Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Kevin Beattie Dies Aged 64.

Putting everything to one side a great centre back at a time when that lot down the road had a few decent players and he was up there with the best of them.
Passed away following a suspected heart attack in the early hours of this morning.

God rest, poor bugger
didn''t have it very easy outside of the game either from what I''ve read, but still remained a decent, friendly chap
a sad loss

A great player for club and country. Carlisle born like Grant Holt and irrespective of their different positions both had a similar build and approach to the game.

" Gerry Harrison as commentator.

Is he still alive I wonder?"
yep, still knocking around ... somewhere

A great player, when that lot down the road lorded it over us back in the olden days. It was so long ago that only us oldun''s can remember it.

Very sad news👍

Yes sad news . Best player they ever had I would say. Hated his guts until he played for England - remember his header against the Sweaties? RIP Beatie

Very sad news, a great player who rightly so became an itfc legend, taken far too early at 64, a real shame

A good player for them when Ipswich had their best years. A colossus for England and one from the old skool of footballers. Much too young to go and sympathies to his family

That is so sad

A player I remember from their good team, who was such a difficult opponent

Ultimately, we are all going to end up the same way, and you can bet your bottom dollar, that, if you get a chance to reflect on your life, towards the ''end'', football rivalry will not be one of the last things you think about.

No need to mention that Waveney was there, we''re paying our respects to a great footballer who s lost his life far too early

Can just about remember him playing, more for England than Ipswich. That Admiral kit for England is iconic and players like Beattie, Keegan, Wilkins are embedded in my earliest memories of watching international football.

Only 64 too, very sad. RIP.

[quote user="Las Ketchup "]Such a shame he blemished his reputation later on in life by being convicted for fraud[/quote]
ar se !
He was co-commentating on games whilst receiving benefit. I think it was £50 a game or something. More out of ''ignorance'' than hiding millions in tax dodges like modern players.
The poor chap was also caring for a ''disabled'' wife and I would suggest that commentating was more of therapy than ever trying to scam money.
Which rather puts into context the guff that is being spewed out on TWTD by those who never even saw him play.
That this chap was left in such a parlous position says much about them, their club and football in general.
Who gave a sh it about him up till now ?

If I''m not mistaken it was only his second game for them against us when we beat them 2-1 at their place in our first season in the old 1st Division.

I think he was played at left back in those days.

And I will never forget this tremendous goal. He ran from the back to get into the box.

https://youtu.be/N31PhsJ2B_Y

Not too many defenders around like him any more.

Yes sad news was an excellent player for them in their golden years of the 70s remember watching us play them at Portman road ,mariner,mills,whymark, woods ,Morris,miller and Beattie,it''s a time when you could name and pronounce most of the team players it the old first division .

What a player, and what a team they had those days, rightfully taking the bragging rights for many a season, its why we should treasure this long unbeaten run we have over Town right now, it wont last forever, much as we want it to.
KB was absolutely one of Town''s greats, as others have said its so sad to hear of his passing at way to young an age. RIP Kevin.

Reading the obituary in The Guardian Beattie obviously didn''t have the kind of easy post-football life that so many players of far less talent enjoy nowadays. RIP.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Reading the obituary in The Guardian Beattie obviously didn''t have the kind of easy post-football life that so many players of far less talent enjoy nowadays. RIP.
[/quote]
Similar one in the Times today.
It''s easy to wonder how someone earning such a good living should end up in a mess but his horrendous injury record, coupled with his wife''s illness must have been very hard for him. At the time he retired there was very little support within the game for ex-pros which thankfully isn''t so much the case these days.