Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Nelson Oliveira and Farke's Man Management

Farke mentioned in the press confrence yesterday that there is no change in Oliveira''s situation and he will continue to be frozen out, despite not getting a move away in the transfer window.

I can''t help but to consider this a shame because, as Stewart Webber puts it, Nelson probably improves our squad if he stays. That''s not even mentioning his wasted wages every week.

He''s 27 and should be in his peak. He was our second top scorer last year. The year before, he scored 15 in 32! If he plays regular football, he would be in contention for the Portugal squad.

One of Farke''s stand out qualities has been to give youth a chance and integrate them into the first team. Maddison, Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey are (hopefully) just a few examples of many to come.

However it''s the more experienced players that he doesn''t seem able to handle. Oliveira clearly hasn''t helped himself but, if Farke can get over it, getting him and Rhodes fit and firing together would be huge for us.

Russell Martin was apparently too popular with the group, Marley Watkins went from hero to zero, Marshall hasn''t hit the heights that he showed glimpses of at Millwall and Cameron Jerome''s goals dried up under Farke.

For me, it could be one of two reasons why Farke should go - the other being a simple lack of improvement. We have a good squad - Hanley, Klose, Tettey, Hernandez and Rhodes forms a solid core - supplemented by McLean, Leitner, Lewis, Pukki, Marshall etc. We have a squad that should be challenging for at least the top ten.

I''m willing to give him more time to prove me wrong - we''ve had tough fixtures at the start of this season and it''s early days etc. - but I can''t help but think that a different manager could get a lot more out of this squad.

I don''t know if all clubs do this but we seem to do this on a regular basis each season .a certain player gets frozen out if they fall out with the manager or misbehave.

Seems a shame not to have least have him on the bench for when we are struggling to score .

It’s a difficult one with Oliveria. I find myself thinking if we decided to change manager then the first thing the new one would do would probably be to reintegrate a centre forward who can score goals at this level.

Part of me likes the fact that Farke sets clear boundaries and expectations on his players (I’m not close to the Russell Martin rumours) and the players who are flourishing under him appear to be the ones that are hungry, Lewis, Maddison, Aaron’s, Zimmerman etc and that’s not a bad sign, we want players busting a gut for the club.

I do think the club needs a solid period of stability and that this will probably help us to progress and I’m opposed to continually swapping managers, however the difficulty for me is evidencing that we are actually progressing. I don’t blindly expect Norwich to be competing with clubs with bigger resources, that haven’t been through the cost cutting transition we have been but I need to see something that gives me a spark.

I was talking to a lifelong diehard NCFC fan yesterday, you know the sort in tears at Wembley, bleeds yellow and green and idolises the community nature of the club etc and he said to me , I’m not actually looking forward to going tomorrow -that is a deeply worrying sign.

Really hoping for NCFC that Farke now takes us on a good run and gets the spirit to course back through the veins of the club, as I feel we need a lift to give us back some belief. As for today, I’d take a 1-0off howsons arse as long as we win!,

On a slightly different note, I watched Birmingham vs the baggies last night and still maintain that Garry monk would be an excellent manager for NCFC.

Just to clarify I know how son plays for them and it would of course be an own goal of his ar5e

Nelson Oliveira dug his own grave at Norwich City. If he had the attitude of a Rhodes, Pukki or Srbeny then he''d be in the squad (or at a bigger club than Norwich tbh).
Players get ''frozen out'' at most clubs when a new manager with new ideas comes in. You don''t actually think we''d be a better team with Yanic WIldschut and Russ Martin in the team do you?

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]
Nelson Oliveira dug his own grave at Norwich City. If he had the attitude of a Rhodes, Pukki or Srbeny then he''d be in the squad (or at a bigger club than Norwich tbh).
Players get ''frozen out'' at most clubs when a new manager with new ideas comes in. You don''t actually think we''d be a better team with Yanic WIldschut and Russ Martin in the team do you?
[/quote]

I agree that players get frozen out all the time at clubs, it’s just frustrating when resources are so tight that we can’t get a tune out of one of our most capable players. Is it not good man management to find a way to get something out of players who can deliver you value?

Russ and wildshut are different, russ was unfortunately on the decline and didn’t warrant a place and wildshut is up there with the worst NCFC signings of recent history and there would be better players in their position ahead of them.

I’m not convinced that any of our strikers are better than an up for it nelson, hence the frustration, however I do understand you can’t tolerate bad apples for ever

@KeiranShakari

No but I do think we need a manager who gets the best out of what''s available to him.

A team with Rhodes and Oliveira bagging somewhere near 15 goals each is a possibility that we shouldn''t dismiss.

I would love for Farke to finish the season in the top 10 and prove the doubters wrong but he seems to have set out his stall on this topic and we haven''t seen any improvements on last seasons performances so far.

I think a new manager could come in and give everyone a clean slate - and hopefully get the best out of the squad before we lose Rhodes, Oliveira, Pinto, Klose and whoever else is out of contract this year/we flog.

I''d argue that bringing him back into the fold now might betray even worse man management.
Benefits aside, if we suddenly decided all is forgiven and he finds his way into the matchday squad, it looks weak; furthermore, I personally believe there isn''t much worse a manager can do than make players feel like it doesn''t matter if they play well or not. Srbeny, for example, has got his head down, worked at it, and seems to have improved past last seasons limitations to play himself into contention; how will he and his allies in the squad react if Nelson is just gifted his space in the squad based on being decent 2 years ago?
It''s a decision they''ve made and are sticking by. I have no problems with that.

My understanding of the rumours, and I stress rumours, is that NO played up in training prior to last season.

We will never know exactly what "played up" means so the term unprofessional springs to mind.

Farke was new to management, new to England and new to the job. He had enough on his plate. The last thing he needed was for an ego-driven idiot like Oliveira to decide to disrupt things and single-handedly make the manager''s job more difficult.

NO was therefore understandably benched for that Fulham game. His reaction upon scoring insulted a man new to the job facing his first challenge.

No wonder DF would want him gone. Wouldn''t you in his position?

All this shite about Oliveira''s talents. Look at his record of disruption. He came from Nottingham Forest for goodness sake. Now nobody wants him now because his reputation of being a self-centred troublemaker has gone before him.

NO cost us points last season, for various reasons. Farke is making sure that he cannot repeat his nonsense and do likewise.

Sticking up for the dickhead? Nah, not for me.

There are enough hardworking, talented players with the right attitude to the game and what it involves in our squad to make defending this idiot pointless.

NO insults the dresssing room.

I never want to see NO in a norwich shirt again
I am disappointed we didnt ged rid in the summer but my guess is that its down to no one wanting him on the basis that he isnt a team player

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]He''s 27 and should be in his peak. He was our second top scorer last year. The year before, he scored 15 in 32! If he plays regular football, he would be in contention for the Portugal squad. [/quote]
He played regular football last season so it must be a surprise that he didn''t go to the WC? Could be because he had a pretty rubbish season and showed nothing remotely resembling international class....
Reality is, Nelson is a talented footballer who can dominate a game on his day. His days however are few and far between, he''s an arrogant/entitled sod and probably a real pain in the ar5e to manage.
The guy clearly has a terrible attitude. He never lasts more than 18months at a club. There''s a reason that clubs are always willing to move him on.

I just Wiki''d him.

He has actually represented Norwich more times (x2) than anywhere else he has ever been.

His goal scoring record is poor.

It must have been a poor Portugal team at the time to need to stick with him for a while.

Needless to say, it didn''t last.

"I do find the beating down of Nelson for his attitude odd considering the send off Wes ''* club'' Hoolahan got."

Eh? Wes played over 320 games for our club and, even as a midfielder, has scored more goals than the expensive "goalscorer" NO, despite costing us a fraction of Nelson''s fee.

Facts speak for themselves. Hoolahan was frustrated with the club once only and when denied a lucrative move to Villa. It did not effect his subsequent performances as a professional.

Oliveira seems to be always frustrated and his performances suffer as a result.

No comparison at all.

Club legend versus Club prat.

Given Klose didn’t try for a season after relegation, I find this hypocritical by Farke.

[quote user="Big O"]It’s a difficult one with Oliveria. I find myself thinking if we decided to change manager then the first thing the new one would do would probably be to reintegrate a centre forward who can score goals at this level.

Part of me likes the fact that Farke sets clear boundaries and expectations on his players (I’m not close to the Russell Martin rumours) and the players who are flourishing under him appear to be the ones that are hungry, Lewis, Maddison, Aaron’s, Zimmerman etc and that’s not a bad sign, we want players busting a gut for the club.

I do think the club needs a solid period of stability and that this will probably help us to progress and I’m opposed to continually swapping managers, however the difficulty for me is evidencing that we are actually progressing. I don’t blindly expect Norwich to be competing with clubs with bigger resources, that haven’t been through the cost cutting transition we have been but I need to see something that gives me a spark.

I was talking to a lifelong diehard NCFC fan yesterday, you know the sort in tears at Wembley, bleeds yellow and green and idolises the community nature of the club etc and he said to me , I’m not actually looking forward to going tomorrow -that is a deeply worrying sign.

Really hoping for NCFC that Farke now takes us on a good run and gets the spirit to course back through the veins of the club, as I feel we need a lift to give us back some belief. As for today, I’d take a 1-0off howsons arse as long as we win!,

On a slightly different note, I watched Birmingham vs the baggies last night and still maintain that Garry monk would be an excellent manager for NCFC.[/quote]

Looks like I might have my spark, great result