Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

The scum match thread

Was actually my first away game.  Tremedous excitement, spoiled by Peter Morris.  Think he scored both goals, one a long shot for which he was well known....shame he didn''t do that after he joined Norwich.

I remember going to Scumville when we lost 5-0, Johnson scoring in like the first minute and it was all downhill from there. But what sticks out most was being in that away pub across from the train station pre-match and someone decided to put "Everybody Hurts" on the jukebox... Horrible day :(

There is very little consolation in the bright performances of our young players when you know they will be sold at the first sign of a vaguely attractive bid.

We definitely have more quality than Ipswich (not hard it’s the worst Ipswich side I’ve seen in ages, literally no talent or quality) but we could have lost that. Horrendous spell after half time AGAIN. I don’t know if he drugs them or something but we come out every week after half time sloppy and passive.

I was also very concerned that throughout the entire match they had two men unmarked on the edge of our box at every set piece waiting for the headers out which they got on a number of occasions. A better side would have punished us. I can’t vekueve he didn’t address that.

About the only real positive is we didn’t lose.

Well this has turned into a strange thread. Full of people almost gleefully reminiscing in defeats they have witnessed at Portman road in the past in a bizarre effort to defend todays abject peformance. We have just scraped a draw against one of the worst sides in the league and people are delighting in the fact. How low we have sunk.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]There is very little consolation in the bright performances of our young players when you know they will be sold at the first sign of a vaguely attractive bid.

We definitely have more quality than Ipswich (not hard it’s the worst Ipswich side I’ve seen in ages, literally no talent or quality) but we could have lost that. Horrendous spell after half time AGAIN. I don’t know if he drugs them or something but we come out every week after half time sloppy and passive.

I was also very concerned that throughout the entire match they had two men unmarked on the edge of our box at every set piece waiting for the headers out which they got on a number of occasions. A better side would have punished us. I can’t vekueve he didn’t address that.

About the only real positive is we didn’t lose.[/quote]
Attaboy, Jim. I agree. We would all be happier if we didn''t produce any young players that Premier League clubs kept wanting to sign for shedloads of money.

"There is very little consolation in the bright

performances of our young players when you know they will be sold at the

first sign of a vaguely attractive bid."
Or they will move upwards to the PL and far bigger wages - that''s how it works.
As that movement upwards is how we signed Maddison, Lewis Godfrey and Thompson.
Or perhaps their former clubs, like you appear to be suggesting with us, should only sign a contract with a player if it stipulates they cannot move for better pay or to a club in a higher division .
Perhaps you should find another stick

Sorry can’t get excited about it. We are becoming like a modern day Crewe Alexandra. If that floats your boat then so be it.

Don’t get me wrong there is something satisfying in seeing young players come through and flourish (the young full back pairing by far the biggest positive yesterday) and it would be different if I felt we could keep them for a while and build an exciting young team around them but Uber the current regime we won’t and that’s why it’s scant consolation.

Villa who so many of our fans deride (and who are having a poor time but will absolutely end up challenging this season one way or another) kept Grealish and have signed Bolasie and Abraham’s. Yet still many of our fan base revel in the moral high ground as we scrape a draw with the worst Ipswich team since the 80s.

Villa''s fans aren''t any happier than you Jimbo. Fighting amongst themselves on Saturday. This discontent as fans of about 30 clubs see themselves entitled to being established PL is becoming an epidemic...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Villa''s fans aren''t any happier than you Jimbo. Fighting amongst themselves on Saturday. This discontent as fans of about 30 clubs see themselves entitled to being established PL is becoming an epidemic...[/quote]

The point is Nutty that they won’t put up with it. This is unacceptable for them (being 5 places above us) and either Bruce gets them going or he will be sacked very quickly. They will then improve and challenge because they have been able to retain their “star” player and indeed bring in other proven quality players due to their evil foreign owners who were found and bought them in about 2 weeks despite there apparently being nobody out there wanting to buy championship clubs.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Villa''s fans aren''t any happier than you Jimbo. Fighting amongst themselves on Saturday. This discontent as fans of about 30 clubs see themselves entitled to being established PL is becoming an epidemic...[/quote]

The point is Nutty that they won’t put up with it. This is unacceptable for them (being 5 places above us) and either Bruce gets them going or he will be sacked very quickly. They will then improve and challenge because they have been able to retain their “star” player and indeed bring in other proven quality players due to their evil foreign owners who were found and bought them in about 2 weeks despite there apparently being nobody out there wanting to buy championship clubs.[/quote]
Didn''t realise that how it definitely works, sounds easy, is it?

Jim, it never ceases to amaze me how some of our supporters put the most negative slant on our club affairs as possible, whilst viewing other clubs through rose-tinted glasses.

Villa just got stuffed 4-1 away at Sheff Utd., and whilst we lost there recently it was certainly a far more competitive match and result. Factor in their 1-1 draw at Poorman Road, given the binners had 10 men for the majority of the game, despite the fact Villa have kept their "star" player, and I would suggest they are in a lot of trouble.

What''s interesting is that you seem to think they''ll sack Bruce (who is absolutely proven at this level) and improve because their fans "won''t put up with it". I would suggest this is very far from a foregone conclusion.

Ultimately, I think we''re a bit let down as we should be beating a team as bad as Ipswich; at the same time, Ipswich feel let down as they should be winning games like yesterday. A draw in the end, is enough.
Ipswich tactically were more grounded than us, playing 2 up front to prevent our 4 from comfortably playing out- Hanley in this case is the weak link, being most likely to send the ball long when closed down. This, coupled with their almost dogmatic agricultural style, meant that the midfield was almost always running back and forth under a ball 20 feet above them, damaging us as the midfield is where the biggest difference between the teams would be. When we did wrest control back from them and got the ball down, the difference in quality was starkly apparent and Leitner IMO had his best game for us, but when you can effectively eliminate Rhodes, Hernandez, Pukki, Leitner and Buendia as offensive players, Ipswich were always on the front foot.
At the end of the day, I think if it''s 0-0 going into the last 15 we win that. The telling pressure for the first half of the second half is the real worry, you could see the Ipswich goal coming a mile off- despite the fact that without a generous scoop of rancid luck from the bin, Krul would comfortably have dealt with the shot. In hindsight, credit to Farke for taking off an attacker in Buendia for a worker in Thompson which helped us stem the flow after their goal and get play moving the other way.
Personally, I would maybe see Hernandez swapped out for a bit as after his bright start he has faded, and although he''s performing as ok as a poacher can do in a target man role, I think Rhodes needs some time out as well. As mentioned above, when we''re fit, firing and pinging balls across the box he''s wonderful to have; when we aren''t in control of a game he''s a passenger ATM.

I wonder how many of this thread''s posters have been there and seen us lose.

One that comes to mind, I think it was 1965 Double N. And for some stupid reason I can''t visualise in any other way than, black and white. Everyone in grey mackintoshes I suppose.

It was the infamous Keelan on a skating rink, sand out at half time, City supporters invade pitch to stop them sanding.

Funny now but so angry at the time.

I wasn''t old enough to invade. I left that till Orient in 1972.

I think a point was an ok result. I''m no particular fan of Farke, but he made some brave selection decisions yesterday, and a good substitution to pull things back our way. Yes, the Binners look a poor side, but still to go there - one of only two matches they really have to play for each season - and get a point is ok.

Derbies are never the matches to judge a team on - though to me the positive was that we showed some heart to come back from a goal down, which is uncharted territory at Portman Road for us in recent years.

We''ll get a better idea of whether Farke''s project is progressing over the next four or five matches. Whining about an away draw that we came back into after being one down to me displays a strange sense of entitlement.

This Ipswich games was effectively the start of a new era. With Russell Martin leaving by one door, four youngsters came into the starting line up. This is exactly what so many people have been calling for, and at last it has come to pass.

Since we now have so many young players, now is the time to back them and support them. Whatever you think about the Board, the Manager or whoever, the youngsters need our backing if they are going to make the breakthrough.

[quote user="Mason 47"]
........... Ipswich tactically were more grounded than us, playing 2 up front to prevent our 4 from comfortably playing out - Hanley in this case is the weak link, being most likely to send the ball long when closed down....... [/quote] I think there is a real issue here with Hanley, which I can only see solved by reverting to a back three. Defensively he is more or less essential, but in terms of going forward he''s more or less a liability, not just because "he tends to send the ball long when closed down", but because even when given all the time in the world he seems incapable of the necessary accuracy. 

Only just caught the game as I’ve been away, can’t see what all the fuss is about?

We weren’t fantastic, Farke made the change from Emi to Thompson to gain a foothold in midfield and got the goal!

Great to blood some more youngsters in a Farm darby and remain unbeaten against the binners!

I’m struggling with some of our fans, times have changed and our squad isn’t that great, this seasons about settling into a financially secure level, giving our youngsters match time and building on our youngsters for the future.

There’s absolutely no point in moaning take the positives, we blooded four youngsters, we gave more match time to Thompson, we didn’t lose and another point closer to safety.

It’s a new season with much lower levels of expectations, please lower yours and start to enjoy the football for what it is now, financially restricted, with The Smith family’s Norwich City.

The Binners that celebrated their goal with the players have all had three match bans . I don’t think they got as far as the pitch did they but the principle is the same.

Probably about right, if only to encourage les autres (whoever Les is)
There is a difference between going onto the pitch during play, when the ball is dead (after a goal etc) and after the game.
Anything more in this case would not have been reasonable, binner or not.
ps how to do it properly
50secs onwards