Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Full backs

I do not know who it was that stated: ''A team is only as good or bad as its full backs.'' Its true that two exceptionally gifted full backs can really make a positive difference to any team at all levels of the game.

Thinking back there was the golden era of Culverhouse and Bowen (early 90s) and then Edworthy and Drury (early 00s).

Could it be that we now have two full backs that potentially will be as good as the latter pair mentioned with the dream of them being as good as the former?

I have high hopes for them both and it has been v pleasing to see them working so well in tandem this season.

Thoughts everyone?

It would be interesting to know who your favourite full backs that played together were for the club?

There is nothing that gives me greater satisfaction than seeing players develop. With James Maddison (accepted we took him from Coventry) but we developed him and as sad as it was to see him go it’s only natural players will leave us and progress further. We have to be realistic about our own limitations and we cannot offer Premier League or European football. I have no doubt if Maddison continues his current form he will star for England and go on to a top 6 club with someone like Tottenham.

With Max Aaron’s and Jamal Lewis both have massive potential. I think it’s key we can keep them this year and next and build our team around them. Whilst still raw you can see their ability shine through and I can imagine both will be subject to bids from Premier League teams in the summer. Aaron’s played with complete maturity at QPR and well beyond his 18 years. They could well be our Cafu and Roberto Carlos or Thuram and Lizarazu partnership. They will definitely be our next £10m+ sales