Sign in to follow this  
No Mad

Most extreme ways of following the game

On another thread about the Internet match commentary a bit of a discussion has started about extreme ways of following the game:

One person got their parents to put the radio next to the phone for the whole game so they could hear the commentary.

Another recalls texting someone in turkey a penalty by penalty account of the play-off final... but not being able to text the final outcome!.

I told the sad, pitiable story of often sitting in dingy internet cafes in Eastern Europe following the game on three different text commentaries at the same time.

Perhaps you have a more extreme account????

I thought this might pass some time until the Plymouth game and might divert us from yet more Worthy in/out polls?:

I think I''ve told this story before (yawn) but one of my more embarrassing footy memories was of sitting in the British High Commission club in Pakistan listening to BBC World Service coverage on satellite TV of our 7-0 drubbing by Blackburn - having turfed a family of missionaries off the TV (having spent the previous 3 months in the mountains of Pakistan they were a little perturbed by the experience - but hey they wanted to watch Little House on the Prairie...).   They then made a point of asking if I enjoyed the game as I slunk out of the room....

No doubt God will take his revenge - maybe this season''s start is all my fault....?

Worth telling again as I had not heard it.

Reminds me of following Norwich''s game away at Newcastle last year in an Irish bar in Sofia, Bulgaria only to discover that a Bulgarian athlete was in some olympic final and wondering if I dared ask them to turn back to the Norwich game. Fortunately, she was in a short race like the 200m and not the marathon or something!

I know it''s not really extreme but it was so annoying at the time. While away at uni in london i had to rely on soccer saturday on freeview for the updates. Theres nothing worse for the nerves than listening to jeff say "THERES BEEN A GOAL AT CARROW ROAD!" and until they cut to the reporter a million and one things are going though your head. very hard to watch especially as this was last year when we were in the premiership. Games like newcastle and west brom when there were late goals. 

I remember when I was at uni and we had a live sky
game when we were in the first division, me and another
canaries fan got to the tv room ten minutes before
the game was due to start and some foreign students
were watching a moive.

the rule was that the majority had the choice, there
was ten of them so we had to bribe mates into coming
down to the match, and then midway through the match
they came back with more mates. so we had to get more
mates, and that was ongoing, needless to say we lost the
match and it cost us an awful lot in alcohol.

When Norwich were playing Man City and Delia came out and made her ''let''s be avin you speech'' I was sitting in the TV room at my uni college. I had been throwing up all day with some bug and was already feeling really rough. There were two of us Norwich fans wearing our shirts at the front of the room and we were surrounded by drunk guys playing a college darts match. It''s fair to say that we got loads of stick for what Delia said, loads more stick for losing the game and what made it even worse was that just before full time I had to run out to throw up yet again and when I returned we had lost 3-2!! I wished I had stayed in bed!

A couple of strange ones really. In a hotel room in Angola during the civil war with armed guards outside the door, watching the City Watford game on i think the BBC text site at the time, with a dial up connection. Then for some unknown reason turning on the tv only to find it was being screened live by South African tv. Lost 4-0.

More recent was receiving text messages about the Man city game when we went 2-0 up, on a runway in the middle of Republic of Congo, then landing in Holland to find we lost 2-3

What about furthest distance travelled for a game?

As I mentioned on another thread, I have to go to Latvia next week. Work wanted me to stay and work Saturday but I said I had to be back for a ''lunch-time commitment''. This means I fly into Norwich at 9.30a.m. and then will head more or less straight to the game. I did this a couple of times last year for 3p.m. kick offs arriving at 1p.m. from Kiev.

Incidentally, I went to see Ukraine play Denmark live when I was over there. Helveg was playing for Denmark (as a right-sided centre back) but, out of survival instinct, I ended up supporting Ukraine, who won 1-0. I was sitting just in front of President Yuschenko who seemed to be in the crowd along with everyone else (albeit with quite a few ''minders''!!!) It was seriously, seriously cold and I ended up with frozen feet. I then went to an Irish bar to watch England play Azerbaijan on TV.

Incoherent ramblings I know, but it just seems ages to the Plymouth game...

Another strange one was sitting in a hotel room on by the beach in Dubai watching the live Vitesse Arnhem game - it was a live feed from the BBC onto an Arabic channel - so the feed started and carried on before and after what would have been the live show that was transmitted on the BBC - fortunately Big Ron wasn''t on the commentary team so the actual commentators didn''t make idiots of themselves - Des was the host and all he was interested in was checking his mike and making sure that he had enough water to drink  - and listening to Hansen droning on about nothing to do with the game!

lots of instances of trying to keep up to date with games when i lived away from Norwich, the most recent being the last derby match at Portman Road

i had no choice but to communicate via mobile with either my kids or my ex.  I was on the phone to my ex just at the time of our first goal and bizarrely he dropped the phone from the upper tier onto the fans below in the excitement of the moment, so i just heard loads of cheering then nothing

I then rang my daughter who explained what had happened eventually, and stayed on the phone for the rest of the match (which cost a lot of money but was worth it!)

it was brilliant - all you could hear was the usual derby atmosphere, and i can''t remember much afterwards due to the celebrations myself and a friend decided to hold! 

Can''t go again this year so hopefully will repeat the exercise with some lucky supporter deep in scummer territory! 

I used to travel a lot with work, and regularly accessed this site using my mobile phone as a modem (in airports, hotels and cabs from Sweden to South Africa). I also got my friends and family to update me, but that isn''t always the most trust-worthy way (they think its funny to tell me we lost to Ipswich to wind me up etc).

The funniest was probably the night we got promoted, my cousin was at the reserve game and called me up afterwards. I was in Berlin at the companies user conference, and was trying to be professional in front of all my customers. On hearing the news I obviously started wild celebrations, and ended up in the hotel bar at 5 in the morning singing On The Ball City and other very rude songs, surrounded by some very bemused customers... so much for my professionalism!

I have quite often had to watch games with foreign language commentary. I have also learned to identify Norwich in Cyrilic (used in Russian) script (НОРИЧ) in order to follow scores and to find out times when we are playing!

Had a really frustrating experience trying to watch the Southampton game at the end of last season. It was live on the TV in the Philippines, but tragically I was on a remote paradise island. The one tv room at the resort was occupied by two other guests watching Die Hard with a Vengeance and I didn''t have the guts to get them to turn it over. The next day a mate of mine who''d checked the scores on the Internet told me that it was an absolute classic and that we wouldn''t tell me the score so that my enjoyment of the re-run wouldn''t be spoiled. The glint in his eye convinced me that we must have won...

Better though was convincing the barman of the Bedford pub in Balham to put the Neale Barry/Phil Mulryne Reading game on the TV despite the fact that the bar was full of West Indies cricket fans and Brian Lara was about to break the Test batting record. I''m a huge cricket fan, and I was slightly ashamed of myself that day...

Last year I was in a full coach, on holiday, in the Hartz Mountains of Germany . City were playing Man.Utd.

I had asked some of the folks at home to keep me informed on my mobile. Each time City scored I received about a dozen texts from friends and relations.

The fun part of it all was that a party of about twenty people from a food factory in Ipswich were on the coach, each time the calls sounded they all looked at me expecting to hear that City were losing. Boy were they disappointed ! 

I lived on that result for the rest of the holiday