Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Time to give Nelson another go?

What would the consensus be if Jordan Rhodes got injured in the next couple of games? Would we have Srbeny up top and Nelson on the bench or would people prefer Idah/Spyrou given a chance?

That scenario would really reveal Farke''s willingness/resistance to include Oliveira in the squad.

If Rhodes gets injured over the next couple of weeks, then Srbeny should get a run but surely you’d have to have Nelson on the bench. I guess we would then see how serious this situation would be, should he not appear.

[quote user="hogesar"]Well of course Clint, if Nelson were to sort himself out then Farke would naturally reintegrate him into the team. Ignoring Kings hyperbole, have we seen anything to suggest that might happen? Maybe the U23 appearance was the start but why didnt it continue?

Equally, what I know for a fact is Nelson told the club at the end of last season he would never play for us again.[/quote]
Maybe, rather ironically, having Nelson around and seeing how crazy egotistical behaviour can affect an individual talented player''s prospects at our club has galvanised the squad into reaching its current level of achievement.  It is surely a lesson to the youngsters in particular in how not to behave, in how not to let your own ego take over, and on why it is necessary to show the utmost respect at all times to your elders and superiors. They know that if they step out of line they will fall by the wayside as Nelson has.
Maybe this enhanced self-discipline throughout the squad is why we are seeing such a remarkable turnaround, and maybe we have Nelson, and also Farke in his justified no-nonsense treatment of him to thank for this welcome impetus in our promotion prospects. 

It''s interesting that the narrative heard amongst supporters tells you that the reason for all this is that Farke is strong-arming Oliveira out of the team based on some fierce personality defects.
Webber is most definitely part of this decision for one thing, and I see no reason to look any further than exactly what we''ve been told about the situation- all parties have agreed that Nelson won''t play for us again, he''s a handy non-disruptive presence in training and u23 duty is for fitness ahead of a January move.
At this point you have Pukki, who has started brilliantly for us, Jordan Rhodes who is also scoring goals and playing a key role in the team on & off the pitch, and Srbeny who has very obviously put in a lot of work and is seeing a return on that with much improved performances. Speaking honestly, you''d have to be telling two of those three that they aren''t making the matchday squad for Nelson based on very good performances 2 years ago. Why risk the disruption?

Not so sure about the remarkable transformation. Better than expected a few weeks ago I agree. The crunch for me is that from my perspective we were beaten comfortabley last time out, at home, by a team who didn''t break sweat to do it. Despite the rapturous appluase at the end, the eye catching footy was more akin to Colney training ground than the rigours of the championship. Although their goal was a tad fortunate, it was caused by them breaking at pace. Something we seem incapable of doing. So I think that if you''ve got a class player on your books than you have to have them in the match day squad. Even if he''s not that popular. And do we know he isn''t for a fact?. Even so I imagine there''s many a footballer on team sheets who aren''t the most well liked. I doubt if Neymars team mates think the world of him. Except for when he earns them a win bonus. Also when Olive was last on show he was feeding on scraps, whereas this present lot look more capable of providing better scraps. I for one hope he''s at least on the bench today. Plus Timmi''s been looking a bit jaded anyway.

This has got to be a joke!

Referring to Oliveira as a ‘quality player’ is laughable. He shouldn’t be in the squad again on the basis he’s not good enough (worse than our current three strikers).

Before people start complaining about the fact he was feeding off scraps - look at his goal record wherever he’s been - it’s poor.