, the club had only two years of parachute payments to cover PL contracts that lasted beyond that - not a mess, merely the consequence of only one season in the PL
what they did inherit was an almost sell out crowd and a very healthy youth set up - if only to be able to raise around £45m
I''m not sure on top of what two should be playing but it does not sound like the fluid game of football I played (still do) and watch

Well , I think the results do affect the enjoyment of going to the football a bit... I remember the Walker days and the Lambert saturdays , when you were anticipating another fantastic performance by the lads...

But experience tells you that this is not going to be true every season, so you just have to accept it.

I still want to go the football, it''s saturday and it''s what I want to do(I''m a football fan, I support my club!)... but when you get to your seat and open the matchday programme, you just don''t feel the same sense of excitement. I remember posting a similar remark on here when we had Roeder at the helm

Farke has come from a very different back ground to a lot of Managers / Head coaches

His Job at Dortmund was not results based it was Getting players ready for 1st team

In a development league it does not matter if you finish 4th/ 6th etc it is how many 1st team players he produced for the 1st team

This is what i think is lacking he might well be a Fantastic development coach but has he got the tactics / style of play to win games in the championship

Like others have said if the board are happy to bob around mid table producing players etc then he will keep his job as he is doing what is asked

i would Prefer a more driven manager who is a winner with someone like Farke as a No2 or Development coach for under 23''s

My view is that the results Farke will be judged on will be:
  • Steadying the ship
  • Getting the academy-to-first-team-to-sale conveyor going
With these two aims achieved - perhaps by the end of this season, maybe by the end of next Farke will depart back to Germany with this reputation enhanced and a job at a 1. Bundesliga team.  NCFC will then look to recruit a head coach with the aim of pushing onwards and upwards. 
I believe the short term aim of the board (including Webber) is to stabilize - with anything else a bonus.  Only once that production line of young talent is established and finances balanced will the aim shift again to promotion.  The tea-leaves also suggest that this will coincide with external investment.
To clarify I''m not saying that as a club we lack ambition, or that we''re deliberately not trying - rather NCFC are taking a pragmatic, long-term approach.  It wouldn''t surprise me if Webber has a ten-year plan for his NCFC career which culminates with a move to (e.g.) Liverpool following successfully establishing Norwich City in the Premier League.

His Job at Dortmund was not results based it was Getting players ready for 1st team

True and someone has to start somewhere but as Double N says, its just football. We don''t need anything contrived or developing, just to watch a decent game of football and your team winning or not losing anyway.

That isn''t always possible but when it does, you get promoted and in our case, almost certainly come back down at some time. Just enjoy it when you are there and accept it when you are not.

And take each game individually.If it is poor say so, don''t make excuses. And if it is good say so, and give credit.

If our results get much worse, I doubt that we would be seen as attractive to potential young talent... would the 3 lads in our first team have joined from Luton (2) & York if we had been in L1?

"the results were never ever this bad under Paul Lambert"

Maybe not but the jeers I heard at the end of the matches when we drew 1-1 with both Preston and Doncaster at home back in the 2010/11 season were louder than anything I''ve heard at Norwich while under Farke. I remember Hoolahan getting stick for missing a pen in one of those too. (in fact people forget Wes got quite a bit of stick in his early years for us - perhaps we should tell Leitner not to worry)

We had come up from league 1 the season before but while having a fantastic season had the gaul to draw against these mid table peons.

my points is expectations will always rise as fast, if not faster than any club does and fans will always have things to jeer about. The club will progress regardless.