Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Time flies by in the Yellow and Green.

I maybe a wippersnapper to some, but when I started supporting them, their claim to fame was the cup semi, but a few years after, we got promotion to the top division and it''s been roller-coaster ever since.  

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]

Today marks 50 years of supporting Norwich City. My first match was Norwich v Sheffield United 7th Sept 1968
[/quote]
I was there on the River End terrace that day.
There was a solitary Sheff Utd fan in front of me, probably in his 30''s, who kept yelling encouragement which brought a few irritated comments but then he went quiet when the second goal went in. [:D]
Glad you got to see a win for your first game.

The Blades were my first opponents but that was 1960.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Great stuff Swindon[Y]
I got there a couple of seasons ago.
Tilly had his 50th during the UEFA Cup run....
[/quote]
30th Nutty just 30th so 55 years this year. It was March 1963 and in the space of a few days it was evening FA Cup replay v Newcastle 5-0 and a league game on the Saturday v Stoke 6-0 although i cannot remember which game came first.

Probably beat most on here

Reg Foulkes lived near my school great centre half,

George Ephgrave 6ft 4 goalkeeper played a few games for city around 1948

[quote user="daly"]Probably beat most on here

Reg Foulkes lived near my school great centre half,

George Ephgrave 6ft 4 goalkeeper played a few games for city around 1948[/quote]Yes, Foulkes was a decent centre half but I rate Monty Norman the best I''ve ever seen and Charlie Billington the worst.Great days in the fifties standing on railway sleepers watching centre forwards like Ralph Hunt run through brick walls.[:D]different days, different game.[Y]

Grats Swindon. My inaugural visit to watch the first team was March 11th 1967, FA Cup 5th round. After Gordon Bolland and Co. had won at Old Trafford in a previous round cup fever was high, and 41,000 packed into the Carra, but we lost.
Previous to that id begged my grandad to take me to watch City. He had been buried alive by a bomb in the French trenches in WW1, in which 18 others had died, which affected  him rest of his life. In WW2 when Hitlers boys were bombing the City, grandad would pace up and down in his garden, refusing to go down the Anderson shelter. So because of this, for couple of years he would only take me to City reserve matches prior to the above match, he could handle a few hundred inside the ground, until i was old enough to take myself to the above match.

[quote user="Essjayess"]
Grats Swindon. My inaugural visit to watch the first team was March 11th 1967, FA Cup 5th round. After Gordon Bolland and Co. had won at Old Trafford in a previous round cup fever was high, and 41,000 packed into the Carra, but we lost.
Previous to that id begged my grandad to take me to watch City. He had been buried alive by a bomb in the French trenches in WW1, in which 18 others had died, which affected  him rest of his life. In WW2 when Hitlers boys were bombing the City, grandad would pace up and down in his garden, refusing to go down the Anderson shelter. So because of this, for couple of years he would only take me to City reserve matches prior to the above match, he could handle a few hundred inside the ground, until i was old enough to take myself to the above match.
[/quote]
Brilliant story Essjayess.
That was my first game. And our first game on MOTD. And can be watched here : -

Was also at that game. Got there late and so was on the concrete steps leading up the side of the overflowing River End terrace. Had to keep moving around and jumping up and down to see the players. Swept away by the tide of supporters at the end. One of those where you thought "I could lift my feet up and still get carried along" type crushes that happened in them there days.

I remember standing in the River End in 1971 / 72 watching Norwich play Chelsea in the League Cup.

That game got called off because of fog, and I also recall us playing Crystal Palace in a relegation game we won 2-1 about the same time? Too short to see very much, but that wasn''t the point of going as far as I recall, instead it was the atmosphere and the constant swaying of the crowd as your team attacked the opposition goal. Probably considered too dangerous now, and it probably was on reflection.

Ricado

How about Roy Hollis and Alf Ackerman

PS

Showed my wife''s relation this thread

He is going to the Wigan game as a guest of a NCFC employee to mark 80 years since watching his first game which was against Southampton who he tells me played in Blue and White in those days

[quote user="daly"]Ricado

How about Roy Hollis and Alf Ackerman

PS

Showed my wife''s relation this thread

He is going to the Wigan game as a guest of a NCFC employee to mark 80 years since watching his first game which was against Southampton who he tells me played in Blue and White in those days[/quote]
How could he tell ?
It was all black and white in those days..............I''ve seen those games on the telly
ps was it S''oton who were blue and white ?

Ben today wrote

how could he tell?

It was all Black and White in those days

I''ve seen those games on telly

I

Don''t understand question about what games you have seen on telly

Southampton played in Blue and White

Can''t remember my first game but it was around 1957 - I was 8 at the time so it''s getting on for 60 years for me.
By the time of the 59/60 Cup run, when I was 10, I was allowed to go on my own on the train from Acle to Norwich to watch the games.
Not many kids would be allowed to do that now.
I went to the Ilford, Swindon, Man U and Cardiff games but wasn''t allowed at any of the others because of the crush.

Had to check back on the Interweb for the date but my first ever game was Man Utd on 2/12/72. Remember Bobby Charlton''s strange hair. Crowd over 35000!

The first game I remember going to was Villa at home in 1967 when I''m pretty sure Hugh Curran scored from an acute angle with a shot on the turn,  so it''s at least 51 years for me.

my first match v Cardiff City 31st Aug 1946. First match after the 2nd world war. 2-1 win to Norwich. Goals from Cyril Walker and Billy Furness, At least seven in that team had been with city before the war, Cyril Spiers was the manager he later left and returned to Cardiff

I was at both games and vividly remember the ''crush'' of the crowd. Lots of fathers would take beer/milk crates for the kids to stand on. I think the Chelsea game Peter Osgood took advantage of the fog and punched one of our players knowing the ref couldn''t see that distance.

The Palace game was a bit of a relegation decider (I think) and Palace went ahead from a dubious penalty.

Interesting that there seem to be so many of my contemporaries on the website! Frustratingly, I can''t remember when my first game was, but was in 1967 or 8. I know Lol Morgan was the manager.Goodness, it was a very different world back then!