Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Lewis signs new contract

From a financial perspective I''d expect we''d get at least 8 figures for him now.

Long term deal, international caps and Ipswich got £8m odd for their young left back a few years ago.

Would want considerably more than £10m if we were to sell him the. Hope any clause is £30m+ just in case. If he hits mid table prem standard then £30m is pretty par for the course these days anyway!

Nobody is paying £30m for Championship left backs- lets just be clear about that right now.

One thing you can be comfortable about though is that if he does leave it won''t be on the cheap. Since Webber arrived we''ve generally gotten good prices for our younger players. Maddison was (as far as I''m aware) a record fee for a player who''d never played above Championship level and getting £20m+ combined for the Murphy brothers is a good bit of business.

Top money received for the Murphy twins but still think Maddison went too cheap. He has probably doubled in value in 2 months playing time at Leicester .

I think that with Maddison the secret lies in the add-ons.

I''m guessing/recalling but didn''t we end up with c. £22m for JM, but with sufficient in the pipeline to maintain the self-funding model for decades to come?

The inevitable Lewis bonanza is going to fund that new stand.

The Aarons money will pay all of Delia''s nursing home fees until well after the date she gets her telegram from Liz, who will herself have become the longest serving monarch in world history.

Next?

Will be hard for Norwich, when in the Championship, to ever get more money for a player than they did with Maddison.

Player values are not only determined by their ability, but also about the turnover of the buying and selling club. Norwich getting a record fee for a player who had never played above Championship level outstanding, no matter how well he goes on to play for Leicester - especially when you consider that only two clubs expressed firm interest in signing him in the summer - Southampton and Leicester.

Seem Aarons is close to a new deal with Norwich, despite having only just signed one. Goes to show how proactive the club are in securing player’s future. Personally think Max will be a far superior player to Lewis, who I still aren’t entirely convinced with.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Max’s contract was sorted out in the summer. Deal until 2021 with an option for a further season.[/quote]
Was it? They''ve only just put it on the homepage, on this site, in that case!

Brilliant news, thanks for posting.

I think you can''t argue with £25m for Maddison. Yes he''s probably gone up in value due to performing well in the Prem. But that''s the nature of football - plenty of players don''t make that step-up so doing it adds value. If we could have got promoted last season we''d probably have been able to keep him and secure that increase ourselves - but we didn''t.

JL already has full international caps at a very young age and Aarons is younger still, but equally impressive. We know they''re going to be massively saleable assets potentially and very good players to boot if they keep progressing, so their contracts aren''t a massive surprise.
Thompson getting a 4 year contract on the back of essentially 2 years not playing is a phenomenal show of faith in a player none of us have really seen much of in his 4 years with us. The coaching staff must see something real in training to reflect such a deal, which should only be good news for us.

[quote user="Mason 47"]
JL already has full international caps at a very young age and Aarons is younger still, but equally impressive. We know they''re going to be massively saleable assets potentially and very good players to boot if they keep progressing, so their contracts aren''t a massive surprise.
Thompson getting a 4 year contract on the back of essentially 2 years not playing is a phenomenal show of faith in a player none of us have really seen much of in his 4 years with us. The coaching staff must see something real in training to reflect such a deal, which should only be good news for us.
[/quote]A good day all round

And a reflection on how well the club''s recruitment is doing as well as the coaching set up.
For young pomising players to head out to ''the sticks'' says much about where the club is getting it right. Just as it appears that there is no ''soft touch'' as players who are not deemed to be able to progress and moved on (Mathews).
On purely monetary evaluation then the club looks to be stable as players will move on, jut as Luton, Coventry Swindon, York are aware.
On the playing side it is excellent to see youngsters coming through the ranks, as well as the likes of Vrancic, Stieperman and Zimmerman who have shown the belief behind their signings. Few will hit the ground running and fans should be patient. The PL contracts are almost cleared. There will not be the need find the extra sums to cover a PL wage bill on Championship income from nex summer on.
The players already on the pitch look the part. We are getting the style of football Farke talked about when he joined and there promises to be more of that - as well as more ''sows ears'' being turned into silk purses.
Happy days

Couldn''t be more pleased, just good news all round. There''s something special about watching the lads from the academy make it.

Anyone know where we are contracts wise with Cantwell? He has really impressed me this season. Still loads to learn and a way to go but personally I feel he could end up being the best of the bunch.

Cantwell''s is out in 2019 so I''d imagine a new one is being worked on at the moment.
Certainly exciting times and it must be added motivation for other players in and around the academy. Spyrou and Idah next?

Great news on all three and looking forward to them playing for us for the next few years.

To have 3 players of that standard re sign is fantastic add the others like Godfrey and Cantwell

Thats 5 youngsters that any championship side would love to have

also others like Idah waiting in the wings seems the last 2/3 of years of youth recruitment has been very good

As for Lewis left footed full back with pace works the flanks well up and down full of Energy

young and full of potential he is worth big money to PL teams

TBF the ball got caught under his feet and he then slipped and fell over allowing Djeko through on goal, probably more of a footing error than anything else, only saw the highlights and the pundits were also blaming him partially for their second too!

JL had nothing to do with the Bosnian second goal, but what a terrible slip for their their first.
I would say however that I think it''s better that it happened for NI and not for us, and that isn''t just Norwich bias. No matter what anyone says, this whatever-the-name league they''ve dreamt up is just a series of glorified friendlies and I''d wager Jamal is a lot better off not having cost us 3 points in front of a baying Carrow Road.

Lewis didn''t cost the team last night.

Saville completely missed a volley early on and then hit the post from what would have been a decent cross/pass from Lewis had he have scored. Gavin White somehow hits the post from 6 yards etc. The slip was unfortunate but in a game where NI looked pretty good it can''t be said that it was Lewis who cost them - the slip was unfortunate and just part of football.

Not sure how he was at fault for the second goal at all?

Pundit said it was,Ian Wright?, I missed it as I wasn''t paying attention when they showed it, think he said something about positioning?

Ian Wright is a dreadful pundit. Remember the “ he passes it to him” on motd, whilst commentating on us? Can’t recall who we were playing though?