Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Farke's Fledglings

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]
[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]rumours are we will announce 2-3 signings of this type in Jan.

The future may indeed be bright.[/quote]Next season will see the emergence of "Farke''s Fledglings". [:D]

[/quote]
This was posted in Dec 2017. What a visionary.
[/quote]
Nah, just the path that aliteration took me. [:D]

The temptation to play the young players who have come through the system together must be high. Other older players may be more experienced but they are still trying to fit in. I am sure its a happy situation for the manager to be in. The most telling part of his recent interview after the QPR game was the attitude of Jordan Rhodes being on the bench. Not something you can imagine Olive saying. Onward and upward, wind beneath our wings!

It''ll never last.

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

Apples

Delia is going to sell all the fledglings as soon as she gets the chance and then Webber and Farke will be back at square one and the club will not have progressed at all because there are no directors on the Board who will put money in year on year to help Webber and Farke build a team that can progress without financial pressures to sell.

[quote user="Big Vince"]Delia is going to sell all the fledglings as soon as she gets the chance and then Webber and Farke will be back at square one and the club will not have progressed at all because there are no directors on the Board who will put money in year on year to help Webber and Farke build a team that can progress without financial pressures to sell.[/quote]
You''ve just regurgitated on old post from the past there Vinnie........
"Chase is going to sell all the fledglings as soon as he gets the chance

and then Stringer, Walker, Deehan, O''Neil and Megson will be back at square one and the club will

not have progressed at all because there are no directors on the Board

who will put money in year on year to help Stringer, Walker, Deehan, O''Neil and Megson build a team

that can progress without financial pressures to sell.
And of course, is she left now she would leave us debt free.
How were our finances when Chase finally walked Vinnie?

The most cash worthy seems to be Aarons ...flipping hell what a great little player?

The other two are not far behind.

The two young full-backs seem cemented in to the starting lineup by dint of the shortcomings of others in various ways.

The splendidly confident and skillful Cantwell is in the running but should give preference to the experience of McClean and even Morris when both of those are fit, imo.

Buendia will need give way toi a fully fit Hernandez.

Delighted with them all though, and let''s not forget Thompson and Godfrey, both awaiting Alex Tettey''s swansong to end with a sore throat (or limb or muscle.)

It''s really looking good. Who put this squad together as it could eventually be better than the experienced one Alex Neil inherited?

Correction: Bowkett, McNasty and Lambert left us debt free.

Delia tops the table of indebtedness:

1. Delia £23 million

2. Chase £7 million

3. Sir Arthur £2 million

[quote user="Big Vince"]Correction: Bowkett, McNasty and Lambert left us debt free.
Delia tops the table of indebtedness:

1. Delia £23 million

2. Chase £7 million

3. Sir Arthur £2 million[/quote]
Delia paid hers off rather than walk away and leave it to others.
BTW, her £23m included Chase''s £7m.

Chase was forced out after scenes which included the Last Cavalry Charge of the British Army outside CR.

Delia did nothing of the sort. She nearly had to call in the administrators before Bowkett sweet-talked the banks out of it.

[quote user="Big Vince"]Delia did nothing of the sort. She nearly had to call in the administrators before Bowkett sweet-talked the banks out of it.[/quote]She enlisted Bowkett in the first place so she was ahead of the game.
Chase couldn''t find anyone to enlist and was run out of town...
Bob the Builder?  Pfft!
Demolition man more like.

[quote user="Big Vince"]Chase enlisted Watling.[/quote]
He didn''t enlist him.  It was more like a dying man begging for air. [:$]

More old tosh from Vinnie who wanted McNally out and a helicopter for Bowkett.

Also I think you''ll find that Lambert didn''t leave us debt free. It was paid off while Hughton kept us up?

Back on topic, Does anyone who regularly follows the reserve/academy sides know which - if any - other youngsters might be close to breaking through this season? Obviously Lewis and Aarons have impressed during pre-seasons the last two years, but Cantwell eased his way into the cup side/bench in the middle of last season before heading out on loan and is very much up to speed for the first team now; seemed to be a very successful pathway for him so do we have anyone else who might make the same transition during the season?

I''ve just read this article in the Guardian about Hertha Berlin, who seem to be taking a similar route to us - inasmuch as relying on young players, including  academy products, while working on a small budget. They currently stand second in the Bundesliga behind Bayern after 4 games, and in the previous seasons they have usually punched above their weight,  so it looks that they are doing something right. I am pretty sure our Farke is aware of them, and I wonder if he gets some inspiration from there.

The next one? 
Aston Oxborough is an interesting one. He earned a second contract at the end of last season. (2 years + 1 year option). Was on the bench at Reading although that could be because of home grown rule that I don''t even try understand. Our club obviously think highly of him. 

"Can''t say I think Cantwell looks scared in any way shape or form- I think if anything he is almost a bit over confident (hence the dink out of his own area which got him a huge bollocking). "

Yeah agree that was over confidence on his part KC - but to my comment about his running looking scared - Maddison had an arrogance about him that said "I''m here, give me the ball", and IMO at the moment Cantwell can look as if he''s not sure where he needs to be - once he has the ball it''s different, he knows what to do with it.

So maybe a few more games and we''ll see him develop that same arrogance of "gimme it" that Madders had, and Lewis and Aarons also have - perhaps as full backs it''s a lot easier to know where to be to receive it anyway.

It was Cantwell''s lay off that was instrumental in the Pukki goal at the weekend. Showed good intelligence and awareness and was impressed with him.

Apart from Godfrey (?), any CBs coming through? And a better goalie wood be nice.

I saw earlier someone say once McLean is fit he’ll replace Cantwell, on current form and performances not a chance in my opinion.

I can’t say I rate McLean as a regular first team player more a bench player, maybe I’m being harsh but reminds me of of a certain French lad we bought from Scotland.

[quote user="Indy"]I saw earlier someone say once McLean is fit he’ll replace Cantwell, on current form and performances not a chance in my opinion.

I can’t say I rate McLean as a regular first team player more a bench player, maybe I’m being harsh but reminds me of of a certain French lad we bought from Scotland.[/quote]

We will find out but imo McLean looked the part and he seemed more inclined to push forward... great at Aberdeen. Cantwell looked decent although he nearly cost us second half. Looked to have improved though..stronger

[quote user="Indy"]I saw earlier someone say once McLean is fit he’ll replace Cantwell, on current form and performances not a chance in my opinion.

I can’t say I rate McLean as a regular first team player more a bench player, maybe I’m being harsh but reminds me of of a certain French lad we bought from Scotland.[/quote]

We will find out but imo McLean looked the part and he seemed more inclined to push forward... great at Aberdeen. Cantwell looked decent although he nearly cost us second half. Looked to have improved though..stronger

On Sky I think they said it was Cantwell''s first start for us in the league ?  But in any case, I thought he looked excellent for someone so new to the first team.  Ditto for a lot of players who weren''t really on our radar at the start of the season.  Which is really encouraging and means we can now realistically hope that we''ll be pushing for the playoff places.

McClean is far better than that.

We were fortunate to get him.

He''ll end the season as a stalwartin what hopefully will be a top six side.

Yes KC Andreu, both about the same age both about the same cost and both about as good as each other from the couple times I’ve seen him this season.

As I said on form there’s no comparison at present and Cantwell deserves to keep his place, just my opinion.

Who said he’s no good? I just said he’s not deserving of replacing the inform Cantwell!

It’s not just today, he’s a decent squad player at this level IMO, as was Andreu.

Pretty good problem to have for DF.

Pukki on form but Rhodes scores 3(4) in one game.

McLean supposed to be the box to box midfielder gets injured and Cantwell replaces and does well. Although I would like to see him more central as I think he can pick a pass with room.

Stiepermann has shown he was played out of position last season and Trybull or Vrancic will do well to replace him.