Sign in to follow this  
Bill

It was a penalty - Pukki (1st half)

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Woodman, is that right? Why is it only a red outside the box? Surely the closer to the goal, the greater the chance of scoring, so the punishment should be more severe

2 penalties , all day long imo[/quote]

I agree Crabby, however I think the rule is it has to be professional ie if deemed to be a genuine attempt to get the ball then that’s yellow even if it is a goal scoring opportunity. On canary call Darren Eadie pointed out that there was nothing malicious and as a genuine attempt for the ball would have probably been a yellow. Being behind the player however it is anyone’s guess as to wether yellow or red would have been shown.

Their manager conceded that was a penalty but made no mention that they would have been down to 10.

I doubt many referees give penalties to right a wrong. How would they know they had got it wrong until the pundits started analysing it?

He made some incorrect decisions, against both sides if we take Cantwell''s losing his head moment, and obviously the penalty was one.

I think the rule was bought in to stop what seemed like excessive punishment for clumsy fouls- you still get the clear goal scoring opportunity from being given a penalty so to get that and play against 10 men seemed harsh for a slightly clumsy trip or often a goalkeeper slightly mistiming an attempt to get the ball.

keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 01/10/2018 1:57 PM:

I doubt many referees give penalties to right a wrong. How would they

know they had got it wrong until the pundits started analysing it?
mmm, you may be right KG, but it seemed as if he was pretty quick to give the pen for the second offence, maybe just my perception at the time, I was still feeling aggrieved that he hadnt given the previous one.😊

Law 12 (part of)

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

mmm, you may be right KG, but it seemed as if he was pretty quick to give the pen for the second offence, maybe just my perception at the time, I was still feeling aggrieved that he hadnt given the previous one.

My dog ran and hid because I had my headphones on watching the game on Ifollow (does that make me a recyclable plastic rather than a single use one) and I screamed, with a few profanities, that the first one was a penalty.

KIO then posted that he had watched a replay and there was no contact so I resigned myself that if that wasn''t a penalty then the ref wasn''t going to give us one at all.

But he was right in line with the second and saw Pukki being pulled back.

Thanks GP''s beard - that clears that up!

I suspect Krul would previously have been sent off in the West Brom game for bringing down their striker, but must have been deemed to have attempted to play the ball, hence the yellow card.

Looked a dead cert for me and the officials bottled it. Glad we got the win - couldn''t really deny the second penalty incident given it was that obvious.