Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

Are we getting better?

Compare the playoff final team v''s our who played v Ipswich - are we individually better or worse off? IMO :

Ruddy v Krul Downgrade

Whittaker v Aarons TBD

Martin v Klose Upgrade

Bassong v Hanley Upgrade

Olsson v Lewis Wash

Tettey v Tettey Wash

Redmond v Hernandez TBD

Howson v Leitner Downgrade

Hoolahan v Buendia TBD

Johnson v Pukki Wash

Jerome v Rhodes Downgrade

One of those teams won promotion, the other has currently won one game from six in the Championship. I wonder which is better? 🙈😆👏👏👏

Why not compare it with the side that got relegated to league one? Or the side that beat Bayern Munich?

It’s a neat new angle to say that we’re sh1te though, we’ll done for that.

Am excited by the players we have now and don''t really think you can compare with past teams - at least until the team has had a chance to develop properly.......we''ve only just got a new front line going in Pukki, Rhodes, Buendia and Hernandez in his first proper season.  We have a new goalkeeper who needs a little time to find his best form.  The midfield looks cracking to me with so many good players - Trybull, Leitner, McLean, Vrancic, Thompson, Tettey.   Lewis and Aarons are brilliant young players who have been given a chance - when was the last time we had two such young full backs of so much obvious quality?  The central defence looks strong with four very good options in Klose Hanley Zimmermann and Godfrey. 
So you can forget the comparisons imo, let''s wait until this team has grown in stature through experience rather than write them off  six games into a season when there have been so many changes. The proof of the pudding will be later in this season when the team have had enough games to play the style of football required a bit more instinctively.

1) quality of squad worst in years

2) finances worst in years

3) league position worst in years

4) lowest average crowd in years

There is no evidence what so ever that we are progressing

[quote user="CANARYKING"]At this rate we’ll still be using the word “ transition “ in ten years time![/quote]
Not so.  This season has to see some improvement - and it will imo. And once the confidence is up then the challenge is really on.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="CANARYKING"]At this rate we’ll still be using the word “ transition “ in ten years time![/quote]
Not so.  This season has to see some improvement - and it will imo. And once the confidence is up then the challenge is really on.
[/quote]
Of course you can be in transition both forwards & backwards so yes we are definitely in transition

Of course the caveat those with an axe to grind is that the side that won the play off final was purchased in the main with PL money and had a far higher wage bill paid for by parachute payments.
Perhaps a comparison between the cost of
RVW
Butterfield
Fer
Ayala
Beechio
VOO
Naismith
and the signings by Farke

i think the finance is sorted out now

the wages we have we can afford so no black hole in accounts each year like the last couple

if we had not sold murphy and maddison we would have been in big trouble ,

what has that left use with ? not a bad team on paper but a head coach that can not get the best out of the team as a whole sum of parts ,

so finance better now as we are spending what we can afford

team good enough to be higher in the league

manager / head coach worse off !!

Black shorts versus green,
A situation also brought about by financial constraint

Different coach.

Different opposition

Different players

Different wages

I know the OP says individually but I don''t think Howson would be any better under Farke than Hughton or Neil.

And would we have been better if Ruddy had passed the ball out like Gunn did instead of look kicks.

Not easy to compare and we all have our favourites.

Have been catching up on some full match highlights via IFollow and have no doubt that Moritz Leitner could prove to be a top act.

It''s not easy being patient but true City fans will be, let''s judge this squad and coaching staff over Xmas and not before... CTID OTBC

"Have been catching up on some full match highlights via IFollow and have no doubt that Moritz Leitner could prove to be a top act."

Agree with that.

My opinion about him has shot up after Sunday.

It had previously been coloured by comments on this forum, by the Leeds game and by precious little else apart from highlights and distant memories of last season.

I had therefore thought him to be a lightweight, luxury player hardly suited to the rigors of Championship life.

Mick Mills on my IFollow commentary (through the ITFC site) was generally biased in favour of the home side but he singled out Leitner''s contribution and influence during the game more than once.

I thought that Leitner was industrious, skilful and streetwise.

He also scored a very good goal.

We have a good ''un there who will only get better.

[quote user="Surfer"]
Whittaker v Aarons TBD
Hoolahan v Buendia TBD [/quote]
Think you''ve been a bit generous with a TBC on those two.
If Arrons is not going to be an upgrade on Whittaker one might as why is he here.
If Buendia is going to have to go some to be an upgrade on Wessi.

[quote user="Making Plans"]
[quote user="Surfer"]
Whittaker v Aarons TBD
Hoolahan v Buendia TBD [/quote]
Think you''ve been a bit generous with a TBC on those two.
If Arrons is not going to be an upgrade on Whittaker one might as why is he here.
If Buendia is going to have to go some to be an upgrade on Wessi.
[/quote]
There is a decent chance the Buendia of the next season or two will be at least as good as the Hoolahan of the last season or two.

Well no has to be the answer, we finished lower at the end each of the last three seasons.

So unless we get 13th or better than we''re not getting better are we?

OK projecting to the end of this season... IMO we have the potential to be a better team than the one that won promotion via the playoffs, albeit the competition looks stiffer this year. I also think Klose, Pinto and Olivera will offloaded next Jan.

Ruddy v Krul Wash

Whittaker v Aarons Upgrade

Martin v Hanley Upgrade

Bassong v Godfrey Wash

Olsson v Lewis Wash

Tettey v Thompson Wash

Johnson v Leitner Upgrade

Redmond v Hernandez Downgrade

Howson v McLean Wash

Hoolahan v Buendia Wash

Jerome v Rhodes Upgrade

Leitner was appalling against Ipswich and gave the ball

away numerous times. Good job he scored as he couldn’t do anything right. I was there. I really don’t know what some people were watching.

Absolutely bonkers.

Max Aarons - promising and exciting a prospect as he is - has played two games. To suggest he’s an upgrade on someone that played 150 times for Rangers and was capped thirty times by Scotland is batshit mental. He may well end up the better player but for heavens sake...

Likewise with the Bassong and Olssen and Tettey comparisons.

Potential is one thing but to suggest that a promising kid matches up to those seasoned internationals at THIS stage is fanciful in the extreme.

Of course, let’s hope that they fulfil the promise they’ve shown but let’s not expect them to sprint before they can crawl.

Yes true about Whittaker, but the scapegoat merchants seemed in need of one more dig for old time''s sake.

SW had a lot of good moments for NCFC, including in the Premier League.

We are a WIP, hence i wont compare our present squad to any previous one. What i do see is two summer windows and one winter window where the playing staff, maybe only Alex Tettey apart, thats completely and utterly been overhauled, Russ Martin leaving just about the last vestige of the old squad finally gone from those promotion / relegation years.
Looking back on last season, despite it all, i think DF did a good job getting us in mid table, considering all the changes that happened. This last summer window i think  surpassed all my expectations in getting some good players into the club, looking at our squad now, i think it has the makings and potential to not only get better but in fact much better. But lets not forget there is still a lot of gelling to be done on the pitch still, thats why i think DF''s  real job is only just beginning, as the team itself can only now be called a DF team.
Are we getting better?..depends what aspect of the club you think about and what previous time or era you compare it with. But for sure a couple of areas where we are getting better is at Colney, which is getting its much needed upgrade, and in the academy products that are getting into the first team squad. Those two things by themselves are a big big improvement on recent seasons.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]There is a decent chance the Buendia of the next season or two will be at least as good as the Hoolahan of the last season or two.
[/quote]
Aren''t we comparing the current lot against the last team to get promotion, when Hoolahan was still in his prime.