Sign in to follow this  

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]
 Putting Saturdays performance aside, Steipermann has been pretty poor and hasn''t demonstrated being up to it as you put it. However he''s not been shipped out, and instead been given more than his fair amount of chances.[/quote]
Or "ignoring the most recent [and relevant] evidence, because that disagrees with me".

Again, Watkins was successful at Barnsley and is proving so far successful at Bristol City. He''s also a fully fledged welsh international. I''m sure if he was that bad or is attitude wasn''t right this wouldn''t be the case.

It''s laughable that you treat Farkes judgment with such high regard, when he''s so inexperienced and unproven.

Anyway I''ll continue to watch the Ben Marshall situation with interest and hope he gets a fair chance in the not too distant future.

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]
 Putting Saturdays performance aside, Steipermann has been pretty poor and hasn''t demonstrated being up to it as you put it. However he''s not been shipped out, and instead been given more than his fair amount of chances.[/quote]
Or "ignoring the most recent [and relevant] evidence, because that disagrees with me".
[/quote]

Oh right, one swallow makes a summer does it? Steipermann hasn''t been very good for us. I''ll let him put a few more performances in like Saturday before I change my opinion.

I suppose you think Norwich will win the league now? According to your logic the most relevant evidence suggests that.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Again, Watkins was successful at Barnsley and is proving so far successful at Bristol City. He''s also a fully fledged welsh international. I''m sure if he was that bad or is attitude wasn''t right this wouldn''t be the case.

It''s laughable that you treat Farkes judgment with such high regard, when he''s so inexperienced and unproven.

Anyway I''ll continue to watch the Ben Marshall situation with interest and hope he gets a fair chance in the not too distant future.
[/quote]
Or, I''ve got a stick and I''m not afraid to use it.

No, I think recent evidence points to a steady improvement for the team as a whole - and Stiepermann on Saturday. My expectation is that our position in the table will improve steadily, subject to the occasional slip-up and injuries.

[quote user="Herman"]
[quote user="lincoln canary"]Again, Watkins was successful at Barnsley and is proving so far successful at Bristol City. He''s also a fully fledged welsh international. I''m sure if he was that bad or is attitude wasn''t right this wouldn''t be the case.

[/quote]
Or, I''ve got a stick and I''m not afraid to use it.
[/quote]

Yeah, didn''t really think of that. How very resourceful.

[quote user="hogesar"]Of course no-one wants to see him become he next ''Marley Watkins'' but that is primarily up to him. If he can''t deliver then he will readily be replaced by a younger alternative where possible. If he delivers more than our younger group of players then he''ll get a chance.

As for mentioning Watkins in terms of his performance for Bristol it''s kind of irrelevant as he was shocking here. Thankfully we have a much more talented player in Pukki, who I guess you could class as his replacement. Or maybe Buendia, who again looks a much more talented footballer.[/quote]

Watkins was great for Barnsley & doing well at Bristol City. Marshall has always looked good when I have seen him but started poorly here.... still hoping he comes good but weird that they have both struggled & not getting consistent games in their preferred position maybe one of the reasons...

Marshall looks pretty decent to me when played wide, and I’m sure we haven’t quite seen the best of him yet - he’ll almost certainly get his chance again soon though, but Marley Watkins? Fully fledged Wales international? Eh? I did have to consult Wiki to confirm my suspicions, and sure enough he’s played a whopping 2 games since being called up in 2017, don’t even think they were starts either, hardly fully fledged! Nothing against the bloke, he was ok, but we have better now. I would agree with LDC that Stiepermann had some good performances at left back last season from what I saw (in the flesh) when he was required to play there, which to be fair, is not bad given he’s an AM by trade. He’s certainly a better left back than Marshall is a right back I feel.

Player doesn''t settle moving to a bigger club shocker? Barnsley to Norwich is a big move for a player like Marley with added pressure. 
Marley got plenty of chances. More than I thought he should have towards the latter part. He had 24 appearances, 12 starts. In those he scored 0 goals and got 1 assist. He also got sent off. 
That was pretty much it. 

I’m sure Watkins did score a goal for us, Hoggy? Can’t remember who against but I seem to recall him scoring? Still, he had plenty of chances and never really fitted in.

[quote user="Alex "]Marshall looks pretty decent to me when played wide, and I’m sure we haven’t quite seen the best of him yet - he’ll almost certainly get his chance again soon though, but Marley Watkins? Fully fledged Wales international? Eh? I did have to consult Wiki to confirm my suspicions, and sure enough he’s played a whopping 2 games since being called up in 2017, don’t even think they were starts either, hardly fully fledged! Nothing against the bloke, he was ok, but we have better now. I would agree with LDC that Stiepermann had some good performances at left back last season from what I saw (in the flesh) when he was required to play there, which to be fair, is not bad given he’s an AM by trade. He’s certainly a better left back than Marshall is a right back I feel.[/quote]

Fair points in regard to Watkins international career, I was sure he had more call ups than that.

Disagree with Steipermann though. He was being asked to play out of postion at left back, and in the most it showed. I think he got more credit as people knew he was being asked to do a job.

Paddy on today’s podcast commented that Steipermann had done nothing previously and hadn’t shown anything to suggest he was capable of that performance Sat. So the chief Norwich City correspondent disagrees with you LDC. That’ll do for me.

I think Aarons has been a revelation at right back and Buendia has looked a lot better than Marshall in the more forward right position. They rightfully have the shirts for me. So Marshall has to wait again for his chance. And when it comes he has to grab it like the other two have and like Watkins never managed.

[quote user="lincoln canary aka Golden Coppel"]He’s not a right back though. So hard for him to have grasped his chance.[/quote]Marshall played at RB at Blackburn alongside Hanley (confirmed by Hanley in an interview earlier in the season). When Lambert signed him for Wolves in Jan 2017, this is how Sky News reported it: "Wolves have confirmed the signing of full-back Ben Marshall from Sky Bet Championship rivals Blackburn Rovers." He has played there sufficiently often for it to be described as his secondary position. His ability to play there may well have been a consideration for us signing him.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Disagree with Steipermann though. He was being asked to play out of postion at left back, and in the most it showed.[/quote]
You clearly didn''t see him play last season then and are unaware he has spent quite a bit of his recent professional career before joining us at left back.  At Brammall Lane last season he had the left side of the Sheff Utd attack in his pocket and performed well in that position, especially early season before he was injured.  Plainly a player with something about him, as was obvious from the moment he arrived.
He may not have had many chances to shine as an AM, but he has had less starts in his favoured position than Watkins did.  Good on him though, great to see a player come good.

What basis is there for stating that Marshall isn''t a right back? Or did you make it up Lincoln.

When he was as played right midfield he was withdrawn because he was ineffective. Buendia replaced him and then influenced the game.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Disagree with Steipermann though. He was being asked to play out of postion at left back, and in the most it showed.[/quote]
You clearly didn''t see him play last season then and are unaware he has spent quite a bit of his recent professional career before joining us at left back.  At Brammall Lane last season he had the left side of the Sheff Utd attack in his pocket and performed well in that position, especially early season before he was injured.  Plainly a player with something about him, as was obvious from the moment he arrived.
He may not have had many chances to shine as an AM, but he has had less starts in his favoured position than Watkins did.  Good on him though, great to see a player come good.
[/quote]

I guess Paddy Davitt didn’t watch him much last season either then? You know, the EDPs chief Norwich City correspondent.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]What basis is there for stating that Marshall isn''t a right back? Or did you make it up Lincoln.

When he was as played right midfield he was withdrawn because he was ineffective. Buendia replaced him and then influenced the game.[/quote]

Yeah, just made it up Nutty.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ben-marshall/profil/spieler/118567

I think it’s quite common knowledge to any football fan with half a brain.

That''s interesting because the same site lists Russ as a centre-back and I thought anyone with half a brain knew he was a right-back...

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I guess Paddy Davitt didn’t watch him much last season either then? You know, the EDPs chief Norwich City correspondent.[/quote]
I never totally believe anything written by journalists. Not that I disrespect Paddy, but I prefer the evidence of what I see with my own eyes and what I saw was a very effective left back in the matches I went to early last season and I am not in the slightest surprised he has started to show what a good player he is in his natural position.

Just how a thread about Ben Marshall turned into an argument about Marco Steipermann is beyond me.

Both seem like useful signings.

Steipermann costs little, has an excellent attitude and has done his bit when asked. Described as an attacking midfielder on Wiki it is not unreasonable to state that he did a good job when used as a full back.

I feel that we have a lot of good to come from Marshall, although his history suggests he is more effective as an attacking wide man than as an out and out full back.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Just how a thread about Ben Marshall turned into an argument about Marco Steipermann is beyond me.

Both seem like useful signings.

Steipermann costs little, has an excellent attitude and has done his bit when asked. Described as an attacking midfielder on Wiki it is not unreasonable to state that he did a good job when used as a full back.

I feel that we have a lot of good to come from Marshall, although his history suggests he is more effective as an attacking wide man than as an out and out full back.[/quote]

Spot on, Broadstairs. Also, having checked, Watkins scored in the cup against Charlton so to be fair to the bloke that makes 2 goals in total (I think, were there more?).

[quote user="lincoln canary aka Golden Coppel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]What basis is there for stating that Marshall isn''t a right back? Or did you make it up Lincoln. When he was as played right midfield he was withdrawn because he was ineffective. Buendia replaced him and then influenced the game.[/quote] Yeah, just made it up Nutty. https://www.transfermarkt.com/ben-marshall/profil/spieler/118567 I think it’s quite common knowledge to any football fan with half a brain.[/quote]Any WUM with half a brain intending to be taken seriously needs to get his facts straight. Transfermarkt actually records Marshall''s versatility, listing both right back and left midfield as positions in which he has played sufficiently often to be classified as his secondary positions. That''s how Marshall sees himself (vide Michael Bailey''s interview earlier in the season), and emphasised by Paul Lambert who, having managed Marshall for most of a season at Blackburn playing at full back alongside Hanley, made a particular point of the player''s versatility when signing him for Wolves. 
You are simply propagating a false view of Marshall in order to fabricate a criticism of Farke. 

Ben Marshall is not another anyone, he’s his own man. I’m pleased that we signed him. He’s a signing that is clearly part of Farke’s model and seems to me to be a wide player with defensive capabilities who has the added bonus of being quite versatile. He has a cross in him unlike Murphy and he can defend unlike Wildschut. Plus we need depth in the wide areas. Farke is keen enough on him to have played him slightly out of position. My guess is that if we don’t see him at Reading we’ll see him soon.