Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Wigan match thread

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
Is Farke getting more confident and (awful word but...) proactive with his substitutions? Despite a squad with some players out from injury all three made with 15 minutes to go.[/quote]Some may be out with injury, but the squad nevertheless has greater strength in depth. So yes, he may well be more confident that if he makes a substitution it won''t weaken the side or disrupt the performance. There''s a weird tendency on many posters parts to attribute all changes to Farke changing, as opposed to the squad developing and improving in delivering what he has always been aiming for.

There''s a weird tendency on many posters parts to attribute all changes to Farke changing, as opposed to the squad developing and improving in delivering what he has always been aiming for.

Why weird? There have been at least six changes to the starting line up recently so maybe that is the reason. We just have better players in the right positions.

Based on what I saw last season vs what I''ve seen this season I just don''t think this was what he initially aimed for- if he did he aimed very badly. I don''t see what we''ve become as natural progression from where we were last season but a manager who has realised after a season in this league that he needs to tweak, adjust and maybe be a bit more pragmatic.

None of this is a negative- the ability to adapt is a crucial part of being a manager and I''m glad Farke is showing it.

We dilly-dallied around a bit today - Pukki for the penalty that wasn''t and Stiepermann 2nd half but just about shaded it. Passing was sloppy at times, Cantwell powder puff, but Pukki put in a shift and Tettey his disruptive best. Wigan surprisingly hoof ball at times and I was pleased to see Griggs on the bench for so long.
Play-offs a possibility now. Nothing to fear in this league.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]
We dilly-dallied around a bit today - Pukki for the penalty that wasn''t and Stiepermann 2nd half but just about shaded it. Passing was sloppy at times, Cantwell powder puff, but Pukki put in a shift and Tettey his disruptive best. Wigan surprisingly hoof ball at times and I was pleased to see Griggs on the bench for so long.
Play-offs a possibility now. Nothing to fear in this league.
[/quote]

Bit harsh on Cantwell. It wasn’t a game for him as I said to the old man but he didn’t shy away from the physicality and left a bit in on them at times. I’m not condoning the kind of tackles he put in but when thrown into the cauldron you have to look after yourself, especially when the referee has lost the game. However, early in the second half he took another heavy one and as he got up he glanced at the bench - he’d had enough and was rightly hooked moments later.

Still think it will stand him and us in good stead long term although when you look at Max and Emi they appear to be miles ahead physically.

Ultimately it was great experience for him and we’ve carried him through it while getting another W in the column.

Absolutely loving this group of players, loads of passion and a few wins leave me feeling that the club I had faith in was there all along. (Cue 6 straight defeats)

Just to add....

Tettey is an absolute stand-out at this level, I can’t believe there’s a team in the division that wouldn’t want him. Love the guy.

The physicality was tough for our youngsters at times but if we want them to progress these are the lessons that will help make that happen.

On the right we had Aarons (18) and Buendia (21) On the left Lewis (20) and Cantwell (20). They will struggle physically sometimes. It would be ridiculous to expect anything else. Farke is brave enough to play them. The two subs were right, we won the game.

My 5 cents...

I know Farke is here to add youths and he make Maddison great player but still think is too much to use Aarons,Jamal,Cantwell and Buendia every game for 75 minutes.

Especially Cantwell and Buendia today was must off for Vrancic Godfrey ,Luis against very physic superior Wigan much more early than 75 min.

Bless we have rocks like Klose and Tettey !

Krull awful with legs must add that.

Marco is wow with the ball really impressive MOM today with Tettey.

all in all many close games we somehow we win by 1 goal.

Really impressive position only 3 from top lets hope not loose on midweek to keep momentum.

[quote user="Boris"]My 5 cents...

I know Farke is here to add youths and he make Maddison great player but still think is too much to use Aarons,Jamal,Cantwell and Buendia every game for 75 minutes.

Especially Cantwell and Buendia today was must off for Vrancic Godfrey ,Luis against very physic superior Wigan much more early than 75 min.

Bless we have rocks like Klose and Tettey !

Krull awful with legs must add that.

Marco is wow with the ball really impressive MOM today with Tettey.

all in all many close games we somehow we win by 1 goal.

Really impressive position only 3 from top lets hope not loose on midweek to keep momentum.[/quote]
I suspect he would be worse without

[quote user="king canary"]Based on what I saw last season vs what I''ve seen this season I just don''t think this was what he initially aimed for- if he did he aimed very badly. I don''t see what we''ve become as natural progression from where we were last season but a manager who has realised after a season in this league that he needs to tweak, adjust and maybe be a bit more pragmatic.

None of this is a negative- the ability to adapt is a crucial part of being a manager and I''m glad Farke is showing it.[/quote]
In very general terms I think this is what he has been aiming at. When he was appointed I posted the stats for his last season with Borussia Dortmund II, when they finished second with this record:W16 D15 L 3. GD 54/25 and an average of 1.5 goals scored per game, amd 1.85 pts per game. Replicating that, or getting close to it, would at least put us in the play-offs.