Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Outstanding Marco Stiepermann

Another top performance from him today. Has been a revelation this season playing in his preferred central midfield role and as many have commented it''s almost as if we signed a new player in the summer.

I wonder though if one of our resident miserablists will pop up soon telling us they "can''t see what he consistently brings to the team''.

I completely agree was one of our best players again today in a scrappy hard fought win. He could possibly improve his ability when through on goal. But yes he is indeed outstanding.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Another top performance from him today. Has been a revelation this season playing in his preferred central midfield role and as many have commented it''s almost as if we signed a new player in the summer. [/quote]
spot on

Yep, a fact, has been a breath of fresh air in that position and has made himself one of the first names on the team sheet.

All credit to Marco, who played all thru last season so often not in his preferred position, hence got an "ordinary player" status pinned on him, yet never seemed to complain, just got on with it. The season has started with injuries etc, which opened up a space for him to play where he prefers and boy has he took his chance. He is becoming consistently good to, cant be under estimated how guys like he and Pukki, and Mario coming on from the bench, are such a big part of this new drive from midfield to up front.
Doing it to without the likes of Hernandez, McClean etc, who will maybe have to wait on their turn for first team action after they get fit.

Strikes me as a player with oodles of self-belief, which is a prerequisite of success (unless you are also self-delusional!).

His performance as pre-match choreographer really tickled me (& KICK & TURN & ...). Not quite sure they''ll replace my adolescent memories of Pan''s People though.

All that aside, he was my MoM today; he was one of the few with the energy & willpower to disrupt their defence & showed an unexpectedly delicate touch (although I''m starting to expect it now) coupled with great athleticism.

When all our players are fit, there''s gonna be an awful lot of competition for places!

As Trybull seems to have discovered.
Steiperman has certainly surprised me as last season it did look like he was a sort of ''jack of all trades'' whose job it was to fill in and that was about all. Certainly wrong on that.
Similarly Vrancic now seems to be the virtuoso who appears later on when all the scrappy stuff (as Cantwell will vouch for) has been done and applies the kill. Looks now to be the class that Farke/Webber saw in him.
But Stepierman is not alone in his progress. Zimmerman and Leitner now look the part and are well up to the rigors of the Championship.
Four academy players today, with two (Lewis and Aarons) pretty much unheard of this time last year - also with both Thompson and Cantwell looking far from a first team place.
Tettey gets better by the game (apart from his shooting), and what has happened to Krul''s supposed ''mistake'' every game ?
Another couple of games like the last four and I''ve a feeling the old blood will start to fire up and a sense of another memorable season is on it''s way.

My MOM too, very powerfull today, something we were lacking in other areas of the field. Great performance.
If only he had a right foot 😀

Indeed like that, good to see him have a go there, did look a bit woozy though, perhaps with a bit more confidence he might try it again.😀
At the moment he is trying very hard to get the ball on his left foot.

[quote user="Van wink"]

Indeed like that, good to see him have a go there, did look a bit woozy though, perhaps with a bit more confidence he might try it again.😀
At the moment he is trying very hard to get the ball on his left foot.
[/quote]
left footed players often do do that

a revelation in fact
left footed players tend to want the ball on their left foot
you never cease to amaze us all

Was played out of position last season but was part of some of our better performances

Lost out to Lewis and got injured but his comeback in the U23''s towards the end of last season in midfield was outstanding

Written off too early by some, makes Franke the odd (Ger)man out.

Ben wrote the following post at 29/09/2018 10:54 PM:

a revelation in fact
left footed players tend to want the ball on their left foot
you never cease to amaze us all
Hardly a revelation but the fact that he appeared very one footed yesterday was a genuine observation from attending the game, which arguably adds more value to the thread than you behaving like a clown.....but do carry on.👍

I was one of those who''d kind of dismissed him as a bit of a utility man- ok at a few positions but not great at any. Turns out I was wrong.

I’m pleased for Marco but I’m even more pleased I don’t have to listen to the one idiot that sits near me that would previously slate him for doing something wrong before he’d even touched the ball last season. I don’t have to hear his constant whiny drivel at the minute. Thanks Mr Stiepermann. Keep it going.

Didn''t rate him much last year - but he has come into his own as a CM.

His height and physicality goes a long way when he is surrounded by Pukki, Leitner, Cantrell and Buendia. I noticed we had a direct outlet for the first time in a while, with Krul and Klose often successfully using Steipermann as an option to get the ball up the pitch.

Not to say he isn''t good with his feet too!