Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

Away kit madness

Just a personal annoyance.

I get that teams might want to promote 2nd kit sales by wearing it occasionally, but why are they using away kids so frequently?

Today we had Chelsea playing in very light blue and orange v Southampton; last I checked their traditional blue / blue / white does not clash at all with Soton''s red/white stripes / black / red

Now we have Man City at Liverpool playing in an all navy blue strip, not sky blue / white / navy blue.

We recently had Middlesbro rock up to Carrow Rd in a black / black / white strip and West Brom wore a black and sky blue number.

I know we almost never clash, so it we didn''t change deliberately we''s never see the 2nd or 3rd kit, but for most teams there are other games they do need to change for, so why keep using them in games you don''t and break with traditional colors?

For some reason I can recall in my mind that we were contractually obliged to wear the green Lotus kit a number of times a season 15 years ago (was it really that long ago?!) but we did have two different brands on the shirts back then so it made sense.

Now it makes little sense at all. I remember the days when we would go season after season playing every game in the yellow and green. The fact that even we now have a 3rd kit just goes to show that it has to be down to money.

Part of the deal with kit manufacturers that 2nd and 3rd kits will be worn a set number of times to drive up sales.

Remember that about 90% of the money from kit sales goes to the manufacturer so they press upon clubs to promote all three.

Wow, that seems ridiculous Bethnal. (Not your telling of the story, but the fact that the margin of the manufacturer is so high)

Me thinks that manufacturers are taking the piddle somewhat, quite possibly due to the well documented assumption, that there is money in football. What about the Accrington Stanley''s of the World? How much do they have to commit to their shirt manufacturers? What sort of margins are they working to?

Crabbycanary3 wrote the following post at 09/10/2018 6:16 AM:

Wow, that seems ridiculous Bethnal. (Not your telling of the story,

but the fact that the margin of the manufacturer is so high)

Me thinks that manufacturers are taking the piddle somewhat,
Astonished by that.....is there no price competitiion between the manufacturers?

Something doesn''t add up.

A Club like ours, will hold some aces up our sleeve (Where we are in the League structure/ Fanbase/TV exposure etc) yet we seem to end up with a deal that we ''only'' get 10% out of it?

Part of the deal with kit manufacturers that 2nd and 3rd kits will be worn a set number of times to drive up sales.

I wonder how many actually buy more than one replica shirt per season?

Aren''t they just giving people a choice in fact?

But I do agree that the yellow and green should be worn as many times as possible.

This was from 2016

Retailer £18.13 (37%)

Sportswear firm £12.76 (26%)

VAT £8.24 (17%)

Manufacturing and shipping £4.79 (10%)

Club licensing fee £2.97 (6%)

Marketing £1.39 (3%)

Distribution £1.17 (2%)

Total retail price £49.45

Surely the retailer, marketer and distributor would be us in this case, not JD or Sports Direct who don''t even sell our shirt.

So wouldn''t we be receiving 46% of the retail price?