Sign in to follow this  
wooster

Next 6 games

Now we’ve got the derby behind us I thought it might be interesting to compare the next six games (leading up to the next international break in October) with the first six games.

Looking at today’s table they are surprisingly similar to those games we’ve already played. So far we have played:

Home Away

WBA (9th) Birmingham (20th)

PNE (19th) SheffUtd (3rd)

Leeds (1st) Ipswich (23rd)

And we now face:

Middlesbro (2nd) Reading (24th)

Wigan (10th) QPR (22nd)

Stoke (18th) Derby (4th)

So with 5 points from the first 6 games, what should we expect from the next 6?

As we’re currently in 17th position I guess it’s not unreasonable to expect to lose to Middlebrough & Derby, draw with Wigan, QPR & Reading and beat Stoke?

That would be another 5 points or a total of 10 from our first 12 games.

It looked better in Word, honest ....

Home Away

WBA (9th) Birmingham (20th)

PNE (19th) Sheff Utd (3rd)

Leeds (1st) Ipswich (23rd)

And we now face:

Middlesbro (2nd) Reading (24th)

Wigan (10th) QPR (22nd)

Stoke (18th) Derby (4th)

Wooster 10 points from 12 games would be shocking but i am sure some will put a positive spin on such a statistic.

If I''d been able to add 6 to 5 I might have got 11, rather than 10 as I originally stated.

I hope we do better but the matches are surprisingly similar so one needs something other than the example of the first six games to believe otherwise.

It'' hard to tell as it is not like for like.
We could well have McLean and Vrancic back and 9hopefully) Thompson will be availaible. But who nows who might not.
Similarly with the other teams.
And a hit post, ''dodgy'' penalty can make all the difference - with so few games played it is not a good measure of how we are doing.
Far better to see what progress has been made (or not).
Pukki and Onel are getting better each game. Krul passed to today with no howlers. Aarons has stepped up well, as have both Gordon and Thompson. There does seem to be a ''horse for courses'' game play with the holding tippity tap (v Preston) replaced by a vigorous up and at ''em v Leeds and a more route one today.
Come back after another 6 games and see if that improvement has continued - then judge.

Across five or six games, most teams will have played one or two of the top 8, one or two mid table sides and one or two of the bottom 8 - roughly.

Of the teams currently in the bottom 8 which we’ve already played, we’ve drawn 2 away and won 1. We haven’t picked up any points against anybody currently above us.

On that basis, I’d go with draws against Reading and QPR and a win at Stoke. Possibly a point from Wigan.

10 or 11 points from 12.

The Wigan game will be the interesting one - 4 points against the bottom 8 (or 7 if you’re down there) doesn’t keep you up. We aren’t as good as the top 8, so the likes of Wigan at home are the games we need to be taking three points from.

Four of these Six are pretty winnable. 9 or 10 points is probably par/acceptable.

If we get 5 or 6 it''s cause for concern. It must be exhausting being annoyed that there''s a ''positive spin'' being put on hypothetical results TIL.

Thanks LDC.

But it''s not negativity - simply saying on a like for like basis there''s not much there. I want to believe we can expect more but cannot identify the source of this optimism, as yet.

I posted to see if others had a better understanding.

[quote user="wooster"]Thanks LDC.

But it''s not negativity - simply saying on a like for like basis there''s not much there. I want to believe we can expect more but cannot identify the source of this optimism, as yet.

I posted to see if others had a better understanding.[/quote]
Sorry Wooster, it''s not you or the op, I''m just fed up with the negativity that surrounds some of our fans and on this forum.  Common sense says we will win some and lose some, but the black and white nature of the way some of the supporters see things is getting ridiculous.  Looking ahead after a poor spell, I''m optmistic as always and will hope for the start of a winning run. We have the players and I am confident they will perform better as the season progresses. Might be blind faith, but I see good players and I see a team that is learning - and learning in a very competitive league which is not an easy thing to do. 
Nervy and tight against Preston, but still won, gave us the impetus to be enterprising against Leeds but undone by mistakes and on to Ipswich where changes were made to address those mistakes and a hard point won as a result.  It is - as always a learning process for the players individually and as a team - and I genuinely believe we can win our next game and if we win that, the next one and the next one and the next....... 

Lakey, many of these are the same people who said they feared we''d lose today. To be fair they seem to be scared of everything.
I don''t think we can yet divide the table into top teams and bottom teams. Last season going into the international break we''d beaten QPR who were 10th, drew with Fulham who were 14th and lost to Sunderland, Villa and Millwall who were 17th, 18th and 19th.
The binners were 2nd with 12 points and we were 22nd with just 4.
I think we can get at least 8 points from those games. I''ll pledge £5 to PUPs for every point less than 10.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Lakey, many of these are the same people who said they feared we''d lose today. To be fair they seem to be scared of everything.
I don''t think we can yet divide the table into top teams and bottom teams. Last season going into the international break we''d beaten QPR who were 10th, drew with Fulham who were 14th and lost to Sunderland, Villa and Millwall who were 17th, 18th and 19th.
The binners were 2nd with 12 points and we were 22nd with just 4.
I think we can get at least 8 points from those games. I''ll pledge £5 to PUPs for every point less than 10.
[/quote]
18 points is the aim and I''ll make a similar pledge - every point we get less than 18, I''ll pledge £3 or for every point we get I''ll pledge £3 - whichever is more.

NN/LDC,

I''m with 6088m canary though I see it as realism rather than negativity. I like the idea of turning this into a PuPs bet though so I will donate the following:

18 points £100

15-17 £75

12-14 £50

9-11 £25

6+ £10

(hope the formatting works out)

[quote user="wooster"]NN/LDC,

I''m with 6088m canary though I see it as realism rather than negativity. I like the idea of turning this into a PuPs bet though so I will donate the following:

18 points £100

15-17 £75

12-14 £50

9-11 £25

6+ £10

(hope the formatting works out)[/quote]

£10 in already Wooster

Yep, I''m starting to sweat ....

Seriously, very happy with the last two results and if it continues I will be the latest convert to the church of LDC and unbound optimism.

I think LDC owes £18 on these results so PuPs are £28 to the good so far.

Derby flatter to deceive in my book and no reason why we can’t beat any of the four remaining teams. Not saying we will beat them all but another 7 points not beyond us from the 4 remaining. Today will be tough and I think Stoke are picking up as well.

[quote user="wooster"]Bl**dy hell LDC - what have you started?

Great news and at least £52 to the PuPs[/quote]
[:D] It''s going to cost me a bit, but must admit I''m quite enjoying it.  Half way there.......

At this rate you two guys will be filing for bankruptcy after the Stoke game.... [:D]
Just to add to the merriment I''ll make a three game pledge for the Wigan, Derby and Stoke matches :
6 points = £10 donation to the PUPS Fund
7 points = £25 donation to the PUPS Fund       
9 points = £50 donation to the PUPS Fund
Here''s hoping for a payout....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]
At this rate you two guys will be filing for bankruptcy after the Stoke game.... [:D]
Just to add to the merriment I''ll make a three game pledge for the Wigan, Derby and Stoke matches :
6 points = £10 donation to the PUPS Fund
7 points = £25 donation to the PUPS Fund       
9 points = £50 donation to the PUPS Fund
Here''s hoping for a payout....
[/quote]
Forget that last post. I''m feeling generous....
4 points = £10 donation
5 points = £20 donation
6 points = £30 donation
7 points = £50 donation
9 points = £100 donation
Time to start sweating......[:D]

Shame.  Still, four and a half out of six isn''t bad. 
13 points so I make that me to send £39 to send for the PUPs. 
Smithy gets away with it and Wooster I think that''s £50. 
Good day for the Pups funds today then, but that''s about all!