Sign in to follow this  
Bill

It was a penalty - Pukki (1st half)

It always amazes me how people say "they tripped themselves up" or "they got their legs in a tangle" completely missing the foul which caused the observed outcome. Definite and obvious foul. Thankfully had no impact on the result.

Rob Butlers tweet at 1/2 time declaring no penalty quietened down the pressure on the ref in the second half. Crowd pressure does not win games but it helps put right injustices.

[quote user="Well b back"]Rob Butlers tweet at 1/2 time declaring no penalty quietened down the pressure on the ref in the second half. Crowd pressure does not win games but it helps put right injustices.[/quote]
Maybe that''s why we got the ''2nd'' penalty

[quote user="ricardo"]I called it from 90 yards away.😎[/quote]
What did you call it ?
Bob, George ... ?

I didnt think it was from the ifollow coverage and one replay we got. It wasnt that obvious but benefit of being able to pause it etc shows it was. Fair play to Paul Coon for calling it right too in his post match interview. Said he thought it was a pen.

Glad to see that, it was right opposite me and looked like an obvious pen at the time, the ref looked long and hard at the lino and he didnt make a move and it wasnt given.
The ref looked pretty relieved to be able to give us one in the second half, which was cearly a pen as well, let him off the hook.

I was sitting almost directly in line with it from the Barclay, and it was absolutely clear to me that it was a penalty. From that angle you could see how Pukki was about to slot it home but had his heel/studs clipped causing him to completely miss the ball.

To be fair to the ref it was tough to see from his angle behind the play, but I cannot understand how the linesman didn''t pick up on it. I distinctly remember the ref giving him a long hard look for several seconds as if he suspected it was a pen but was waiting for confirmation.

Still, luckily this time it didn''t have an impact on the result!

The ref and linesmen were generally awful and thats in a season where none have really been impressive.

Pukki had absolutely no reason to go to ground as he was through with just the goalkeeper to beat, so that in itself should have told the ref it was a foul.  He basically bottled it because he knew that if he gave the penalty he would have to send off the defender as well. 

At full speed I can understand why the ref didn''t give it- the fact we''re having to slow it down and watch replays and still don''t have a definitive answer suggests it wasn''t a huge howler.

Also the one we got was a touch soft so we''ll take it.

It was a pen, and would have been given 99% of the time but we were on the end of that odd 1%; it''s a shame it doesn''t seem to ever work out the other way for us.

The one that was given looks soft from the main camera angle because the view of the foul is obscured. (Liam Rosenior on Sky said something like the ref was ‘the only one in the ground’ who spotted a foul.) From my view sat in the south stand in line with the river end area Pukki was clearly held back, definitely a penalty.

I was actually meaning that we have pens given against us for not a lot, all-too-often (esp in the PL), but the same applies - I think looking at it that our ''second'' pen was fair.

I''ll be honest I can''t recall any penalties given against us recently that made me go ''what?'' but I might be wrong.

I think fans of every team insist they are hard done by by referees and I''m not sure it is really true.

He didn''t give it. I think refs are under so much pressure nowadays that it is probably easier not to give a doubtful one rather than give it.

The one he did give was pretty obvious and he was fairly close to it.

Whingeing must not become a Norwich trait. I think we should complain more about missed chances than conjecture.

Ignore the telly shots - everyone in the ground knew it was a pen, you can sometimes just tell by players'' reactions etc. Awful ref.

LDC - "Pukki had absolutely no reason to go to ground as he was through with just the goalkeeper to beat, so that in itself should have told the ref it was a foul. He basically bottled it because he knew that if he gave the penalty he would have to send off the defender as well."

I think if a penalty is given for ''denying a goal-scoring opportunity'', it''s a yellow card and only a red if it''s outside the box.

Dicky wrote: "you can sometimes just tell by players'' reactions "
On that subject was anyone else surprised at Klose''s initial reaction when he got ''sent off'' recently, only for the decision to be reversed.
IIRC he was already walking without a word spoken before his reprieve a few seconds later. Was thinking that''s either a good sporting attitude to ref''s authority, or Timm''s mistake if he believed/assumed the sending-off was deserved.

[quote user="Woodman"]LDC - "Pukki had absolutely no reason to go to ground as he was through with just the goalkeeper to beat, so that in itself should have told the ref it was a foul. He basically bottled it because he knew that if he gave the penalty he would have to send off the defender as well."

I think if a penalty is given for ''denying a goal-scoring opportunity'', it''s a yellow card and only a red if it''s outside the box.[/quote]
Thanks, wasn''t aware of that.

[quote user="Ben"]
[quote user="Well b back"]Rob Butlers tweet at 1/2 time declaring no penalty quietened down the pressure on the ref in the second half. Crowd pressure does not win games but it helps put right injustices.[/quote]
Maybe that''s why we got the ''2nd'' penalty
[/quote]

As a home crowd an advantage is sometimes gained by constant pressure on the referee ( Millwall is a good example ).

The referee probably gave us the penalty to put right a wrong. So if he knew he had got it wrong and we would have known he had got it wrong, we as a crowd would have been baying for blood the whole of the second half. Lots of people were aware of that tweet at 1/2 time and the atmosphere towards the ref was much more subdued. If we as a crowd knew he had got it wrong rather than being told he had got it right ( there was nothing other than ref was right in that tweet ) we could certainly have let him know when the officials came out for the second 1/2. Sporting, probably not it is an impossible job they have, but surely you gain every advantage at home you can. That tweet changed the atmosphere.

Woodman, is that right? Why is it only a red outside the box? Surely the closer to the goal, the greater the chance of scoring, so the punishment should be more severe

2 penalties , all day long imo