Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

An island of common sense in a sea of panic

I''m not going to post a long message the present predicament, I am as upset as yourselves....but

Read this

http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx

This man talks sense.

All i would say it would be nice to have the majority of people behind the club (and everyone in it) and not calling for someones head because it is the ONLY way we are going to get out of this situation.

Keep the faith.

Given the downers given to Lion King Mckenzie; let us all get behind him and big up for the Plymouth;

Provided always Ashtom and Mckenzie are given enough ammo they will score goals!!!!

If the midfield can sit a little further forward this will aid the cause better!

With regard to the defence; please try the Doherty/Shackell combo; we have nothing to lose

Mr Worthington; you are a good manager in terms of transfer dealings; it is the background staff whose advice on tactics and substitutions that need a complete overhaul!

Replacement; Adrian Boothroyd ex Canary Academy; a mistake if ever there was one in letting him go; would have run the Reserves and probably been a WorthWhile number 2 to Nigel by now if only we had kept him on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick is right - there is a multitude of problems that have caused the current situation but he appears to have missed the most important one - having built a team that knows what the structure and organisation is in defence & midfield.  

The team seems lost on these aspects in particular, very much as Ricks match report on Tuesday showed he actualy got somewhere near noticing the issue rather than Brown-Nosing the club as usual (although I suspect it was the abridged authorised version!:whistling

However the common thread in ALL of these factors is that the solutions are entirley in Worthys hands, until 1/1/2006 anyway. 

Injuries need to be covered by short term loans and the lack of squad size is surely NWs choice by failing to stock up during the summer,  these signings can be of a suitably physical nature (surely that didnt take us by surprise did it? - we were only here 16 months ago!), Deano cant go anywhere now, and if leons confidence is so low (and it does seem it is) then worthy does have to take him out of the firing line, now, and put him in the reserves until his touch comes back and use the other strikers in the squad, hux, hendo or McVeigh are currently fit.

The solution to the ''knee jerk reaction''  IS with the manager; cover the short term injury list with a short term loan,  get the basics right, best 11 footballers, a defence well schooled in who does what and when , defending further up the pitch, a true 4 man midfield support defending across the width of the pitch who also support the strikers and we will progress up the table.

The team continues to get my full vocal support and will continue to do so, forever, not matter what.   Worthy currently has my support but like most I am desperate to SEE some improvements.   When and whether I give for vocal support for the removal of a manager post game and out of the ground is a matter of time and performances. 

OTBC

Thank the lord for Rick Waghorn ! He is the true voice of the fans - Wiz the old fool should read it, digest it & stop his moaning & get behind Worthy like he said he would at the start of the season.

Our luck will turn & we WILL get promotion, Stick with Worthy & be patient !

The Pinkun article is a good reminder, but I would have to ask whether his facts are entirely correct. Did McKenzie lose confidence with the business over the signing of Morrison? I''m sure that this did not help, but it was relatively late, and may be the result of the loss of confidence rather than the cause.

I think that he is probably right about the youth of the spine, and the "bulldozers" they have encountered recently. They will learn.

What some of us are concerned about is the number and quality of the signings. They mostly came before the departure of Francis, even if the Manager knew/expected Francis to be going. Subsequently Francis was not replaced. The weaknesses of last year - central defence ( recognised belatedly by the Manager in the attempt at the loan signing, but spoken about for months by regular supporters), and central midfield - skill and experience needed, but now occupied by a young Spurs reserve who was signed as a wide player!

We are also concerned at the thinness of the squad, - last year''s was thin, but this year it is even thinner, and experienced professionals who have left may need to be replaced by Academy players . This is fine for the youngsters, so long as it is only for the occasional game, but if they meet one of the "bulldozers"...? The size of the squad is evident from the fact that with a few injuries the Reserve team is virtually the Academy team with a different name!

[quote]Thank the lord for Rick Waghorn ! He is the true voice of the fans - Wiz the old fool should read it, digest it & stop his moaning & get behind Worthy like he said he would at the start of the...[/quote]

welcome to the pinkun!

looks like your moaning already

Whiz is allowed to have his opinion just like you are allowed yours, and in the current situation i dont blame him for having a go.

[quote=zippersleftfoot] 

Rick is right - there is a multitude of problems that have caused the current situation but he appears to have missed the most important one - having built a team that knows what the structure and organisation is in defence & midfield.  

[/quote=zippersleftfoot]

I agree with you about the organisation, although i think its more down to our poor preseason and multitude of injuries, I think any coaching staff would of struggled.

[quote=zippersleftfoot]

However the common thread in ALL of these factors is that the solutions are entirley in Worthys hands, until 1/1/2006 anyway.  Injuries need to be covered by short term loans and the lack of squad size is surely NWs choice by failing to stock up during the summer,  these signings can be of a suitably physical nature (surely that didnt take us by surprise did it? - we were only here 16 months ago!), Deano cant go anywhere now, and if leons confidence is so low (and it does seem it is) then worthy does have to take him out of the firing line, now, and put him in the reserves until his touch comes back and use the other strikers in the squad, hux, hendo or McVeigh are currently fit.

[/quote=zippersleftfoot]

I dont agree that all that Worthington has solutions entirely in his own hands, the only thing I that I would put down to his own fault was the morrison/mckensie incident.  This must of knocked Leons confidence, you could put it down to Steve Bruce as Rick does, but in light of Worthington announcing today that he tried to sign Francis Jeffers also surprises me, it doesnt really smack of good man management.  I also dont agree that the squad size is through a lack of not stocking up on players, its in the managers interest to get as many quality players in as possible, as it gives him more options.  If we work on that basis that means either a). there was no money, which we know is not the case or b). his attempts failed, which we know has happened on atleast one occasion.  Im not sure what the solution is with mkensie, except hope he scores a few flukey ones and his confidence comes back. 

A separate point, premiership teams obviously struggle adapting to a div 1 style, if you take Bolton for instance, they still adopt this method and with alot of success.  I wander if you really can pass your way out of this division, you certainly could a few years ago ala Fulham, Portsmouth and Charlton, maybe times have changed? The division is alot tighter thats for certain.