Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Fatigue

Whilst it is always good to see an unchanged starting line up game after game this Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday routine is bound to take it''s toll, especially on the younger players.

There were signs of this last night with Pukki virtually out on his feet.

In this respect I feel the Lampard used his substitutes more wisely. His team had fresh legs earlier in the game and in showed towards the end.

I would start with Vrancic and Rhodes on Saturday, with Pukki moving behind the main striker, and Buendia and Cantwell dropping to the bench.

They have both done themselves proud and I feel that Cantwell in particular will be a big star in the future, but they both need nursing.

Alex Tettey seems to have had a motor re-fit since his game against Preston though, but there are usefuls lurking in the wing should he blow a gasket.

I might even consider Thompson being given a start at full back, whilst Godfrey deserves a look in.

Hernadez who should be a fixture, imo, should be ready by now and Marshall also. McClean should be in contention after the international break.

We have to hold out until this break and should come out of it more fully equipped, but in the meantime I feel that it would be wise for Farke to do some tinkering in order to avoid spoiling the deck for a ha''peth of tar (eh?)

I agree with this, I was dissapointed too. Just 5-10 mins earlier could have made a big difference in my opinion... But the word "could" here, is very relevant... A point away at Derby is still a good result

The team is full of confidence and the young players are being pushed, but they will have gained so much by being shown faith in and they will recover quickly, especially once the international break arrives. The older players will have appreciated the time too - it is good to be pushed to your limits and they will be stronger as a result later in the season.
This is all good - and they have one more game to show how far they have come as a team before some down time, or for international players a change of scene and a break from the routine.
Should Farke tinker?  The results have been good and there is no rush to bring back players who have been out injured, so no need to change there. The young players will be loving every minute and the rest all look strong, so no need to tinker much. Having said that, Thompson and Vrancic must be very close to starts and Rhodes could easily come in if Pukki needs a rest and no-one would begrudge Tettey having a break, so changes would not be a surprise. 
However, if all look fit and up for it, no need to change anything.

I wouldn''t be making any changes personally. The guys in the shirts deserve to keep their places and I didn''t see any significant drop in performance last night.

Anyway who should be "dropped"? Cantwell and Buendia were suggested but they seemed full of running to me so can''t see the need in resting them. Maybe Aarons looks a bit tired but this experience will be invaluable.

One game at home with a good crowd behind them before the international break. I''d leave well alone.

''A bridge too far HC, a bridge too far?''

I do not feel that dropped is the correct term, perhaps rested will do. Both youngsters have cemented themselves into the squad, but I feel that they need nursing.

Vrancic deserves a start. Rhodes has always been a good ''homer.'' That they both might be more effective on the day is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I would never consider resting Pukki though. That tough little vanha maestro has become a vital cog, and is due another goal in any case .... kiitos.

All fair points Broadstairs - arguments to be made either way. Dropped or rested? Either way I guess the players who get omitted will feel (rightly) disappointed. It''s not just the results that have been impressive but also the attitude and fighting spirit. It''s a delicate balancing act to maintain that without damaging motivation.

DF will have training sessions to assess tiredness and will know the players characters to help with the decision so hopefully he''ll make the right call.

Starting with the same 11 and getting 4 wins and 2 draws has done wonders for the confidence of these players. Unless there are injuries I see no reason for changing the side against Stoke. I would have liked Farke to have brought on the substitutes a little earlier against Derby as Buendia, Cantwell and Stiepermann had worked extremely hard both in attack and defence.

I have to say Saturday''s game worries me a bit as we are at home and will be expected to win but Stoke are a strong side who seem to be improving and who create chances. i think its therefore a real banana skin for us and if we can come out of it with a win in the circumstances it will be an excellent effort.

Our front 4 last night all looked absolutely exhausted and whilst i can see the benefits of keeping a settled side and continuity I would be tempted to give a couple of them a rest on Saturday to freshen things up. Cantwell looked shot to peices after an hour (although to be fair he then rallied and had a very good spell in the middle of the second half), Buendia has played a lot of late, Stiepermann had his quietest game for a while and Pukki ran himself into the ground again. I think they need a bit of managing for saturday.

I''m not sure I would change anything else and the defensive and midfield units seem to be functioning well with Tettey showing no signs of struggling with his workload at present. Hopefully he can get through one more game and then have a good rest over the international break.

I think it''d be worth giving Hernandez a run out if fit just to add the extra dimension of pace and possibly Vrancic who has consistently been making impacts off the bench.

Buendia didn''t even get a rest in the cup game so you''d think he''d be likely to switch out at some point.

I would like to see it unchanged. I agree Pukki looked a bit weary towards the end last night but he may well have a great recovery rate. Maybe Rhodes for him but we wouldn''t have the same options.

Do we have a large and good enough squad to make changes and keep the run going?

If it was Vrancic for Cantwell, then that makes us narrower and puts a bit more pressure on the full backs.

It would be risky dropping or altering any part of the Tettey, Stiepermann and Leitner trio in the middle.

Most of the lads will have a break after the Stoke match and I hope their conditioning will mean that is good enough to recharge the batteries.

And it is the same for all teams this week. Stoke may make changes but that would be based on form not fitness.

I wasn''t referring to changes in the starting line-up, but the substitutions... I feel he could have brought on subs a bit earlier... You could see that some of them were knackered entering the final 10 mins...

Someone, I think Rob Bailey, said last night on Radio Norfolk that Stiepermann had been unwell on Saturday but played nevertheless. Didn''t seem to effect him Saturday but maybe explains his more muted performance last night.

Didn''t seem to effect him Saturday but maybe explains his more muted performance last night.

I thought he did very well second half. He played some cultured one twos in the middle and tried his best to get box to box. And the odd foot in stopped a few of their attacks.

This is worth taking note of. Pochettino''sSpurs have a similar workload to Championship teams at the moment due to commitments in Europe:

"Mauricio Pochettino claimed the relentless nature of modern football is dangerous for players as he confirmed Jan Vertonghen could be out for six weeks with a serious hamstring injury.

Tottenham manager Pochettino is without five senior players because of muscle injuries for Saturday''s clash with Cardiff and, although he refused to link Vertonghen''s problem to fatigue, he issued a warning as the Premier League prepares to break for more international fixtures.

''It is dangerous,'' said the Spurs boss. ''The football business today does not care about the player. It''s all about games, games, games.''"

The main drift being that it is not just the fatigue factor that is involved when there are so many close-knit fixtures to play but also the fact that players can be more vulnerable to certain injuries.

I suppose it will be up to the sports scientists (or whatever) employed by the club to make any assessments relevant to this, but surely this is a spell when, above all, the squad as such needs to be utilised to the full. It''s not as if some of the fringe players are unworthy of inclusion in the starting line up.

If Farke does put out the same side again today then I would hope that he has one eye on these considerations and is a little bit more trigger happy with his substitutions than he was on Wednesday.

Observation rather than criticism.

I think the points made on this thread are very valid. Perhaps though it is worth remembering that Farke is obviously someone who studies numbers, stats etc as his comments in the past have indicated. He has spoken in terms of chances converted, how many goals get scored from direct corners for example to players being in good physical condition. He has even suggested a player will be fit for a particular match so he will have not only an intuitional sense but supported by the data. I think Buendia may be rested for Hernandez and we could see Rhodes have a first start for a while. Who knows maybe Trybull could make a showing

One thing for sure now is that I feel more confident in the changes made. I think we have some depth and I wasn''t too convinced pre season. The youngsters have made a massive contribution in this respect. Fair play to Farke.

Don''t they do all sorts of physical tests to measure blood oxygenation etc to actually measure fatigue now? Presumably this measures how far they are from physical peak although not necessarily mental fatigue.

Not a bad shout for obvious reasons, but should things not go with plan I would hope that Farke is not frugal in his use of the bench, particularly as Hernandez is back on the scene.

Oxygen levels? It was drinamyl levels that effected my performances when I played.