Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

When everybody is fit.....

Difficult to say really - I haven''t seen enough of McLean/ Marshall yet to judge. Good problem to have though.

I would want to see the exact same starting lineup as we have had in the last five games (and that means Cantwell keeping his place despite the return of Hernandez). The three returnees are far from interchangeable with the players who would likely be omitted -- Cantwell, Buendia, Stiepermann. As I see it, the great balance and intricate midfield play of recent games owes almost everything to the inclusion of those three, as does Tettey''s greater freedom to the quality and speed of Aarons and Lewis and Leitner''s skill and energy in our own half. Hernandez, McClean and Marshall on the bench for me.

Difficult to say. I''m tempted to say McLean for Cantwell and Hernandez for Buendia, but they are going to have to prove their first dibs on the shirt.

How can you tell as that will be who is thought best to deal with the opposition on the day.
Whoever is thought to be our ''best'' eleven might not necessarily be those suited for the game.

Inclined to agree wcc, but I think Onel offers too much to be left on the bench.

I''d replace Buendia, who has potential, but I don''t think he''s quite there yet.

I wouldn''t replace Stiepermann. He has been excellent in his role and getting closer to scoring goals from that position too. Once he bags one, I feel like that will be a weight lifted for him personally and he''ll go on a bit of a roll.
I would definitely take Cantwell out for Hernandez. Todd has been brilliant but he is also one to give the ball away a fair bit. Yes, he then rushes around to try and get it back but I just think he''s not quite there consistently despite his performance on Sat. With Aarons and Onel marauding down the right I feel opposing defenders would have more of a headache.
As for McLean... Just don''t see where he fits in at the moment. But it''s true that he''ll be needed, as will all players, for certain games.

A fully fit Jarvis would be on the bench and used as a substitute altough I would not bring him on in injuy time.

[quote user="Bill"]
How can you tell as that will be who is thought best to deal with the opposition on the day. Whoever is thought to be our ''best'' eleven might not necessarily be those suited for the game.
[/quote]The implication being that the overriding priority of team selection is/should be getting maximum possible points on the day? As a matter of interest, how many agree? Or perhaps better, is there anyone who disagrees?

Hanleys form wasn''t great at the start of the season and Zimmermann and Klose have both been superb and for me barely put a foot wrong (freak own goal aside) so I wouldn''t throw him straight back in. For me at the moment the only change I would make is Buendia for Rhodes and stick Rhodes upfront with Pukki out wide, Cantwell and Stiepermann have played really well, I wasn''t impressed with Hernandez''s couple of performances before he got injured and I feel Buendia is struggling a bit with the English game so far.

Cannot fiddle with the defence at the moment. Hanley will have to count himself unlucky and wait his opportunity.

Although we have had a few illnesses and injuries recently the cruel Championship season has yet to bite properly and we will be thankful for this surfeit of choice in midfield before long.

Tettey is having a remarkable run of fitness, form and endurance but that won''t last forever so cover for his inevitable absence is vital and I suppose that Trybul is the number one replacement, but Godfrey has excelled in that role as well, whilst I believe Thompson could stake a major claim too. Both these latter two offer versatility and will be useful to have about should the two young full backs wane.

I cannot speak for Passlack save he looked a bit lost in one pre-season game.

I feel that neither Cantwell nor Buendia should remain as starters for the long term, considering that all of Hernandez, Rhodes and Vrancic are deserving of being starters.

No shame on the two youngsters. They have done well and cemented themselves in the squad. Cantwell, in particular, is a super prospect but somehow I do not see Buendia remaining long at Carrow Road for long. Cannot put a finger on why though .... might just be the Canos experience influential there?

He seems to get frustrated easily and didn''t he once show petulance when replaced recently? This attribute of self-belief in a player is a plus point, but only if the player is as good as he thinks he is. There are older, more experienced and safer hands always waiting on the bench after all. Good little player though and an attribute on the books who has adapted excellently, but patience will need be a virtue.

Regards Rhodes, it''s hardly sensible to have one of the league''s proven goalscorers on the books at enormous expense just to have him sitting on the bench. If there is a case for him not actually starting then his introduction should be earlier if the team is looking for a win or to save a point. Whilst he has hardly set the world on fire since arriving at the club he has shown enough in attitude and contribution to be more involved than he has recently. His goal tally would, imo, increase greatly and automatically given game time.

Pukki''s energy and strike power is best used behind Rhodes, imo, rather than running himself into the ground chasing lost causes as a lone striker.

I forecast that, by the end of the season, McClean will become an important fixture in the side and that we will be pressing the top teams as a result (hic!)

I really like Rhodes and feel he should be getting more of a chance but I don''t think I''ve ever seen another player with as a bizarre running style as Jordan has... Anyone else noticed it??!

Can''t disagree with much of what Broadstairs has written, though I haven''t really seen Buendia make me go ''wow, what a player'' yet.

The curious case of Ben Marshall is a little concerning. At Millwall last season, he caused havoc by early crosses and lots of attacking play, but so far, it hasn''t really worked out for him here. In my opinion, he''s not a right back, but we don''t play the low percentage ball into the box on the half-chance of Pukki or Rhodes to get on the end of it. Hope he doesn''t turn into this season''s Marley Watkins.

Yes. A fit Marshall could be a very useful card to have up the sleeve.

Initially as a sub, I suppose, to add width and crosses for Rhodes et. al when we are chasing points.

Another option.

As with McClean, we have yet to see the best of the resource that is Ben Marshall.

To be honest I’m still waiting to see what McLean is all about, but he’ll have to do well to displace our current youngsters in the starting 11, let’s be honest all doing really well.

Great to have a coach getting so much out of his players, rather than a manage struggling to get anything out of expensive journeymen.

Indy wrote the following post at 12/10/2018 5:59 PM:

To be honest I’m still waiting to see what McLean is all about, but

he’ll have to do well to displace our current youngsters in the starting

, let’s be honest all doing really well.

Great to have a coach getting so much out of his players, rather

than a manage struggling to get anything out of expensive journeymen.
At the moment that is certainly true, in an ideal senario players will have to displace the current player rather than walk into the team because of reputation or even performance on the training pitch, the shirt is that of the incumbant and his replacment should have the task of taking it from him.
I personally would never change a winning team, particularly when it contains so many young players who are learning fast.

Exactly my thoughts VW and that’s why I love Farke as I believe you will need to earn the place rather than demand it as others have in recent past.

Great to see and exciting too.

[quote user="Van wink"]
At the moment that is certainly true, in an ideal senario players will have to displace the current player rather than walk into the team because of reputation or even performance on the training pitch, the shirt is that of the incumbant and his replacment should have the task of taking it from him.
I personally would never change a winning team, particularly when it contains so many young players who are learning fast.[/quote] Why just a winning team? The settled team we''ve fielded recently, including the four youngsters, lost to Wigan. But the reasons for not making changes surely still apply just as much as if we''d won or drawn?

We had a decent little run of narrow scoreline wins. Then against two of the stronger outfits we''ve taken 1 from 6.

Too much has been made of those 4 league wins in a row. And the weaker links in the recent games have been the youngsters, particularly Buendia and Cantwell.

Of all our unavailable players Mclean is the one we have missed most - a physical, goalscoring, attacking midfielder. We don''t have anyone else like him, but we still don''t know if he can do it in this league after excelling in Scotland.

He''s the one we''ve missed most but we don''t know if he can do it in this league...

Doesn''t quite add up.

[quote user="GJP"]We had a decent little run of narrow scoreline wins. Then against two of the stronger outfits we''ve taken 1 from 6.

Too much has been made of those 4 league wins in a row. And the weaker links in the recent games have been the youngsters, particularly Buendia and Cantwell.[/quote] How come it''s OK to downplay the wins as "narrow" yet ignore the fact that we only "narrowly" dropped those 5 points against Derby and Stoke? Were we superior to the teams we narrowly beat? Yes, we were. Were we inferior to Derby and Stoke? No, we weren''t. 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="GJP"]We had a decent little run of narrow scoreline wins. Then against two of the stronger outfits we''ve taken 1 from 6.

Too much has been made of those 4 league wins in a row. And the weaker links in the recent games have been the youngsters, particularly Buendia and Cantwell.[/quote] How come it''s OK to downplay the wins as "narrow" yet ignore the fact that we only "narrowly" dropped those 5 points against Derby and Stoke? Were we superior to the teams we narrowly beat? Yes, we were. Were we inferior to Derby and Stoke? No, we weren''t. [/quote]
Yep, rather unfair on the achievements of the team that ignores the facts that two of those wins were against in form,top positioned teams, and a QPR who were also on a good run of form at the time.

Van wink wrote:

I personally would never change a winning team, particularly when it contains so many young players who are learning fast.

Why just a winning team? The settled team we''ve fielded recently, including the four youngsters, lost to Wigan. But the reasons for not making changes surely still apply just as much as if we''d won or drawn?

Yes I think thats right, a team that’s playing well would have been a better way to put it. I missed the Stoke game but by all accounts dispite the loss we played well.

Unfortunately, at least for McLean, we will have to wait a little longer. Just had surgery on his ankle, so that''s at least another 4 - 6 weeks.

I didn''t "downplay" them as narrow. They were all 1 goal winning margins. That is as narrow as a win gets.