Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Webber - why I like Director of Football, but not sure on him

[quote user="Big Vince"]fter all, Geoffrey Watling at one time used to cut the grass during his tenure and he got 0 relegations out of it.[/quote]
I think you should cut the grass Vinnie - or at least, cut down on it. [;)]

[quote user="Mike "].........  I''d rather our Director of football spent his time on our squad than players no longer at the club... I hope he succeeds as it will mean we have a decent side.. but I do not like or trust the bloke ... hey ho..don''t lose sleep over it[/quote] Since the amount of time Stuart Webber actually spends talking about players no longer at the club is infinitesimal, I can only assume that what you really mean is you wish he wouldn''t say anything about them, ever. But as far as I can see, whenever he has said something about them, it has always been in response to direct questions bringing the subject up. If you''d rather he didn''t answer such questions, or rather he gave some bland and meaningless reply, why not say so? You don''t have to like him, or trust him, but nor do you have to cast groundless aspersions at him.

I probably wasn’t clear in my post.

I do worry that if Webber isn’t deemed a success (whatever the parameters set for that are), that the club won’t decide it was the Sporting Director role that failed and not just the individual. Norwich did once try a semi-Sporting Director thing with Ricky Martin and the doomed ‘transfer board’ when Adams was manager. When Neil turned up. He demanded this be scrapped at it happened. Norwich then had Ricky Martin signing players without Alex Neil’s buy in. This is what happened with Maddison, Canos and Godfrey - and could be why he was reluctant to use the first two.

While it does seem Norwich are commited to role, it also does appear to have been driven by Ed Balls - should he leave and someone else rock up I’d hate for it to be done away with.

As for Webber’s Howson comments, they were driven but Rob Butler spouting nonsense on the radio based on Jonny being a ‘good guy’. I think it is pretty undisputed that Jenny told the club he wanted out when it was clear promotion wasn’t going to be happening. Webber reacted to negative media and answered the questions being asked of him, the fact some didn’t like the answers is their problem.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]
Norwich did once try a semi-Sporting Director thing with Ricky Martin and the doomed ‘transfer board’ when Adams was manager. When Neil turned up. He demanded this be scrapped at it happened. Norwich then had Ricky Martin signing players without Alex Neil’s buy in. This is what happened with Maddison, Canos and Godfrey - and could be why he was reluctant to use the first two. [/quote]
Whoa Bethnal! You''re saying that Ricky Martin, obsessively derided here as The Man from Mulbarton, whose continued ability to make a living in professional football was a constant source of angry bemusement, was solely responsible for signing the player on whom Norwich City have made the greatest profit in their history?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Mike "].........  I''d rather our Director of football spent his time on our squad than players no longer at the club... I hope he succeeds as it will mean we have a decent side.. but I do not like or trust the bloke ... hey ho..don''t lose sleep over it[/quote] Since the amount of time Stuart Webber actually spends talking about players no longer at the club is infinitesimal, I can only assume that what you really mean is you wish he wouldn''t say anything about them, ever. But as far as I can see, whenever he has said something about them, it has always been in response to direct questions bringing the subject up. If you''d rather he didn''t answer such questions, or rather he gave some bland and meaningless reply, why not say so? You don''t have to like him, or trust him, but nor do you have to cast groundless aspersions at him.[/quote]

Groundless aspersions... I laughed at that one...

[quote user="capricorn1"]I don''t blame Webber for his comments about Howson. It was being rumoured long before Webber and Farke were in place that Howson wanted out. When he was sold the club were getting loads of abuse, how dare they sell fans-fav Johnny Howson!

Howson has never said it wasn''t true he didn''t want to go or that he wasn''t being difficult in training. Maybe he didn''t want to be disruptive and was being advised by his agent to be awkward to force a move through? I really don''t know, but I am satisfied that Webber wasn''t completely talking rubbish![/quote]

I''d rather our Director of football spent his time on our squad than players no longer at the club... I hope he succeeds as it will mean we have a decent side.. but I do not like or trust the bloke ... hey ho..don''t lose sleep over it

I''m not sure you have to trust him. I''m not sure anyone really does apart from those above him.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]
Norwich did once try a semi-Sporting Director thing with Ricky Martin and the doomed ‘transfer board’ when Adams was manager. When Neil turned up. He demanded this be scrapped at it happened. Norwich then had Ricky Martin signing players without Alex Neil’s buy in. This is what happened with Maddison, Canos and Godfrey - and could be why he was reluctant to use the first two. [/quote]
Whoa Bethnal! You''re saying that Ricky Martin, obsessively derided here as The Man from Mulbarton, whose continued ability to make a living in professional football was a constant source of angry bemusement, was solely responsible for signing the player on whom Norwich City have made the greatest profit in their history?
[/quote]
Great fishing there Purple so maybe you could explain why he was shown the door by Webber within 3 days of taking office with a subsequent comment that the lunatics had been running the asylum in reference to how he found Colney upon his arrival. Have you an update on how The Man From Mulbarton is doing now?

We can''t be too far away from the AGM which will give us an idea of spending and wage budgets. I''d suggest that the figures are only going to highlight how good a job Webber has done to keep us competitive against a backdrop of some tough financial constraints.

[quote user="king canary"]We can''t be too far away from the AGM which will give us an idea of spending and wage budgets. I''d suggest that the figures are only going to highlight how good a job Webber has done to keep us competitive against a backdrop of some tough financial constraints.[/quote]
[Y]

[quote user="king canary"]We can''t be too far away from the AGM which will give us an idea of spending and wage budgets. I''d suggest that the figures are only going to highlight how good a job Webber has done to keep us competitive against a backdrop of some tough financial constraints.[/quote] Indeed king; then just watch the sniping intensify. 

[quote user="king canary"]We can''t be too far away from the AGM which will give us an idea of spending and wage budgets. I''d suggest that the figures are only going to highlight how good a job Webber has done to keep us competitive against a backdrop of some tough financial constraints.[/quote]
Thought it might be interesting to have another look at the forecasts : -
I believe Maddison was sold before 30th June.

Given that we lost two players responsible for 49% of goals and assists, to be 2 points better off than this time last year is a result and hopefully it continues over the course of the season. The morale seems better as well which is good...

Whilst, in an ideal world, none of us in our right minds would have wanted to lose Maddison some of us did suggest that the fact that the team''s method of play would be unshackled from the need to play everything through the little genius might produce a better overall team product is proving to be the case.

Add to this the fact that we will likely get a decent pay-off from his inevitable England call up and a whopping 10% from any profit from Leicester selling the most expensive English footballer in history and little JM has probably single-handedly kept the sinking ship afloat more than any other manager or player in our history.

Of course the share of his fee made available to Webber needed to be used wisely. It clearly has.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Well, for a post that originally just triggered abuse, it''s generated plenty of debate, fair play GC. [/quote]

Thanks! I did feel the initial reaction was a touch far, even if people disagreed with my thoughts.

So,

was ricky martin the lunatic who ran the asylum?

Or, the man with the ability and vision to run a youth and scouting set up that has produced tens of millions in profit and brought up a team''s worth of young talent to first team level?

I come on here to be told what to think and this thread has confused me.

[quote user="Barbe bleu"]So,

Or, the man with the ability and vision to run a youth and scouting set up that has produced tens of millions in profit and brought up a team''s worth of young talent to first team level?

I come on here to be told what to think and this thread has confused me.[/quote]
The truth is often somewhere between the extremes that people put forward.   Did he do a terrible job.....probably not.  Did he do a fantastic job...probably not.  Did he do some things well and other things not quite so well.....probably.  What can be said is that as an academy did pretty well, given that money was earmarked mainly for the first team squad at the expense of other areas of the club, so maybe, in the circumstances he did pretty well overall.

I come on here to be told what to think
and this thread has confused me.[/quote]
I think you may need urgent and comprehensive help.

I come on here to be told what to think and this thread has confused me.
[/quote]
Afraid that seems to have been mainly my fault,[:$] with what I naively thought was a simple, fact-based post. But apparently it had hidden depths.

Facts? Everyone knows name calling is the highest form of refutation.

To be honest i dont actually know who is responsible for what (for instance, who identified the german legion as potential targets)so i have no opinion on the succcess of the current director of football and its far too early to have one anyway.

I do think he might lack a little class though, too much alpha male posturing perhaps. If he were confident in himself then why would he need to belittle anyone?

The facts are that Maddison was signed in the winter window of 2016. McNally left in May 2016. It''s possible that Martin made the decision, but i would suggest DM had the final say, as he seemed to on everything else. Quite how much either party (RM or DM) contributed would certainly make a good discussion if we could persuade them to come and discuss it over a pint.

Interestingly in that same window we signed Matt Jarvis, Ivo Pinto, Timm Klose, Steven Naismith and Patrick Bamford, plus "future prospects" Ben Godfrey and Ebou Adams. A good example of some good, and some less good. Some money "pee''d against the wall", and some money which provided the building block of this season.

And that , Ladies and Gentlemen, is football.

I think think it''s been said that Martin was focused on bringing in those ''for the future'' (Maddison, Thompson, Godfrey etc) while Neil handled the first team.

However just because Martin may have been heavily involved in signing Maddison it doesn''t mean he was doing a good job elsewhere.

I haven''t seen it suggested that Ricky Martin was doing a bad job anywhere. When there''s a regime change at a football club there are many casualties who make way for the new. Many of Ricky''s responsibilities were taken over by Chris Domagalla in what was a sea change in the way the club is run.