Sign in to follow this  
Rhiadd

Goals

They tried that earlier on in the season. I’m struggling to see what Rhodes brings to the table.

Rhodes is what he is- a finisher. He holds the ball up ok but he isn''t going to create things for himself or anyone else.

We need to sort out the supply line more than the striker. I''d be tempted to bring in Vrancic and Hernandez for any two of Leitner, Cantwell or Buendia.

Would be insanity to drop Leitner who has been very, very good over the last few games.

Buendia is a very hard worker but not sure he''s looked remotely like creating anything significant in the final third. Cantwell has at least got himself into dangerous, goal scoring positions.

Assuming the unlikely situation that all senior squad players were fit & available, I believe Leitner would still be one of the first names on the list. He is fundamental to Farke''s playing philosophy and it seems like he has found his way in the ''hustle & bustle'' of Championship football. I think he needs a ''Tettey'' alongside him though to enable some freedom & flexibility in his measured approach.

For argument''s sake, I think this might be Farke''s preferred first 11 currently:

Krul

Aarons

Hanley

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Leitner

Hernandez

Stiepermann

McLean

Pukki

Do we have a backup 11?

McGovern

Marshall / Passlack / Pinto

Zimmermann

Godfrey

Pinto / Aarons?

Trybull

Vrancic

Thompson

Buendia

Cantwell

Rhodes

Only an injury or two away from problems in the full back areas. No room for poor Dennis Srbeny on this list! A positive for me is that I''d be happy to see any of the second 11 lining out. Decent recruitment on a shoestring. For RB, Passlack hasn''t really done enough, Pinto seems to be on the wane, Marshall was too loose and at LB, if Jamal gets crocked, we''ll have an issue.

But generally feeling quite positive at the moment.

If Zimmermann and Klose maintain their hold at the back, I can''t see Hanley getting back any time soon.  The shirt is Zimmermann''s imo, he has been that good. Hanley will have to wait for a return.

I''m intrigued to see more of McLean when fit as I thought he looked a bit different to what we have. Equally I think Vrancic will be pushing for more playing time.

I''d expect Cantwell and Buendia will become more rotational over the course of the season.

No idea what you''re on about Lincoln, I''ve always said i''ve rated Leitner as a very good player.

I agree lakey re Zimmermann. I’ve always felt a little bemused as to why he’s always the guy to make way. I think, especially when you look at where he’s come from and the comparative progress he’s made, a case could be argued that he should be the first centre back on the team sheet. I rate ha let and Klose highly too but I don’t think it’s as clear cut as some people think. Good guy and good player is big Zimm and a club legend in the making. He’ll play the rest of his career here I predict!

And Leitner too. He really is beginning to look like what we hoped. Seems to have come to terms with the championship in recent weeks.

For me Leitner plays too many short "nothing" balls to colleagues who are no better placed. Needs to be far more creative and find players in space.Also needs to get forward in to the box a lot more.

[quote user="vos"]For me Leitner plays too many short "nothing" balls to colleagues who are no better placed. Needs to be far more creative and find players in space.Also needs to get forward in to the box a lot more.[/quote]

Only 25 remember. Imgaine the player he could be in another year or two.

And those short nothing balls are actually pretty important. They keep the tempo high and the opposition chasing. This in turn creates space for a killer ball.

I think the main problem is one or two teammates (Tettey) are not technically as good, and struggle to deal with the short ball in and out under pressure. Is what it is really, I wouldn’t want Leitner to change his game. He’s very good to watch, well for the purists anyway!

[quote user="vos"]For me Leitner plays too many short "nothing" balls to colleagues who are no better placed. Needs to be far more creative and find players in space.Also needs to get forward in to the box a lot more.[/quote]

I agree with this. Whilst you expect it from Tettey, it can be painful seeing leitner pass backwards and sideways rather than exploiting space on the counter. For me Leitner seems like an ideal man to have once we are in a winning position, but I''d sooner have Vrancic if we are looking for a goal. Certainly this was my opinion during the Stoke game.

I love the way Leitner keeps us ''ticking over'', always wanting the ball, looking for opportunities to stretch the play, but when nothing is on, he will give it to Klose/Zimmermann and then get into space to start again.

Having said that, I do agree that v Stoke, he wasn''t able to find that pass further forward and increasingly it became slightly frustrating to see the ball being passed sideways or backwards. That''s not his fault of course, Stoke defended very well and we didn''t find the right tactics to break them down.

Vrancic, Hernandez, Marshall and MacLean might offer something different, but I believe Farke would replace Cantwell or Buendia for one of those four before he dropped Leitner.

I feel that with Pukki, Rhodes and Hernadez as the stalwarts in the goal getting department, and with the German (league) trio all constantly looking to get on the card then we have as strong a strike force as we have had for any of our recent and beyond Championship teams.

If the team is unable to become more prolific sooner rather than later then it would seem that the tactical mind-set might need addressing either at managerial or playing level, or both.

Most teams do seem to ''park the bus'' when they hit the hallowed turf aka Delia''s prize lawn, even teams recently in the Premier League, and this will always be a problem.

I wouldn''t advocate hoofball, but a more direct approach, such as was missing against Stoke for the most part, wouldn''t go amiss on occasions. Although this doesn''t seem to be in Farke''s DNA he did sign Dennis the Menace after all.