Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Farke's Fledglings

Subject heading "borrowed" from Quest tonight - but interestingly our "aging" defence comprises:

Max Aarons - 18

Jamal Lewis - 20

our "creaking" midfield has:

Ben Godfrey - 20

Todd Cantwell - 20

Emi Buendia - 22

Louis Thompson - 24

leaving our "geriatric" forward line with:

Carlton Morris - 23

Dennis Srbeny - 24

(However, completely out of context, Teemu Pukki is top scorer and is showing at the ripe old age of 28 is still relatively sprightly!)

Interested to hear the thoughts of Keelan''s Grandad on this - he was pretty adamant Farke wouldn''t give the kids a chance a few weeks ago.
Since then, Marshall has been dropped in favour of Aarons and Farke has chosen to throw Cantwell into the fire rather than more experienced options.
I''m not having a pop KG, I''m just interested to know whether your opinion is evolving or if you maintain the same viewpoint as it could be argued that Cantwell wouldn''t be in the side if Hernandez was fit etc.

Thought Max was particularly good at QPR... Cantwell show some god touches and we all know about Lewis... Good news...let''s hope they are not sold on before their peak...

We''re on a good enough run that its got to the stage posters like Mike and Lincoln end up saying something positive, panic a little and then caveat it with some negative.

We must be doing well!

You''re right there Hogesar. Usually at times like this the negative consists of dragging up the name of a long forgotten player who has managed to score a goal or two and slagging off the club for letting him go - or in the curious case of Sergi Canos dragging up the name of a player who has started the last 3 games on the subs bench - and slagging off the club for letting him go.

Interested to hear the thoughts of Keelan''s Grandad on this - he was pretty adamant Farke wouldn''t give the kids a chance a few weeks ago.

I am delighted he is giving the three youngsters a chance. It would be stupid to say anything else.

I still believe he had no choice as two of them were not in the team and we were playing awful. Now they are in, we have a new energy.

What else is there to say?

He had a choice last season with Jamal and Cantwell and he had a choice again with Aarons this season.

How can you say he didnt have a choice?

How can you say he didnt have a choice?

Because Hernandez is injured and Pinto apart from his injuries was playing awful. And Marshall, who was chosen ahead of Aarons, was playing even worse than Pinto. And four points from five games meant changes.

Do you honestly think Cantwell would have got in ahead of an inform Hernandez? Of course not.

And as I said, I am delighted he is giving the youngsters a chance.

If you care to look at some of my posts on this subject in the past, you will see I have craved for youngsters to play.

Or is this another of the lets have a real pop at someones opinion because its different from mine?

I want the coaching team, the players and the club to succeed. I don''t care who plays to do that. But I have my own thoughts, ideas and preferences like anyone else.

Marshall could have played full back or in the wide position. That would had been a safe option instead of Cantwell. So would Stiepermann, actually.

Some managers would much rather play someone out of position than bring in untested youth. To try and take away credit in regards to this is pretty nonsensical.

Just like he didnt have to make Lewis first choice left back out of nowhere last pre season. Just like he didnt have to build the team around Maddison - could have easily been Wes.

Slight change of tack ... given how well Lewis and Aarons are playing I think they are both now first choice, what does Cantwell need to do to be considered a first choice midfield option too?

Some of his passing yesterday was really good, that defensive clearance not good, and a couple of shots from 18 yards... if he takes one more or more of those chances is he doing enough to keep his place?

Nobody who heard DF''s candid admission that he''d agonised long and hard about selecting Cantwell against Reading, and remained nervily uncertain about his decision right until Tod alleviated his fears on the night, could be under any illusion that, in the absence of Hernandez, Farke didn''t have any choice. 

[quote user="hogesar"]We''re on a good enough run that its got to the stage posters like Mike and Lincoln end up saying something positive, panic a little and then caveat it with some negative.

We must be doing well![/quote]

Christ you are a child...

I can also only assume that you now hope are sold on... Strange behaviour from a so called City fan.. there again you do get more excited at the fees raised rather than them performing for the club so I really should not be surprised.

[quote user="Surfer"]Slight change of tack ... given how well Lewis and Aarons are playing I think they are both now first choice, what does Cantwell need to do to be considered a first choice midfield option too?

Some of his passing yesterday was really good, that defensive clearance not good, and a couple of shots from 18 yards... if he takes one more or more of those chances is he doing enough to keep his place?[/quote]

On Lewis and Aaron''s definitely first choice. Cantwell did well but not sure he is first choice once all are fit... Signs of progress but still need to be more cynical around the box. Some good stuff yesterday but was not a great game... Looking forward to Tuesday to see more of the youngster get a chance

What is good to see, Farke has tried to use senior players to fit gaps by injury and played them out of position, but has appeared to changed this and given these youngsters their chance to show their worth, none of them have let him or the side down.

Good management to change from trying to fit players in to do a job, to it’s your position do a job.

I have a lot of time and can see Farke is a fantastic coach with a long term ideology which could bear fruits if backed.

Definite spells yesterday that showed his message is getting through.. definite signs of improvement but still a lot to improve on.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Playing the young lads usually brings the best out of the senior players.[/quote]

Brings more energy to the team and they are more hungry to impress...

[quote user="hogesar"]Are they? Do you have an example?[/quote]

Pointless pointing one out to you... You''d just get frustrated

Again let’s be honest, Farke is working with players who are young or for one reason or other fallen from form, or never reached potential, all these factors with a huge change in players over two seasons, means he’s done a fantastic job so far.

Of course there’s need for continuous improvement, always should be, but you need to balance what players he has and how the staff behind him appear to be getting more out of them than other managers with more expensive squads.

Time will always tell, but three wins on the bounce while blooding a number of youngsters can only be a good thing.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]rumours are we will announce 2-3 signings of this type in Jan.

The future may indeed be bright.[/quote]Next season will see the emergence of "Farke''s Fledglings". [:D]

[/quote]
This was posted in Dec 2017. What a visionary.

[quote user="hogesar"]Pointless pointing? Does that equate to nothing?[/quote]

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=tablet-android-google&ei=q-WnW7vsGoydgAakqbGICA&ins=false&q=everything+is+awesome+lego+movie&oq=everything+is+awesome+lego+movie&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..46j0l4.28069.35777..41249...0.0..0.98.944.11......0....1.........0i71j0i67.xH56uRiuOEs

[quote user="Indy"]Again let’s be honest, Farke is working with players who are young or for one reason or other fallen from form, or never reached potential, all these factors with a huge change in players over two seasons, means he’s done a fantastic job so far.

Of course there’s need for continuous improvement, always should be, but you need to balance what players he has and how the staff behind him appear to be getting more out of them than other managers with more expensive squads.

Time will always tell, but three wins on the bounce while blooding a number of youngsters can only be a good thing.[/quote]

If he continues to improve the team, let''s hope he signs a new contract in the summer... Still not the most exciting football I have ever see but there were some decent moves yesterday.

Thanks to ALOS for ascertaining the nomenclature of the subject heading.

Points raised by Curious Yellow:

"Playing the young lads usually brings the best out of the senior players."

and by Mike:

"Brings more energy to the team and they are more hungry to impress... "

are also very valid. The apparent reluctance in the past to introduce academy players must have been very disheartening to the youth squad, when all they could look forward to was being loaned out to another team in a lower division (Murphys apart). Now that they are being introduced in greater numbers should incentivise them even more.

Now, when is Sean Raggett due back.....?

Back to Cantwell - to me his body language is interesting. He appears to run around like he''s scared, whereas Lewis and Aarons are the polar opposite. But, going to go out on a limb here, IMO Todd Cantwell will be our "next James Maddison".

Maybe not this season, I think McLean will take over in the short term, and yes I know how good Maddison was, I''ve posted several times about that. But there is something about Cantwell''s on the ball running and incisive passing that is similar, he may just need some confidence to really blossom.

Can''t say I think Cantwell looks scared in any way shape or form- I think if anything he is almost a bit over confident (hence the dink out of his own area which got him a huge bollocking).