Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Godfrey

Godfrey seems to have built his reputation ob loan as an energetic midfielder. I feel this is the type of player our midfield is missing at the moment a direct attacking physical presence. This being the case I am bemused Farke seems intent on playing him as a CB especially when we have Zimmerman who is competent in that role. What are peoples thoughts on the lads best position

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Godfrey seems to have built his reputation ob loan as an energetic midfielder. I feel this is the type of player our midfield is missing at the moment a direct attacking physical presence. This being the case I am bemused Farke seems intent on playing him as a CB especially when we have Zimmerman who is competent in that role. What are peoples thoughts on the lads best position[/quote]
Varied. Some will like it, some won''t.
Should we excepting of ''competent'' when we could have better?

Agreed we need more bite in the midfield at times cue: thoughts of BJ.

Thompson seems to be ace too.

The very passionate, hardworking Zimmo is being a bit neglected at the moment as well.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Godfrey seems to have built his reputation ob loan as an energetic midfielder. I feel this is the type of player our midfield is missing at the moment a direct attacking physical presence. This being the case I am bemused Farke seems intent on playing him as a CB especially when we have Zimmerman who is competent in that role. What are peoples thoughts on the lads best position[/quote] Godfrey may have "made his reputation" among the less well-informed as a midfielder while on loan, but at Norwich he has always been seen as a very promising central defender. That the club see CB as the role he is destined to excel in has been publicly stated repeatedly. His appearances in other positions, including not just midfield but also RB, shouldn''t come as a surprise. It provides competitive game time and valuable experience for a very promising youngster.

Look at the Sky highlights and you’ll see just after they scored one of their players run half the length of the pitch without any challenge to shoot just past the post. Play Godfrey as defensive mid and I bet it wouldn’t have happened.

I think that, given McLean and Thompson''s injuries, there is a chance we may well see him playing at DCM in the near future. Needs must, and we have cover at CB.

Certainly, we looked far more balanced, and therefore better in an attacking sense, when Farke bought on Thompson and we had two sitting in a little.

Never understood why he keeps getting played at the back, was exceptional the few times I saw him in his proper position for Shrewsbury, including against West Ham. Sums up the current state of the head coach though, but that’s a whole other thread.

"Godfrey may have "made his reputation" among the less well-informed as a midfielder while on loan"

Any need for such condescension? Godfrey has about 50 league games under his belt and the vast majority of those were in midfield. People thinking he''s a good midfielder isn''t due to being less well informed, it is from actually watching him play there. He might turn into a good central defender too but there is vastly less evidence for that right now.

If we eventually settle for a back four then he is unlucky to start at the moment, injuries aside.

He made his name at Shrewsbury as a midfiled player. So it is natural for us to expect him to play there considering the woeful time some have in that position.

Personally, I like a back three and would like to see him in one of the three positions.

[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"]Never understood why he keeps getting played at the back, was exceptional the few times I saw him in his proper position for Shrewsbury, including against West Ham. Sums up the current state of the head coach though, but that’s a whole other thread.[/quote]
If you listened to the interview with Farke where he spoke at length about Godfrey he explained quite clearly why he saw him as a future centre back and also that he went on loan last season as a midfielder deliberately because Farke felt that experience would be important for his development into a top class centre back.
Now you can disagree with Farke''s reasoning but it made much more sense to me than your throwaway assumption that he doesn''t know what he''s doing!
Time will tell of course but I think there is already a fair body of evidence to suggest that Farke knows exactly what he''s doing when it comes to involving young players in the first team.

I agree with the idea of him being perfect in a back 3- you always need a player who can carry the ball out from defense and he''d fit the bill perfectly.

Having a bit of versatility is a not a bad thing at all.

Yorkshire has asked an interesting question and it''s interesting reading replies. I think Godfrey is best breaking up play when watching his Shrewsbury performances. In particular I always thought he looked quite the natural at reading the play from a defensive mindset. It''s almost that his best position is a kind of sweeper ( yet we don''t really see that role in the championship do we....defensive midfielders are not quite ''sweepers'' in the purest sense). I do trust Farke though in his understanding of young player development. We as fans should trust his ability in this domain as we can see the results before our own eyes...think Aarons, Lewis, Maddison, even Thompson recently. Then we have strikers out and about on loan learning.

I also think Farke genuinely wants to bring through youth. As Nutty has said, we now don''t seem to want to think of a transitional phase, yet how can we not have one in bringing through our own fruit from the academy. It''s a tough balance. Now, if we can start to build a momentum in results before Xmas then more fans will trust the overall strategy. Our poor start has made lots of folk either critical or they are starting to show concern.

I look forward to his development. Yet I do worry we will lose him and Lewis next summer. That would indicate success in their management yet also it would be a new loss that the team has to cope with. Who would wish to be a manager trying to manage everyones'' expectations? ( generous salary of course excepted!).

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]
[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"]Never understood why he keeps getting played at the back, was exceptional the few times I saw him in his proper position for Shrewsbury, including against West Ham. Sums up the current state of the head coach though, but that’s a whole other thread.[/quote]
If you listened to the interview with Farke where he spoke at length about Godfrey he explained quite clearly why he saw him as a future centre back and also that he went on loan last season as a midfielder deliberately because Farke felt that experience would be important for his development into a top class centre back.
Now you can disagree with Farke''s reasoning but it made much more sense to me than your throwaway assumption that he doesn''t know what he''s doing!
Time will tell of course but I think there is already a fair body of evidence to suggest that Farke knows exactly what he''s doing when it comes to involving young players in the first team.
[/quote]

Shall I view what you just said as a “throwaway assumption” seeing as I don’t agree with the waffle you have just spewed out?

[quote user="king canary"]"Godfrey may have "made his reputation" among the less well-informed as a midfielder while on loan"

Any need for such condescension? Godfrey has about 50 league games under his belt and the vast majority of those were in midfield. People thinking he''s a good midfielder isn''t due to being less well informed, it is from actually watching him play there. He might turn into a good central defender too but there is vastly less evidence for that right now.[/quote]The current idea that Godfrey''s "proper" position is in midfield derives largely from the coverage of him on loan at Shrewsbury; but it simply is Shrewsbury watchers, pundits and media jumping to an ill-informed conclusion. Nothing I said implied he couldn''t also do a good job in midfield; what I was correcting was the idea, rapidly gaining acceptance irrespective of its validity just by being parroted again and again, that he is being played out of his best position when selected at CB. 
Nor is it true that this is Daniel Farke''s idiosyncratic view. It has been a consistent assessment by Godfrey''s coaches since signing for us in 2016. City fans and local media really have no excuse for thinking otherwise. Farke''s comments in the interview quoted by Creative Midfielder should also put an end to grumbles about him being played out of position when selected at RB. It''s a widely accepted part of the education of any young CB that they learn first hand the roles of those around them. 

[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"]

Shall I view what you just said as a “throwaway assumption” seeing as I don’t agree with the waffle you have just spewed out?[/quote]
View it however you like, makes no difference to me.
You''ve said what you think, I''ve said what I think, we totally disagree about Farke and we both think the other is talking complete rubbish.
Have I missed anything??

What worries me most about Godfrey isn’t the position he plays for us but the very fact of him actually playing for us regularly and us getting the benefit from him. What would disappoint me is, if he’s as good as he’s being touted, that we take an age to integrate him and before you know it, a big offer comes in, he’s sold and he has about a dozen full 90’s to his name with us. I can’t help but think we lost a season out of Maddison because we were reluctant to give him a chance.

Dont get the hype around him at all, although admittedly not seen him much, but I thought he was poor versus Stevenage in the cup, lost all his aerial battles and dont remember him winning one header.

And at fault for the goal sunday, yet again losing the aerial battle. Goal was then deflected off him, which is bad luck i guess, but win the header, like Klose would have done, then the danger is gone.

Sorry but I dont get the hype around Godfrey, or Thompson for that matter, and would have much rather Zimmerman had come on.

It''s frustrating that he played consistently well in DCM for Shrewsbury all last season, we''re crying out for some energy and bite in that position, and yet Farke hasn''t even given him a chance there yet.

Even more frustrating Farke only seems to consider him as a defender.

imo he''d be great for us in midfield, and if he got his chance I do think he''d keep Tettey out.

i Think he makes a great DM and i would play him instead of Tettey

he has more pace i also think his passing is better

his pace can get him up and down the middle and if a AM from the other side breaks he would be able to cover quicker than Tettey

Oh dear oh dear oh dear Matt Morriss - we clearly can''t tell the difference between Jamal Lewis and Ben Godfrey can we? Watch the Ipswich goal again!!!

I''d actually argue if Klose had stayed on, we wouldn''t have conceded against Ipswich. Godfrey caught himself in no-mans land when it had been clear that our CBs had been told to aggressively attack the ball; not so much a criticism but you often see that in younger centre-halves.
I''d say if he''s destined to become the next big thing at CB then he really needs a loan at a decent level, starting most weeks, to learn it. Playing the occasional 20 minutes or cup game teaches nothing.