Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Big Vince

Everything good about Norwich City happened before 1996.

Watling: 0 relegations, League Cup winners, Finalists, 2 promotions; Sir Arthur: League Cup winners; Finalists; 6 consecutive seasons in top flight; Chase 9 consecutive seasons in top flight, first season in Europe.

Everything bad about Norwich City has happened after 1996 (McNasty partially excepted). Delia: nothing in the cups at all; long spells outside top flight; only 5 seasons out of 23 in it.

End of.

What he omits is that the last 20 years has seen a complete sea-change in football - the playing field was level in those heady days pre 2000, but not any more. Football is now dominated by half a dozen clubs, perhaps less. To be frank Norwich City have performed above expectations and resources. The present model is showing real signs of progress - three academy youngsters now first teamers. Last three results and performances worthy of praise, but of course that''s not a term in his vocabulary.

Delia is going to sell, sell, sell

If you mean progress in terms of being a good feeder club, then yes.

If you mean progress in terms of competing against the top 20 or 30 clubs in the land, then no. For that, there needs to be money going into the club every year. Look at Wolves, they are now increasing their academy budget six-fold.

Norwich are going to fall way behind the money clubs and will become like what Crewe used to be - a talent feeder club.

So let''s put things into context. Watling was indeed a great Club man, loved Norwich City, and we all loved him, but wealthy as he was, measured in small millions, not enough to buy success. Sir Arthur, another from the left by the way, also dedicated City man, but again not super wealthy and like Chase the main means to finance the Club was via debt at the bank. When the bank said enough, we became a selling club, well before Delia took over and rescued us from almost certain administration. We now have a system in place which might succeed, might not but as a long time City fan since 1959 I am 100% behind the Club in giving it a go. OTBC.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Has he ever said anything good about his “ beloved “ team ?[/quote]
According to the man himself our two promotions before 1996 were good but our four since weren''t!
I think that pretty much sums up where he sits on internet troll/supporter spectrum.
But I''m sure he''ll be enjoying this thread, normally after three wins on the trot he''d sink without trace.

The problem with wanting a rich owner is you end up like that kid who moans at their parents because they can''t have the things the kids with rich parents always have!!!

Yeah I know I''m probably in a small minority, but I honestly think we''re one of the few clubs doing things properly. Sure, not spunking cash on players isn''t very fashionable, nor is trying to be self sufficient but if the other other options are a plaything for a faceless rich benefactor or always robbing Peter to pay Paul due to the debt commitments then I''m happy to be the Tom and Barbara Good of the football world!!

Aren’t we the Margot and Jerry to the binners Tom and Barbara? The more successful and wealthier neighbours. Except we’re the likeable ones.

Speaking to a Fulham supporter today.

He said their fortunes have always risen the more money they have spent. Funny that, isn''t it? When the boy Al-Fayed was putting the millions in they did well. As soon as he lost interest they went downhill. Now the boy Khan is putting hundreds of millions in again they are on the rise.

I told him Norwich cannot possibly compete with that.

His response? "Nor should they" for the boy Khan is "one of the richest men in the world".

So there you have it. If you''re not in the rich lane you''re out of the race altogether.

FWIW for the four teams mentioned above, from the start of the PL to now (1992/93 to 2018/19)

Fulham PL 14 Ch 06 L1 04 L2 03

C Palace PL 10 Ch 16 L1 00 L2 00

Norwich PL 08 Ch 17 L1 01 L2 00

Ipswich PL 05 Ch 21 L1 00 L2 00

Wolves PL 05 Ch 21 L1 01 L2 00

So basically even Ipswich have been more successful than Wolves over that timeframe. Fulham got to the PL and stayed there ... and so what? Money wins matches - quell surprise! In fact the most successful team relative to investment might be Crystal Palace.

Repost: for the four teams mentioned above, from the start of the PL to now (1992/93 to 2018/19)

Fulham PL 14 Ch 06 L1 04 L2 03

C Palace PL 10 Ch 16 L1 00 L2 00

Norwich PL 08 Ch 17 L1 01 L2 00

Ipswich PL 05 Ch 21 L1 00 L2 00

Wolves PL 05 Ch 20 L1 01 L2 00

So basically even Ipswich have been more successful than Wolves over that timeframe. Fulham got to the PL and stayed there ... and so what? Money wins matches - quell surprise! In fact the most successful team relative to investment might be Crystal Palace.