Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Klose to go ?

I do not see TK as the problem.He is a vital part of the team and his contribution to the cause is considerable.

I may be wrong, but I sense that the wage trimming has been more or less complete to the extent that it can handle the occasional luxury player like Klose inj the squad.

Now getting rid of Olly, that would be essential.

Also Ivo Pinto seems to have been relegated to the also rans so wouldn''t know the exact situation with him. Windshutt and Martin are still on the books I believe. Jarvis, little can be done about.

There will be some more trimming at the next window no doubt but I would hope that it doesn''t include Klose as that would seem like false economy.

As with most players it will depend on whether he can get more money elsewhere.

It looked nailed on that Tettey would leave in the summer but he didn’t get the other offers he was expecting so accepted a deal with Norwich that looked unlikely. I suspect Klose would have more offers.

The Norwich model will mean no special deals for players.

I guess it also depends where we are in Jan and at the end of the season - we/he might be more inclined to stay if we got to the PL.

I do always wonder what other considerations players make - they seem generally as an ''entity'' to be very much (almost only?) motivated by money rather than general quality of life, yet even at our level are extremely well paid by any standard measure. Yes, the career of a top footballer is ''short'', but just 5 seasons at £10k a week is still more than most would get in a lifetime of working.

Didn''t Martin leave after both parties came to an agreement? Hopefully this is Jarvis'' last year with us as he''s obviously not going anywhere

BroadstairsR. From the BBC:

31 Aug 2018 - Defender Russell Martin has had his Norwich City contract terminated by mutual consent, ending a nine year stay at the Championship club.

Are we still paying some of Naismith''s wages too?

As I see it the following are out on loan or out of favour:

Matthews

Husband

Raggett

Franke

Pinto

Naismith

Jarvis

Wildschut

Oliveira

Matthews and Franke both have clauses that will make the loans permanent. Matthews in January, Franke next summer, so they are effectively finished as Norwich players.

Norwich are still paying the majority of Naismith’s wages.

I have always said the club are still in ‘transition’ at least until next summer as a significant part of the wage budget will be going to Jarvis, Naismith and Wildschut.

Naismith, Wildschut, Jarvis, McGoven, Pinto and Klose are all out of contract this summer. I''d wager each of those players would be on north of £20k a week minimum and it will take well over £5m a year in wages off the budget.

No excuse to not be ''self funding'' by that point.

BY&G, The Tuckster disagrees about Tettey:

Alex Tettey could’ve earned a lot more money if he’d left Norwich in the summer. He could easily have matched that Premier League value contract he was on had he left but he likes the area and from what I understand, re-signed on a deal that was worth about a third of what he had been earning on his old contract.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]As with most players it will depend on whether he can get more money elsewhere.

It looked nailed on that Tettey would leave in the summer but he didn’t get the other offers he was expecting so accepted a deal with Norwich that looked unlikely. I suspect Klose would have more offers.

The Norwich model will mean no special deals for players.[/quote]

Where did you get your Tettey info ? I understood he stayed because he wanted to and turned down much higher offers ?

No way Tettey would take a third of the wages if he could match his previous somewhere else just because Norwich is a nice city.
Klose is a couple of years younger and a higher quality caliber player than Tettey, he''ll have plenty of offers.

Don''t underestimate the power of togetherness.  The club is plainly a good place to be, especially now the team are starting to play football the likes we haven''t seen for some time - the Derby game was a superb footballing match.   Players would be fools to think that moving from such a good environment was a good idea, just because they could earn a bit money more elsewhere.  From what you can tell from Klose, he loves his football and appears to be relishing the challenge this season - and giving that up for another club half way through, where he might go to and not even be a first choice would not make a lot of sense. 
He may move, but would be more likely at the end of the season when his contract is up for renewal.  Who knows, if he waits to the end of the season and we got promoted, he would be in the PL and exactly where he wants to be - and the club would be able to afford him a good contract. 
Moving mid-season, unless for good footballing reasons, is not a good idea.

I don’t know who the Tuckster is, but there is no club in Europe who wouldn’t have paid Tettey the wages he was on in the Prem.

Tettey was hoping to get a move back to Rosenberg and they had talks but he didn’t like the contract offer from them. The wages on his current contract are significantly less than they were on the previous one, but probably equally anything anyone else offered.

Tettey initially refused Norwich back in March but Norwich left the offer on the table and when nothing came up that interested him he came back to the deal.

Klose is younger and less injury prone than Tettey and I suspect that someone like Basel or Young Boys in Switzerland may take interest, as might someone in Germany. As with Tettey I would imagine Norwich will make him an offer and leave it with Klose whether he wants it or not.

I find it noticeable that Klose’s performances have suddenly improved as his contract is coming to its end. But that is so often the way with players.

I agree with LDC.

Timm''s comments regarding Maddison, Ruddy and Bennett at Pride Park coming to support the "family" club, makes one think that there is more to life than just money in his view of the world.

One only has to think of Hucks (as well as Tettey) to see the special "magic" that Norwich has for people who were unfortunate enough not to be born in the Fine City!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I don’t know who the Tuckster is, but there is no club in Europe who wouldn’t have paid Tettey the wages he was on in the Prem.

Tettey was hoping to get a move back to Rosenberg and they had talks but he didn’t like the contract offer from them. The wages on his current contract are significantly less than they were on the previous one, but probably equally anything anyone else offered.

Tettey initially refused Norwich back in March but Norwich left the offer on the table and when nothing came up that interested him he came back to the deal.

Klose is younger and less injury prone than Tettey and I suspect that someone like Basel or Young Boys in Switzerland may take interest, as might someone in Germany. As with Tettey I would imagine Norwich will make him an offer and leave it with Klose whether he wants it or not.

I find it noticeable that Klose’s performances have suddenly improved as his contract is coming to its end. But that is so often the way with players.[/quote]
I find the suggestion of your last two sentences a bit of an insult to Klose.  He was excellent in many games last season too so and in my mind you are expressing a cynical view of the situation that may affect some players, but by no means all and certainly not Klose.  If his performances have improved recently it is in line with the improvement in every player as the team overall has gained confidence.

Completely agree with Lakey, generally i thought he was consistently good last season, bar the occasional match when the whole team were abysmal. Pretty tired to, in all honesty, with the persistent "Klose to go?" topics, especially just about every transfer window since hes been here.
Still recall that day when Timm and Naismith were paraded together as new expensive signings, back in Jan. 2016, and the difference with them since has been like chalk and cheese. Less said about Naismith the better, but must admit, at that time, i kind of expected Naismith to be the one who would last longer, being a hard, tough British professional , when none of us really knew what to expect from big Timm.
He was the forerunner of the German born, played in Germany brigade, and i have never one moment of dislike about Timm. either on the pitch, or off it, him being a social media delight..He is in his 3rd season of Champs football, his first, he honestly said, was a struggle, but he knuckled down and for me has always given 100 percent.
No reason to expect other than he will see his contract out, after that, who knows, lots of future scenarios yet to come to fruition. Will City do the amazing and get promoted? Will his age (guess he will be 31ish by then) be an issue? Will Godfrey and / or Raggett finally become fixture in the 1st team? Will a Swiss or German side snap him up?..its all conjecture.
Some things are known. Timm has loved the area since day one, he loves his football as a Canary, and he has been in the first team almost constant since he arrived, unlike the Scot from Everton. And seeing him pushing home a fine goal with his head the other night to me sums up his worth. The day he does finally leave will be a sad one in my eyes, a pretty decent, well liked footballer, and a very good Canary.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Bethnal has it right.

Parma[/quote]
What about?  That Klose might be playing better because his contract is running down?  Or is he just continuing to do well from last season but is looking even better because the whole team is playing better ergo everyone looks better?  
Maybe people are judging by their own standards.......

Players performances levels can change season to season. I think its more of a case of noticing it more when the end of their contract is near "oh he''s only doing it for a new deal somewhere!" I don''t think its true at all. Klose isn''t the perfect centre back but I''ve never had reason to believe he''s not giving his best and i''ll never forget his passion when he scored that equaliser against Ipswich

Mind you there was still 18 months on his deal back then, if that happened now I''d imagine his head would explode! ;-)

Lakey,

Bethnal’s analysis and reporting of the current and past contract situation of the players in question is both well founded and well explained.

I was not originally referring to the last two sentences, which you have chosen to interpret negatively.

Another interpretation might be that Klose - or other players - might love the club, know there is little chance of a Tettey-esque set of circumstances causing a surprise volte-face and simply wish to go out on a high and leave the fans with as good a memories of them as players as possible.

That players play for the team, but also for themselves is hardly a revelation, let alone inherently negative.

Parma

Well, Parma, it''s difficult to take his last two sentences anything other than negatively.  Apparently, Klose''s performances have "suddenly" improved, but that is not how I see it.  For me he has played to his highest standards every time I''ve watched him, today included, where he was very unlucky with the goal.  For me he is the kind of player that always gives 100% every time.