Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Steve Stone

Will we get the actual/real reasons for SS and supposed departure......Or will it be just another "Bowkett button-lipped" ''Bye Bye''?.....

[quote user="CANARYKING"]It’s all over the pinkun and edp but nothing on canaries.co.uk, very peculiar[/quote]
That''s because they always get their breaking news from this message board. There is nothing new in their article that hasn''t already been said on here. Nothing from the club at all. No confirmation. Just copy and paste from here.

I’d imagine any delay between things being in the newspaper and on here is due to things like ‘fact checking’ and print deadlines. Easy to throw out a rumour here without any repucussions, not so easy if you are the largest local paper to start saying things based on heresay.

Not really perculiar it isn’t on the official site is it?

Do you think Archant would have led with their "exclusive" this morning if this thread hadn''t been started last night Bethnal?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I’d imagine any delay between things being in the newspaper and on here is due to things like ‘fact checking’ and print deadlines. Easy to throw out a rumour here without any repucussions, not so easy if you are the largest local paper to start saying things based on heresay.

Not really perculiar it isn’t on the official site is it?[/quote]
I assume this leaked out either from outside the club or unofficially from within (and that Archant got at least basic confirmation) before the club wanted or were prepared to announce it. Hence the  delay before an official statement. What seems clear from the Archant coverage is that they are pretty much in the dark as to why Stone seems to be leaving.

No idea Lappin, and of course neither do you.

But I’d suggest if fans were hearing about the rumours then Archant were too.

The thread was started at 10pm last night, it would be pretty good going for Archant to see the story, write it and redesign the paper when print deadlines are anything from 6pm until middnight normally.

It’s curious that there has been no comment from the club. Perhaps they are hoping to announce his replacement at the same time as making a statement about his departure.

Stone has indeed presided over a significant transformation. Perhaps the y/e 2018 accounts will offer some insights.

The previous year’s accounts showed a worrying trend in declining commercial revenues that were not connected to the loss of parachute payments or to player transfer dealings. The gap was some £2.5m in all. If Stone was unable to reverse this trend this would have been a source of pressure for him and he may have been chopped given that his remit was fundamentally about commercial rather than footballing matters. If this is the case then the board may have seen him as more of a bean counter than as a commercially savvy innovator.

Equally Stone may have been offered another opportunity elsewhere given that the top board salary was just over 400k (this may have changed for ye 2018). At £400k it would make him something of a bargain to a rival club, particularly one who already had a strong commercial Director in situ who wanted him for his financial acumen and leadership /change management qualities. Indeed it may even be the case that he was able to rebuild some of the club’s commercial income stream in17/18 and if so he’s very hot property for any club looking to progress. Indeed he would have been grossly undervalued at £400k and way off the money the club was willing to pay for Moxey (which in itself may have been a tricky issue for his employer to manage). Sadly there is no transfer fee for an executive. He was a good frontman for the club who seemed willing to be open and honest with the fans, but a lot goes on behind closed doors that will forever stay out of the public domain. Let’s hope a good replacement can be found and let’s also hope the board can find their manners and sufficient dignity to thank him and to wish him well.

We do not know but again until the club, issue a statement then rumours will abound.

Worried that we do not seem to get the CEO position right at the moment and would expect no structural changes, given the lauding of the new setup at the beginning of the last season.

Really hope it is not Webber or nephew Tom but someone with the experience in being a CEO of a football club.

[quote user="Mike "]We do not know but again until the club, issue a statement then rumours will abound.

Worried that we do not seem to get the CEO position right at the moment and would expect no structural changes, given the lauding of the new setup at the beginning of the last season.

Really hope it is not Webber or nephew Tom but someone with the experience in being a CEO of a football club.[/quote]

Like Jez?

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Mark Wilson, CEO of Aviva stepped down today. Is Steve Stone going there? Huge jump if so.[/quote]

I would love Mark Wilson to be CEO of NCFC, but no way is Stone coming to Aviva.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Mark Wilson, CEO of Aviva stepped down today. Is Steve Stone going there? Huge jump if so.[/quote]
Cue an instant slump in Aviva share price if so. Not happening in a million years.

Ed Balls needs a permanent job so give it to him. Tom can then become chairman leaving one space to fill in the boardroom for a fans representative.
Simples. [:)]

City can confirm Managing Director Steve Stone has left the Club to pursue new challenges.

Stone took on the role of Managing Director in March 2017 as part of the restructure of the Club following the departure of Chief Executive Jez Moxey.

He had earlier joined Norwich City as Director of Finance in April 2015 and also acted as Interim CEO when David McNally left the Club in May 2016.

Steve Stone said: “I’d like to thank everyone at Norwich City for all of their hard work and support during a testing period for the Club.

“The time is now right for me to seek a new challenge, but I wish the Board, staff and supporters of this great club all the very best for this season and the seasons ahead.”

The Club’s joint majority shareholders, Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones said: “We’re grateful to Steve for the important role he has played in helping to stabilise the Club in the challenging climate following our relegation from the Premier League in 2016.

“On behalf of the Board and everyone at Norwich City we’d like to thank Steve and wish him every success in his next venture.”

Norwich City is pleased to confirm the new senior management structure at the Club following the departure of Managing Director Steve Stone.

Stuart Webber remains as Sporting Director and will continue to oversee player transfers and the on-going development of Colney and the Academy.

Steve Stone''s former responsibilities will be absorbed by Ben Kensell (Chief Operating Officer) and Zoe Ward (Business and Project Director).They will be joined by Stuart Webber to form a new executive committee who will report to the Board.

Joint Majority Shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones commented: "It has always been part of our vision for the Club to create a dynamic team both on and off the pitch - and with the talented and dedicated managers and staff we have, we feel strongly that shared leadership is now the best way forward to achieve this.”

9.59pm last night Mike starts this thread.
6.02am this morning Michael Bailey breaks the news.
Assuming that Carrow Road was locked up and in darkness during that time lapse my money is on somebody from Carrow Road read the thread and got in touch with MB hence the limited information so far rather than it being released through official channels during the night.
Steve Stone is one of the good guys and we all hope that a transparent and open explanation to his departure is given rather than silly unfounded rumours circulating on social media. However the term in MB''s initial report that he is on indefinite leave as opposed to working out a period of notice hopefully means nothing more than badly chosen words.

Just seen Matt''s post and it now looks thankfully that it can now all be put to bed.
Good luck to you Steve Stone.

Not mad keen on this new management structure to be honest. A cynic night think that Stone has been gradually sidelined (who was it that took over responsibility for transfers last summer) and has decided to move on. I don’t like the fact there seems to be very little in the way of checks and balances on Webber (or should that be the Webbers). I had thought after McNally was allowed to become a bit of a control freak that we might have learnt our lesson.

[quote user="Mike "]We do not know but again until the club, issue a statement then rumours will abound.

Really hope it is not Webber or nephew Tom but someone with the experience in being a CEO of a football club.[/quote]
Stone wasn''t a CEO and we are not going to get a CEO to replace him.  
The club are creating a comittee to oversee finances, business and football, promoting from within - teamwork.  
Team on the pitch, team off the pitch too.
Who would have thought it....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not mad keen on this new management structure to be honest. A cynic night think that Stone has been gradually sidelined (who was it that took over responsibility for transfers last summer) and has decided to move on. I don’t like the fact there seems to be very little in the way of checks and balances on Webber (or should that be the Webbers). I had thought after McNally was allowed to become a bit of a control freak that we might have learnt our lesson.[/quote]

Totally agree Jim... Sad to see Steve Stone go but obviously did not feel part of the team or was not content in his role.

I don''t pretend to understand all of this but I''m not delighted by the idea we''re not replacing him, feels like a bit of a cost cutting decision.

The press release quoted by Matt J supports the idea that SS is leaving for another job.

The new management structure has the feel to me of a quick reshuffle to keep things ticking over, pending something more permanent. Time will tell.

Personally I''m a fan of having someone heavyweight (above Webber) who''s tasked with overseeing the whole business and making sure the finances are well-organized. Which would include making sure, when we''re next promoted, that we don''t give any contracts on high wages running beyond the end of parachute payments.... But overall NCFC is a sizeable business which justifies this.

Much of this job inevitably goes on behind the scenes so we have no real way to judge how well it''s being done. I still think the years under McNally were the period when the club seemed best controlled in this way. Although the current season seems to have been well managed, financially, to deal with the end of parachute payments.

I should be clear this is just my take on what''s been put in public, I have no inside sources at the club whatsoever !!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Jim Smith"]I guess the key question in terms of how worrying it is is why? He could just have been offered a better paid job and decided to jump ship. The alternative is that there is some other reason he has decided to leave such as disagreements behind hmthe scenes or a realisisation he was fighting a losing battle under the self funding model.

He’d better not get a payoff if he’s quit though and Balls better not pocket another hefty sum for “standing in”[/quote]
He seems to have been put on gardening leave, which suggests he is either after a competitor job in football or there has been a bust-up behind the scenes. I doubt the self-funding model has anything to do with it. If anything that would be a satisfying challenge to make work. I suspect - not just because of this - that Webber will be promoted to the board.
[/quote]
Only a guess but I suspect Stone, assuming he stays in football, wants now to be a proper CEO, including taking on the football stuff, which was never going to happen with us while Webber or another sporting director was in place. The reshuffle certainly doesn''t diminish Webber''s power, far from it, and he may well soon join the board.

SS has without doubt done a very good job but the timing of all this thinking about it seems very strange as the accounts are due out any day with the AGM  traditionally held in the month of November. Steve must have been heavily involved in the preparation and personally i would have thought he would have seen the job through and then stepped down after the AGM to seek the new challenge he is looking for according to the club statement. No period of notice being worked out but gone virtually overnight.

Either that or that or perhaps feeling a little sidelined by various elements of what it seems to me would often be a CEO''s job being done by other people. Either way i think its a bit of a shame as he seemed solid and competent and to me felt like the kind of counterweight we needed to some of the younger more ambitious/eager members of the team. I have heard good things about Ben Kensell but good luck to him being the third member of that particular "executive committee."

Husbands, wives, nephews - we certainly like to keep it in the family (sure fans of other clubs would find a joke there somewhere).