Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Maddison

Fuzzar wrote the following post at 23/09/2018 12:13 PM:

He wasn''t a snip at £25m Mike. It was a very fair price at the time for a player previously untested at Prem level.

And from what I''ve seen of the Murphys so far in the top flight, our recent outgoing transfer business has been excellent.
I think thats the point, you really need to look at this in the round. I thought and said at the time that we had sold him too cheap, but the truth is nobody really knew how he would perform in the PL, even though many of us were pretty convinced he would do well.

[quote user="Van wink"]

Fuzzar wrote the following post at 23/09/2018 12:13 PM:

He wasn''t a snip at £25m Mike. It was a very fair price at the time for a player previously untested at Prem level.

And from what I''ve seen of the Murphys so far in the top flight, our recent outgoing transfer business has been excellent.
I think thats the point, you really need to look at this in the round. I thought and said at the time that we had sold him too cheap, but the truth is nobody really knew how he would perform in the PL, even though many of us were pretty convinced he would do well.
[/quote]

Given his stats and performances he was always going to be a success...

[quote user="Mike "]

Given his stats and performances he was always going to be a success...[/quote]
Very likely but nothing''s a certainty as any football club will admit.
He certainly looked like a good Premier League player and as a Championship club we were never going to hang on to him. I think we got a fair price but I''ll be surprised if the wily Mr Webber hasn''t negotiated a decent sell-on clause should he outgrow Leicester.
Some may think it was on the lowside but set against that we appear to have stiffed Newcastle and Cardiff over the fees we got for the Murphy brothers.
It''s all swings and roundabouts...

I think Jimbo will spontaneously combust when it comes out that Leicester have a clause that we have to pay back some of the fee if Maddison''s sold on.....

😡😠🔥🙃

We got as good a price for him as we could I think- £25m for a player who has never kicked a ball at the top level is good, no matter how certain we may feel about his talent.

I think you''d be hard pressed to criticise the club for the fees we''ve taken in.

I''m just made up for the lad. It''s really looking like a win-win situation (so far). Couldn''t have happened to a nicer or more deserving feller & the money got us out of a hole & may even have produced a more balanced squad. Loving it.

I said it time and time again to friends... Maddison will be a future England captain. One of the most techincally gifted players I''ve ever seen grace the hallowed Carra turf.
The money we got for him was right. For a start we needed to sell. And while I agree that it would have been nice to see him for more than one full season that was never going to happen. He will continue to ascend.
However, all those saying he''s a ''nice lad'' etc. are only going by his public profile that we see through the media/social etc. He got himself in a few scrapes around the city for being an arrogant little turd, apparently. Lots of people backing this up and one of the things I heard that he did... well, let''s just say, I would have chinned him if I''d seen him do it!
He has a nasty streak and that is actually quite handy for a footballer. Just do it on the pitch, not when you''re hanging out down on POW Road!

@Bobloz

Think that is fairly common among footballers to be honest. I''ve heard from a few people that Grant Holt was an arrogant cock quite a bit of the time.

Don''t like this tittle tattle about players who can''t answer back. Maddison is young and learning how to handle himself - and part of what makes him is his self-belief, so if he comes across as a bit arrogant, especially when out on the town, then so be it.  He is full of kind words and good deeds too, so maybe best to leave out the gossip type judgements.....

Not gossip when he actually had to appear in court (via a video link) because one of his mates punched some kid and broke his jaw. Apparently in defence of Madders, but it all started because yung James decided to be a cocky little $h1t.
In all honesty, I didn''t want to believe it either but unfortunately, it''s true. I''m not saying the person who got punched wasn''t to blame! But that story also brought up a number of other comments from people who had been unfortunate enough to see him on a night out with a belly full of booze. I''m afraid that there''s no excusing it.
Another reason he got shipped off to Aberdeen under Neil''s tenure, as he had an attitude problem about the place apparently.
I''m sure he''ll mature and it is true that footballers have egos the size of their Range Rovers. But it still didn''t make good reading!

Yes this is the one that was reported but after this came to light (I defended Madders, by the way, orignally) lots of other storeies came about re Maddison doing the same sort of thing. Quite regularly. So, that leads me to believe he''s a bit of a cocky so and so.
Anyway. Sure he''s learned his lesson! Young guys on a night out... regardless of who they are... if you go down POW you could get in a fight with a paper bag (or maybe a kebab wrapper would be more appropriate). Hopefully he''ll buck his ideas up, as they say.

Bob, I do wonder how many of those incidents have come from overzealous fans or whatever trying to be his best mate when they see him on a night out. People don’t like it when they don’t get bought a drink or something from someone well known etc, and some like to make a name for themselves by trying to antagonise or similar - but of course you don’t hear this bit, you never do, you just hear it start off with ‘Maddison just walked up to me and said he earns more in a week than I earn in a year’. I highly highly doubt that very much - however, I could well imagine him retaliating with that kind of thing should he be goaded etc. So I will take the gossip with a pinch of salt until the day he randomnly walks up to me and says similar. I just can’t buy it myself.

Great player, and with that ability, only serious injury can hamper his inevitable rise to the highest echelons of football - the worlds at his feet, and I fully expect him to just get better and better. A pleasure to have seen him play in the flesh for us 👍