Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Maddison's England Clause

Assuming the Sun are correct, 250,000 seems like quite a small amount for the clause in Maddison''s sale for earning an England cap. I would''ve hoped for an extra zero on that figure!

In David Freezer''s piece on the main page, it mentions that the clause would only be activated if he plays in a competitive game.

Do the ''Nations League'' fixtures count as competitive games? I''m unsure because the BBC are reporting that Jadon Sancho "became the second youngest player to make his England debut in a competitive international, behind only Duncan Edwards." Which one is it to be?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45843027

I wouldn''t worry too much about when an international clause will kick in. Unless something unforeseen happens he''ll play a game soon enough.
Regarding any amount to come when have the Sun ever been correct about anything ? On a £20m+ transfer it''s never going to be as little as £250,000 with Stuart Webber pulling the strings.

What benefit do Leicester get out of him earning his first cap? Why would it be a trigger for a substantial payment to us? Him playing 30/40/50 games for Leicester I can see the benefit for them. Him scoring 10/20/30 goals for Leicester I can see the benefit for them. That benefit flows back to us as part of the sale price add-ons.

Other than perhaps a few extra shirt sales with his name on the back, how do Leicester benefit from him playing international matches? £250,000 doesn’t seem an unreasonable amount to me, although I genuinely don’t know how much these sorts of clauses would usually be for.

True, but Leicester won''t hold onto him for too long if he keeps up his current progress. Bigger fish will be sniffing with bigger reputations and cheque books and European competition to boot.

An international cap or more will make the player even more valuable in the market place.

But an increase in value only benefits Leicester when they sell him. We would - I hope - get a percentage of the future sale and so we get our cut of any increase in value at that point.

Goals and appearances for the club add value from the pitch (more points, higher finish, more TV revenue etc.) - we wouldn’t get a cut of those benefits unless we get add-ons after x appearances or x goals, hence why these are common add on clauses.

International appearances though don’t add value to Leicester from the pitch and so I don’t see why they would agree to pay much to us as a result of him getting his first cap. If it is more than £250k though I won’t be complaining!

Didn''t Webber say the deal with Leicester was mostly fee and not made up of add ons? Cant remember the exact words. But the way I see it part of the fee being add ons only benefits the buying club. If a bigger percentage of the fee for Jarvis had been add ons we''d be grateful now....

[quote user="Aggy"]What benefit do Leicester get out of him earning his first cap? Why would it be a trigger for a substantial payment to us? Him playing 30/40/50 games for Leicester I can see the benefit for them. Him scoring 10/20/30 goals for Leicester I can see the benefit for them. That benefit flows back to us as part of the sale price add-ons.

Other than perhaps a few extra shirt sales with his name on the back, how do Leicester benefit from him playing international matches? £250,000 doesn’t seem an unreasonable amount to me, although I genuinely don’t know how much these sorts of clauses would usually be for.[/quote]

It''s not about what benefits Leicester, it''s a marker that he''s been a success at their club so a measn for our club to expect another payment as he''s obviously doing the business at his new club to an extent that he''s getting a call up.

That''s got to be right YB.

Leicester bought a player with big potential but who had never played at Premier League level before. The extras are to more accurately reflect the player both us and Leicester hope he will become in future. If he dosent achieve that potential then Leicester''s risk is limited to the transfer fee.

"Leicester bought a player with big potential but who had never played at

Premier League level before. The extras are to more accurately reflect

the player both us and Leicester hope he will become in future. If he

dosent achieve that potential then Leicester''s risk is limited to the

transfer fee.

"
England caps should result in increased player value for Leicester and payments to us will give us a small stake in that.
It was reported by Sky that the transfer fee was £22m raising to £24m with add ons as I recall, that would seem to suggest that add ons are capped??? but most of this is speculation.

Add-ons are always capped.

£250,000 for one England cap sounds about right - international appearances are generally small extras. There might be another £250k or similar if he makes more international appearances.

As Sky reported, Webber did a good job in getting nearly all of Maddison’s fee in guaranteed money and not tied to performances.

I get that Maddison earning a first cap suggests he is doing well for his club, but the add-ons still make up part of the whole deal (ie; what the buying club think it is worth paying for the player).

If he had a great first few months, got a cap, then had an absolute stinker of a season, does that make him £5million more valuable to Leicester? If he plays 30 games for Leicester and scores 10 then clearly it does. On the flip side, if he has a great season but the England manager at the time just doesn’t rate him, we miss out on a cut which we would have got had it been more heavily invested in club-related add ons.

I don’t know about whether the purchase price for Maddison was mostly paid upfront, but even if it there were a lot of add-ons, I’m not sure that you’d get much more than 250k for one international cap anyway.