Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Reading match thread

Totally agree with your comments on Farke and youth players, and Pukki and his natural finishing ability.

What I particularly love is that he picks the balls up and just drives at goal - first touch out of his feet and only one thing on his mind. Not sure we''ve had such a natural finisher since Grant Holt to be honest.

Leeds sit top of the table yet have taken only 9 points in the last five games compared to our 10. And they managed only 2 wins in those five games to our 3 in five.

I think Leeds will bottle it as per usual and we have proven we can beat Mboro. Given that we have so much more to improve as a team we could comfortably sit in the playoffs this season.

Need to maintain some consistency, though. We had a good streak this time last year, now got to keep it going.

I thought we played pretty well in the main and I concur it’s great to see Lewis, Aaron’s and Cantrell play but Zimmerman was outstanding.

We definitely look better when we’re being positive though, when we backed off a bit we looked much less effective.

Squad depth looks improved but could do with finding some pace off the bench or for when Hernandez out as an option. Keep going Farke, the tide is turning

[quote user="Herman"]And back in his bin Keith Scott goes. Good result. Well done City.[/quote]

What an embarrassment he is-quite literally couldn’t wait to have a pop-unfortunately for him by the time he’d posted we’d taken the lead again, making him look like a total tube 😄😄😄

5 in 9 for Pukki.

Vrancic looked tasty when he came on. Loved the range of passing, the goal and him getting the boot in. Didn''t rate him last year, although he did improve as the year went on. Big season for him; more performances like that (over 90 minutes mind) and he''ll be taking Leitner''s position.

OTBC

A pleasing result but would like to see a bit more control from midfield. Still giving it away too much.

Excellent win but what I would say is that without Hernandez there is no pace in the team, might be some with three at the back so the fullbacks can bomb forward. Nit picking really, only two points off six place now !

Another great result! A long way to go but I’ve always had belief in Farke and the team. I think we’ll get even better though. Promotion is very possible this season, don’t care what anyone says.

Again much to be positive about
Farke had set out with a different game plan to that against Boro. This time to break up any rhythm Reading tried to build up. It made the game all too often very scrappy - with endless snatched passes going astray and umpteen niggly fouls being coneded. But it worked.
So many of the players seem to have ''found their feet''. Zimmerman now looks like a confident CB. Leitner and Steiperman improve with every game, as does Buendia. Pukki has shades of Jim Bone in his direct attacking play. And Vrancic just looked class when he came on.
But for my part it was the collective display that is the pointer of how the season will progress. It seems almost as if the squad has rolled up it''s sleeves and said ''so if that''s how you want it, then ok". No being knocked off the ball or shying out of tackles. Every bit of ''gamesmanship'' was taken - be it from Aarons or Rhodes. And iit''s that kind of winning attitude that will keep us driving forward.
Tettey has been a revelation. What are they putting in his tea ! Pukki breaks down the left and who is there in the box to receive his pass ... Tettey !
As said in another thread we have the players to cover the absence of Hanley, Pinto, Onel and McLean. And we have players who seem to be improving as much individually as they are a team. So roll on Loftus Road... when hopefully we can shove it up their R''s and pick up three more points.

Loved watching that. We suddenly upped our game once 1-1. It was almost as if the players thought they had let it slip. The youngsters did us proud. Very promising debut by Todd. Big shout for Zimbo. He put in some shift. Pukki is such a natural finisher. Stiepermann was influential. Nice to see Vrancic back. He kind of oozes calm! Lovely finish. Roll on QPR who look decent again now. But we can get 3 points

Just back from my nearest match, very enjoyable watching City win away. I thought it was very brave of Farke to give a debut to a full back after pointing out that Reading played very much down the wings -which they did.  

[quote user="Alex "]Promotion is very possible this season, don’t care what anyone says.[/quote]
It''s not impossible, though we''ll have to massively sharpen up.
So far we''ve got 8 points from playing 4 of the bottom 5, and 3 points from 4 of the top 6.

A good win - as any away win is at this level. Very decent finishes for the goals; theirs was scrappy but whoever blamed Krul for it I can''t see what he could''ve done. Onwards and upwards.

At times when a club gets quite a lot of players out thru illness / injury it can be a negative, putting added strain on a team to get positive results. Not so City right now, the guys coming in to replace the unfit are stepping up and doing the business. Proves to we do have a decent sized squad to cope with such a situation. Its given Zimbo the chance to come in again and be as reliable as can be, allowed young Cantwell to get his first full 90 minutes, great to see Marco and Mario really impressing and Buendia to have more minutes under his belt. What can we say about Alex Tettey..what a professional, the guy had his worst City performance ever just 2 or 3 weeks ago, so he goes out and proves to himself, not to anyone else, how it should be done...and how indeed.
Noticed Ben''s comment about Pukki driving forward like Jim Bone of old...what a good observation, spot on.
Still much to improve on of course, but cant ignore the feeling that Farke and his lads are starting to get to grips with this division. Well Done City.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Just back from my nearest match, very enjoyable watching City win away. I thought it was very brave of Farke to give a debut to a full back after pointing out that Reading played very much down the wings -which they did.  
[/quote]
who he ?

[quote user="Alex "]Another great result! A long way to go but I’ve always had belief in Farke and the team. I think we’ll get even better though. Promotion is very possible this season, don’t care what anyone says.[/quote]
Certainly far more likely than relegation, if they were the only two choices.
So much has clicked into place since the break. We look to have a squad where whoever is picked they are up to grinding out a result. As with pin point shots that may not be so frequent, but hit the target.
Do your homework. Set out to thwart the opposition and hit them hard quickly. Look at the goals tonight. Both from relatively acute angles with little margin of error - much as on Sat.
Sure we need a few more games yet to see if we have finally found the winning formula rather than having a few lucky breaks.
And yes, it was our first win in eleven away games - but more importantly and seemingly gone unnoticed is that they are our first back to back wins since last Jan/Feb (coincidentally one of which was a 1-0 v Boro)
Promotion ? Like all City supporters, here''s hoping.
Top six ? Maybe just a few of us at the moment believing it is possible. Very possible ? Tell you Sat evening.

Farke trusts his squad and they respond. He''s making a mark here and I think we''re lucky to have him. Even if he goes at the end of the season we will still be reaping the rewards from what he has achieved.

Ben   wrote "who he ?" Which I guess is asking who made his debt Okay, I forgot he made an appearance against those down the road, but I still believe it was brave of Farke.

I wouldn''t say brave. Aaron excelled in both the binner and Boro games, and team selection is often who best fits the opposition
Bit of an empty old ground tonight.
Been there a few times and it is as god foresaken part of town, more so if you are using the train.
makes you appreciate what is being achieved at CR with the numbers who still turn up.
ps you weren''t that bloke with the yellow and green afro and a green parrot hand puppet were you ?

Lots of positives. It’s a good result, momentum is building, the two full backs are great and really help balance the side, Pukki is lethal and Stiepermann much improved again. We have technically very good players and play some lovely stuff at times.

Being hyper critical and greedy though I think we need to make more of our dominance, stay on the front foot more and try and give ourselves more of a cushion in games. I can’t reakky recall us ever having more than a one goal cushion in games under Farke for anything more than a few minutes and it makes for tense viewing at times even when it’s clear we are the superior side. I would like to see us go for the jugular a bit more and kill games off rather than dropping the tempo and trying to contain.

Also noteworthy that in the last two games we’ve ditched the zonal marking nonsense and we look a lot more solid defending set peices, even if Reading did score from one in the end.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]A good win - as any away win is at this level. Very decent finishes for the goals; theirs was scrappy but whoever blamed Krul for it I can''t see what he could''ve done. Onwards and upwards.[/quote]
Just seen the goals - it was whoever was defending at left-back there for us against Swift who was badly at fault.

If memory serves Tettey got beaten but Vrancic seemed to be rather dawdling to close down the cross - but he went up the other end and scored so we''ll let him off

Just rewatched and it is as Branston says. Tettey got skinned by Swift''s lightning pace, which is understandable and Vrancic couldn''t get to him quick enough.

[quote user="Herman"]Just rewatched and it is as Branston says. Tettey got skinned by Swift''s lightning pace, which is understandable and Vrancic couldn''t get to him quick enough.[/quote]
I wondered who it was because it didn''t look like Lewis! It raises the question of what Tettey was doing there, but given that he was, instead of standing off, he gets too close and makes it easy for Swift to get past him to the byline.Still, a good win with an injury-hit squad.

Strange match in some ways.  Reading were trying their hardest, but their players were literally falling over themselves in their desperation to do well and were hunting our defensive midfielders in packs, which made it difficult to get out of tight situations, but the quality was there overall. 
Again, hard to pick a city player who didn''t do well,  Aarons and Buendia were a very good and really caught the eye as a combination on the right and Lewis and Cantwell did well on the left too.  Zimm and Klose good, Pukki was excellent and again, the central midfield triangle of Tettey Leitner and Stiepermann stuck at it really well.   Thought Stiepermann was immense - the determined run he made just after Reading scored showed great  desire and led to the Vrancic goal. Not forgetting Krul who looked solid again and made good saves and dominated his area.
Rhodes, Vrancic and Trybull all excellent when they came on too.  Overall did a good job against a desperate low placed side who are plainly going to struggle this season.
OTBC