Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Time to give Nelson another go?

Yellow and green has posted the most sensible and, in my opinion, accurate, reflection of the current situation.

Until they resolve their differences, he''s not getting picked by Farke. A loan out or sale in January beckons - if anyone will have him.

Having had a knee-jerk reaction of no way, I have since thought that if a player in a similar situation was available on loan from another team in January, we might well be tempted to give him a go. Because of his reputation, he''d be relatively cheap and low risk for a half-season loan. Plus you would hope he would be motivated to make a success of it.
So maybe give him a go if he isn''t going to disturb the team mood, as BYG suggests.

He was a problem most of last season and it all started on the very first game at Fulham and since then he has not figured quite rightly so in Farke''s plans.
Is he actually training with the first team squad as he did not even figure amongst the 18 at Wycombe when 10 changes were made ?
Get rid in my book and how nobody took him on loan during the summer must tell a lot.

Have to agree with Tilly.

The current matchday squad is displaying a real sense of togetherness further displayed at the final whistle against Stoke when players were visibly picking their teammates up off the floor after a disappointing result.

To throw Oliveira and his ego into the mix would, in my view, completely undo the work that has been put in by the coaching staff and squad to this point. He has talent, I don’t think anyone would dispute that, however the collective is more important than the individual and I’ve never seen any evidence that Nelson buys into that ethos.

Of course, it’s not us that he has to convince otherwise but as TIL said, if he can’t get a game at Wycombe in the Cup, a recall to a league squad appears to be pie in the sky.

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]
FFS...not that resurrected yet again ?
His City career is a dead as the parrot in the Monty Python sketch.
[/quote]

Rehabilitation?

A man of Nelsons talents, we should be looking for a better outcome than the current situation.[/quote]
I''m sure we have explored options for a better outcome but in his case it''s been proven once an a*se always an a*se.
Given his CV I''m disappointed we got him at all but to be fair he did look the dogs b*llocks before the strops set in.

Not as long as I’ve still got a hole in my Arsenal.

U23 s only. Ship Sailed. Parrot Deceased. Ex Parrot. Parrot is no more. Etc.

I remain very confused by the sheer strength of feeling some have on here against Nelson, especially when I consider the heroes send off Wes got only a few months ago.

[quote user="king canary"]I remain very confused by the sheer strength of feeling some have on here against Nelson, especially when I consider the heroes send off Wes got only a few months ago.[/quote]I know the international breaks are wearing for some, but when normally sensible posters start losing it, as here, we should maybe find some way of helping them get through the two weeks without league matches.

Wes tried to force a transfer, refused to celebrate a goal he scored because he wanted to move to the club he scored against and reportedly called us a ''shit club'' because we wouldn''t let him move.

Nelson on the other hand did a fairly stupid celebration when he scored v Fulham.

I''m not comparing the ability of the two but I''m a touch confused how people were so forgiving of the former while so unwilling to forgive the latter.

Is it simply that you can get away with it if you play well?

You can get away with a lot when you give 10 years of service to a club, part of a massively important journey from League One to the Prem, and that same player gets disillusioned in a season where it was obvious utilising him more often would have been beneficial to us..
To then on top of that continue to play well for us after that disillusioned season, and during it; when leaving us brings him to tears on multiple occasions, it''s all very different.
Whereas if you''re going to do that stupid celebration in the first game of a NEW MANAGERS career, sulk for most of the season and not bother challenging for balls etc, then in conclusion it''s so incomparably different.

I never bought in to the idea he was sulking and not trying to be honest- I remember people throwing that at him after the Arsenal game where it purest nonsense.

I think with Nelson a lot see what they want to see- after Fulham he was written off as a ''diva'' who didn''t work hard and that become the narrative. I thought he seemed frustrated but I never got the impression he didn''t try when he started.

I''m not saying he''s perfect but I think some have written him off far too easily for some relatively minor offences. I notice also that Bethnal (who is pretty well connected it seems) stated that he''s still well liked by his teammates and training with the first team squad but that seems to have been ignored as it doesn''t fit the narrative.

Nelson is a massive waste of money for us at this time and you CAN NOT compare him to Wes. Complete madness to even suggest it.
I have never seen anything like Nelson''s fury in that game, after being left on the bench, aside from maybe that Newcastle player who came on, scored, then took all his clothes off (including boots) and kicked the ad boards.
Nelson''s problem is that he thinks he''s better than he is. He wants to be loved by the fans of whatever club he''s playing for and you can see that he''s passionate (I''ll give him that). Also appreciate that it must have been pretty darn annoying to be left out when he''d finished the previous season so strongly and thought that he''d (finally) found his home with Norwich. Unfortunately, though, his ego gets in the way. It can be a good attribute to have a bit of an ego and over confidence as a footballer (look at Maddison for example) but if not channelled correctly it just makes you look like an idiot. Nelson has been so sulky it''s quite ridiculous. He looks happier now, but I reckon most of us would too if you were pretty much the highest paid player at a club without even really playing...
They say footballers want to play football. Why hasn''t he gone on loan? Why hasn''t he been sold? Well, just now, clearly nobody wants to take him on. When he sorts his attitude, they might.

It is amazing how people who have never met Nelson, and probably never met anyone who actually knows him, can be so sure what his ego/personality is like.

No one knows what has been said between him and Farke and no one here really knows what is going on in Nelson’s head.

In my opinion it is a shame to freeze out a player who is earning a significant amount of money and has significant ability. I understand why Farke feels it is necessary but it would be ultimately better for everyone if a solution where Nelson can contribute to Norwich City is found.

He isn’t a striker who particularly fitted Norwich’s style last season, but with the way Norwich have played this season, I think there could be more of a role for him.

The obvious thing is, in our financial situation, if Farke and / or Webber believed Nelson could positively contribute he would be in the first team. We''re not in a financial position to ignore a 30k a week player (or whatever it is) unless we think he would be seriously detrimental to the overall team. And it''s not like Norwich is the only club he hasn''t worked out at, is it?
As for meeting him, i''ve met him once. So it''s pointless to judge on that. Actually, on that occasion both Maddison and Nelson were a bit cocky and not really endearing themselves to those around him. But subsequently i''ve met Maddison in a different environment on several occasions and he was perfectly pleasant, so nothing to say that Nelson isn''t either.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It is amazing how people who have never met Nelson, and probably never met anyone who actually knows him, can be so sure what his ego/personality is like.

No one knows what has been said between him and Farke and no one here really knows what is going on in Nelson’s head.

In my opinion it is a shame to freeze out a player who is earning a significant amount of money and has significant ability. I understand why Farke feels it is necessary but it would be ultimately better for everyone if a solution where Nelson can contribute to Norwich City is found.

He isn’t a striker who particularly fitted Norwich’s style last season, but with the way Norwich have played this season, I think there could be more of a role for him.[/quote]
We only see one side, I appreciate that, and following him on social media- he always has a smile on his face and is seemingly trying to help the young players. However, we have seen what he did on the pitch and the way he behaved. If he''s happy to do that in front of thousands watching, I can only imagine what kind of things he''s said or done behind closed doors!
Clearly a lot of frustration built up on his part and it is just plain annoying that it has worked out this way because he CAN be a good player. I just don''t think he''s very humble and this doesn''t fit with Farke''s view of what a player should bring to a club. Hard work and humility... Can get you a long way in all walks of life.

"..... if Farke and / or Webber believed Nelson could positively contribute he would be in the first team. We''re not in a financial position to ignore a £30k a week player."

True. The club comes first.

I''m one of those who is not too keen on the player and feel that his difficulties might have been glossed over by some on this thread but he is,nevertheless, on the pay-roll and would clearly have something to offer the team.

If he is rehabilitated then it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could make contributions valuable enough to help the team get a play-off place.

His wages would be justified then, they are not now.

Also, if he does return to the fold and achieves some success then there is every chance that this will increase his attractiveness and value in the market place.

We cannot but guess about his relationship with Farke at the moment and Turkey and Saudi Arabia might be bosom pals by comparison, but if things are at an even keel then I for one wouldn''t object to seeing the ''geezer'' starting in the yellow once again.

However, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder and I feel I may have been more derisive towards the player in the past.

It''s the economy innit!

I’d play him,he is still a Norwich player and a few goals equals a bigger transfer fee. Ideal as a bench option and it would be Sod’s law he’d bang a few in to prove a point .

When Lambert first come to Norwich, he told Wes he could leave as he was overweight, unfit, didn’t fit with his style and had a bit of an ego. We all know what ultimately happened. Things can change very quickly in football and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a similar situation arise with Nelson.

[quote user="Clint"]When Lambert first come to Norwich, he told Wes he could leave as he was overweight, unfit, didn’t fit with his style and had a bit of an ego. We all know what ultimately happened. Things can change very quickly in football and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a similar situation arise with Nelson.[/quote]
If that is to happen, Nelson will have had to have had something of a life changing enlightenment to see the error of his egoistic ways.  Could happen, but unlikely.  As it stands he must be considered fourth choice at best, Teemu, Rhodes, Srbeny in front.  There is one of those out of action for a few weeks so he moves up to third choice, so still unlikely to feature.....

Well of course Clint, if Nelson were to sort himself out then Farke would naturally reintegrate him into the team. Ignoring Kings hyperbole, have we seen anything to suggest that might happen? Maybe the U23 appearance was the start but why didnt it continue?

Equally, what I know for a fact is Nelson told the club at the end of last season he would never play for us again.