Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Middleton

My Rangers supporting mate just sent me this:

"You lot were crazy letting Middleton go, he''s absolutely class and only 18!"

Apparently came on last night and changed the game, against Villarreal in Europe.

Lafferty scored also so will take it with a pinch of salt... but I still find the Middleton one strange, especially with our focus on youth and having no prem money.

I wonder if there was more to this one than we were told.

No doubt Brentford fans think we were mad to let Canos go. Fact is, if a player, for whatever reason, doesn''t want to be at the club, it''s best to let go. 

Middleton is a boyhood Rangers fan and, I imagine, when they came calling it was his dream come true. So, can''t really knock him or our recruitment staff for that side of things.
Canos wasn''t that good when he was playing for us and we had better options. Simple.
Move on.

A better manager than Neil would have managed a talented youngster like Canos better- I''m certain he''d have got more game time under Farke.

I''m not surprised to see Neil is in the process of being found out again at Preston.

With Middleton, it seemed like we decided he wasn''t ready for first team football when he thought he was. The fact Gerrard has been using him off the bench at least so far suggests Glenn might have been right.

[quote user="king canary"]We were mad to let Canos go.[/quote]
Disagree. Didn''t lose money on him and he''s hardly pulled up tree''s at Brentford and doesn''t regularly get into their starting line up. When you look at the wingers / wide players we had available when he did go, it was understandable. Especially with certain players like Jacob enjoying a goalscoring season far ahead of anything Canos has - and with Canos obviously frustrated - it made sense.

Or it might suggest that Rangers are more stretched when it comes to player resources. If Middleton looks at our team this season, it may occur to him that, rather than petulance, a bit of Maddison-like patience might have served him better. But there again, maybe playing for Rangers represents the peak of his ambition. 

With Middleton, it seemed like we decided he wasn''t ready for first team football when he thought he was. The fact Gerrard has been using him off the bench at least so far suggests Glenn might have been right.

We sold him in January and he didn''t break straight in to their first team,, maybe if he was still here he''d be making our bench now? Or maybe he''d still not be making the bench as we''s still have better options in front of him?

Nice that one that we trained is having an impression at his dream club.

Canos is probably just being managed better.

He''s 18 and coming off the bench in European games- I imagine he''s pretty happy, not wondering if he could have been lining up for the u23''s for us.

Canos has hardly pulled up trees really though, has he?

Maupay and Watkins are the standout Brentford players, Canos has been average. We certainly have better options in our squad.

As for Middleton, fair play to the guy but by that logic, you''ll be wanting Kyle Lafferty back too I guess?

He will find his level at rangers who are still behind us in quality.

How did he ''flatter to deceive'' when he was given about 70 minutes of first team football here?

He''s not setting the world alight at Brentford but he''s proven himself to be a more than capable Championship player at a team that have been better than us the last year or two.

Put it this way- a better manager keeps Canos happy with some minutes then maybe we don''t waste a chunk of money and wages on Wildschutt who we still can''t shift permanently and maybe we don''t have to watch Marley Watkins look awful for a season.

The lengths people go to to justify the batshit decisions of Alex Neil amaze me at times.

So, on the back of a Rangers draw, where he came on as sub and played a pass to someone else who passed to Lafferty to score we''ve let a world beater leave?

Apples

Said it at the time, and being proved correct by his top form at Brentford.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel), the stats don''t seem to bear that out. The opinion on the Brentford forum is divided to say the least, mostly they find him a bit frustrating ...

"So, on the back of a Rangers draw, where he came on as sub and played a pass to someone else who passed to Lafferty to score we''ve let a world beater leave?"

Post like this make me lose the will to live.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Said it at the time, and being proved correct by his top form at Brentford.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel), the stats don''t seem to bear that out. The opinion on the Brentford forum is divided to say the least, mostly they find him a bit frustrating ...[/quote]

Similar to Wes then.

He didn''t fit with the new management and got offended when we went out and recruited Simon Power to play in our u23s. Graeme Murty, who was in charge at Rangers at the time, knew him from his time coaching our youth and swooped. As also mentioned he is a boyhood Ger, so the move wasn''t a massive surprise

Middleton`s version here
"GLENN Middleton went home and cried his eyes out after being informed of

his release by Norwich City after five years in their academy"
“When something like that happens it would drive anyone on,”
Webber`s version here

Pleased he has made a breakthough, but it is only Rangers......  
The knock back he had was maybe what will make him as a player. Him thinking he was ready for the first team at 17 at Norwich is one thing, making it known that he thought that is something else.  Any sensible good young player will keep his mouth shut and just get on working hard with his head down and showing a good attitude - and let his football do the talking.  No room for prima donnas under Webber or Farke. 

[quote user="Molly Windley"]
Middleton`s version here

Webber`s version here
[/quote]
Thanks for that, I''d been trying to dig out the Webber quotes but was struggling to find them.
Given that Farke promoted Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons, developed James Maddison, and recently gave Todd Cantwell his first start, it''s clear that he''ll play talented youngsters.
Believe Middleton was told that there were players ahead of him in the queue. Diallang Jaiyesimi was at loan at Grimsby last season, and is a regular starter for Yeovil (5th in League 2). Todd Cantwell spent the rest of the season at Foruna Sittard, did very well and played on the left side of the midfield aginst Reading.
Webber''s reasoning was that a guy who wasn''t getting into the U-23s wanted to be involved in the first team, which sounds like he was trying to run before he could walk. I''m not sure if the club genuinely consider Simon Power to be a better player, or if they wanted more ballast in the U23 side. Webber makes Middleton sound like he has a massive ego.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]
Middleton`s version here

Webber`s version here [/quote]Middleton doesn''t actually give a "version" at all there, in contrast to Webber who explains exactly why the club decided it would be best for both parties if Middleton was let go. There was an interview with Rangers'' captain Scott Arfield in Friday''s Daily Record, in which he unintentionally confirms the assessment which led to Middleton''s exit:

"Glenn scares people. You saw when he came on, he doesn''t think about anything else than taking on his full-back........That''s the beauty of him. I''d like to see us keep that naivety and innocence about him. We don''t want him getting sucked into that tippy-tappy football........ He''s good at what he does, he touches the ball and goes by people like he did last night."

If Rangers genuinely want to build a side based on old fashioned wing play, we''ve done GM a huge service by releasing him to them. On the other hand, coming up to age 19, there''s still plenty of time for Middleton to realise that staying in that particular comfort zone is not going to take him to the top.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Molly Windley"]
Middleton`s version here

Webber`s version here
[/quote]
Thanks for that, I''d been trying to dig out the Webber quotes but was struggling to find them.
Given that Farke promoted Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons, developed James Maddison, and recently gave Todd Cantwell his first start, it''s clear that he''ll play talented youngsters.
Believe Middleton was told that there were players ahead of him in the queue. Diallang Jaiyesimi was at loan at Grimsby last season, and is a regular starter for Yeovil (5th in League 2). Todd Cantwell spent the rest of the season at Foruna Sittard, did very well and played on the left side of the midfield aginst Reading.
Webber''s reasoning was that a guy who wasn''t getting into the U-23s wanted to be involved in the first team, which sounds like he was trying to run before he could walk. I''m not sure if the club genuinely consider Simon Power to be a better player, or if they wanted more ballast in the U23 side. Webber makes Middleton sound like he has a massive ego.
[/quote]

Farke developed Maddison?! Give it a rest, he picked a player who would have been picked by any other manager, apart from Alex Neil of course!

I give far more credit for Lewis and Aaron’s. But Maddison, sorry, he was always going to have a season like he did last year imo.

Disagree with that final statement, Westcoast. Football tactics change, so there''s no reason why ''old fashioned'' wingers won''t be an important force again. Just look at wing backs. Hardly required 4 seasons ago, then Chelsea do their thing with a back three and all of a sudden they''re a vital commodity once more.

Good luck to the lad. Glad we''ve played some (small) part in another player making their way in the game.