Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

The case for Paul Lambert aka the Messiah

of course not
[quote user="TIL 1010"]Lakey reckons that Farke is a combination of

Saunders, Stringer and Walker ! Dear God i will have a pint of what you

drink mate as to me it looks more like Morgan, Megson and Roeder.
[/quote]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Wagner got Huddersfield promoted in his second season so am i missing something and we have actually been promoted at the beginning of October ?
[/quote]
Yes, you are missing something, TIL.
It''s called humility [:|]

Farke is a long long way from being compared even in the same profession as the Messiah

To compare to the Messiah he would need to win promotion to the premier league and then comfortably establish us as a force in the top tier

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Wagner got Huddersfield promoted in his second season so am i missing something and we have actually been promoted at the beginning of October ?
[/quote]
[/quote]
Maybe i will show some at the end of the season when Farke has achieved something of note Jools . It could all go wrong as quickly as it has gone right in the next few games and it may just be you having to show some humility at the end of the season so for your sake i hope not.

[quote user="Bill"]
of course not

[/quote]
[/quote]
Steady on there City1st as i would hate to accuse you of following me around. Amazing to think that you and a few others so quickly forget the turgid stuff dished up last season and the first six games of this.Certainly cannot remember Saunders,Stringer and Walker doing that.

[quote user="McCanary"]Farke is a long long way from being compared even in the same profession as the Messiah

To compare to the Messiah he would need to win promotion to the premier league and then comfortably establish us as a force in the top tier[/quote]

Lambert only had 1 season in the Premiership-hardly established us as a force in the top tier. But then you know that-Top Trolling Waveney😳

Fact is Paul Lambert (and his coaching team) were great here. To chase down Leed''s 9 point advantage in L1, then be runners up to cheating QPR while thrashing Ipswich twice, then a mid table finish in the PL, means he deserves to be a club legend. Can''t take that away.

Towards the end of that PL season though he was dropping hints that every manager gets the sack eventually. And our form had been dropping off since February. I wonder what would have happened if the board had given him the green light then to buy Benteke? I don''t know that they didn''t but we did replay a 12 million loan to the bank.

Would we have got an extra year or two in the PL beyond what Chris Hughton (who''s football bored my pants off) managed to get? In hindsight would 7 million spent on Benteke in 2012 have been a much better deal than 8 million on RVW in 2013?

Ah for the joys of hindsight and wishful thinking....

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Bill"]
of course not

[/quote]
[/quote]
Steady on there City1st as i would hate to accuse you of following me around. Amazing to think that you and a few others so quickly forget the turgid stuff dished up last season and the first six games of this.Certainly cannot remember Saunders,Stringer and Walker doing that.
[/quote]
Saunders got the fitness levels up and gave the team the belief they would out run any opponent. Stringer got us playing high posession football and Walker turned that ability to hold on to the ball into more meaningful attacking play.
I would say that sums up what Farke has done in little over a year, get us fitter than anyone else in the division, turn us into a side comfortable on the ball able to keep hold of it and then put it to good use in an attacking sense.
Not achieved anything yet in terms of trophies, but the progress along the above lines is plain to see.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Bill"]
of course not

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Saunders got the fitness levels up and gave the team the belief they would out run any opponent. Stringer got us playing high posession football and Walker turned that ability to hold on to the ball into more meaningful attacking play.
I would say that sums up what Farke has done in little over a year, get us fitter than anyone else in the division, turn us into a side comfortable on the ball able to keep hold of it and then put it to good use in an attacking sense.
Not achieved anything yet in terms of trophies, but the progress along the above lines is plain to see.[/quote]Saunders was before my time, but I would also add that neither Stringer or Walker (first stint) inherited the mess left behind by Alex Neil where we''ve almost had to start from scratch.
Lambert inherited a squad which was virtually brand new, however he had the benefit of starting in League One and was able to leverage momentum once in the Championship.
Farke has had a harder job, probably more akin to what Walker did in his second stint but without quite as onerous financial constraints. Already he has us playing better football than any manager since Walker.
Nobody is saying we''re the finished article, that there haven''t been bad performances or problem areas, or that Farke has proved himself in terms of points/league position. However you can clearly see that Farke is well on his way to achieving a quality which is much higher than anything we saw under our most successful managers of recent years ie Lambert, Hughton, Worthington, Neil.

"Farke has had a harder job''

This argument has been made before remains utter nonsense.

Farke took over a squad that finished 8th the season before, had a fair few internationals and had one of the most potent attacks in the league.

Lambert took over a squad full of recently signed deadwood who had just taken the biggest beating in their history, with no pre-season and had narrowly avoided administration.

Alex Neil was a poor manager, yes. But to claim Farke had to start from scratch is laughable- Farke came into his first season with a squad containing Klose, Pinto, Tettey, Pritchard, Maddison, Oliveria, Jerome and Murphy.

[quote user="king canary"]"Farke has had a harder job''

This argument has been made before remains utter nonsense.

Farke took over a squad that finished 8th the season before, had a fair few internationals and had one of the most potent attacks in the league.

Lambert took over a squad full of recently signed deadwood who had just taken the biggest beating in their history, with no pre-season and had narrowly avoided administration.

Alex Neil was a poor manager, yes. But to claim Farke had to start from scratch is laughable- Farke came into his first season with a squad containing Klose, Pinto, Tettey, Pritchard, Maddison, Oliveria, Jerome and Murphy.[/quote]Four of the players you mention are no longer at the club, and lots of others have left, or like Naismith have effectively left. I never said Farke had to completely start from scratch, but he''s come into the club during a period of rapid change, ie unlike the situation when Walker and Stringer took over. Excluding the youngsters, it''s only Tettey that''s been here longer than three years.

Farke had to begin his reign with his hands tied behind his back . Every player worth money was sold or planned to be sold . Have to give him enormous credit to make this side competitive this season.

As a man and a coach who is now getting results I can’t fault him .

When people look back to Ron Saunders it''s like they think he rocked up in 1971 and we won promotion. He didn''t. He arrived in 1969 and the first 18 months was poor old stuff that had the whingers on Geoffrey Watling''s case bigtime. He stuck with it though and 71/72 was awesome.

From that article...

"‘Ron really did mean business,’ Cross says. ‘I arrived early in his third season at Norwich. He had spent the first two getting together a young squad and getting rid of some older players. He signed young players from the lower leagues like Peter Silvester from Reading, myself from Rochdale, plus young players in First Division clubs’ reserves — Graham Paddon from Coventry and Doug Livermore from Liverpool."

this is why I feel more people should be a patient with a young squad that has potential to improve year on year. The football wasn''t the best last season but we were at no real risk of relegation and it was always likely these same players would push on. Losing a player like Maddison is of course a loss but clubs are always more than just one player and with the right additions there''s no reason why big sales should hinder the club going forward.

Good quiz question in the background Nutty.......................Steve Grapes,Dave Stringer,Roger Hansbury, ?,?,Phil Hubbard and Paul Cheesley.

[quote user="McCanary"]Farke is a long long way from being compared even in the same profession as the Messiah

To compare to the Messiah he would need to win promotion to the premier league and then comfortably establish us as a force in the top tier[/quote]
Except that Lambert didn''t remotely ''establish us as a force in the top tier'' - he kept us up for one season and then buggered off because he (stupidly) thought that he''d move to a bigger club before the wheels fell off at Norwich.
Don''t think his ego ever recovered from missing out on the Liverpool job, and he very foolishly jumped at the Villa because there didn''t look like any more Prem jobs coming up that summer.
Great while he was here, but has done nothing since he left to suggest he can do it again, which rather supports the theory that it was actually largely Culverhouse rather than Lambert that was key factor.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Good quiz question in the background Nutty.......................Steve Grapes,Dave Stringer,Roger Hansbury, ?,?,Phil Hubbard and Paul Cheesley.[/quote]

I think the official line from the old duffers is "we''re still not sure" [:)]
There are butchers’ dogs across East Anglia viewing Ron Saunders with envy in 1972
[/quote]

Real shot in the dark but from around that era .......maybe Glen Self ?

On 04/10/2018 at 11:08, TIL 1010 said:

Wagner got Huddersfield promoted in his second season so am i missing something and we have actually been promoted at the beginning of October ?

Maybe i will show some at the end of the season when Farke has achieved something of note Jools . It could all go wrong as quickly as it has gone right in the next few games and it may just be you having to show some humility at the end of the season so for your sake i hope not.

How's that humility thing going, Tilski? 😜

On 03/10/2018 at 23:37, Bill said:

You are a lone voice in the darkness your Majesty but i for one hope that day will dawn.

oh dear

oh dearie, dear me