Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Forest match thread

A word for Buendia when he came on. Lost his starting place to Hernandez, but was excellent when called upon. Helped keep our forward rhythm going and tackled back well to help snuff out Forest attacks. 

A lot to like about how we are playing and this team at present. We got caught cold first fifteen minutes and could have been two down but after that I thought we were much the better side and played them off the park at times as we did at Derby a few weeks ago. These are fancied sides but we are better than them.

The two full backs continue to be great. Aarons I think had his first iffy spell since coming into the team in the first half but recovered strongly after half time to the extent he was probably our best player second half. Tettey is playing better than I can recall and managing two or three games a week. Leitner makes us tick and it’s no coincidence our two poorest spells in the game were before he got going and in the five to ten minutes when he was running off an injury.

I think we did miss Pukki and his runs/movement but not that badly.

Stiepermann another who had a poor first half (that miss) but again improved dramatically after the break. As for Cabtwell I wrote a while back that I was not yet convinced due to doubts about his movement/physicality and whether he was suited to a wide role. I’m still not sure he is but need no further convincing on the ability front as I thought he was fantastic with some of his link play and through balls and is really growing into his role as a first team regular.

The biggest positive I can take is that even when one down I felt we had it in us to come back and get something because we are now able to control games in a manner we couldn’t before. Last season if we went one down away that was pretty much curtains. I think both players and fans now no longer feel like that and that belief is a powerful thing. No outstanding teams in the league this year. Anything can happen.

I know it was only a few snippets in the highlights but Todd Cantwell really looked like he is growing into a very tidy first teamer. I loved the little outside of the boot pass into Lewis who then set Stiepermann up for his near post miss. Good stuff. To think we’d be winning away at forest with such fledglings in our team at the moment is very pleasing. Who’ll be the next to break in do we think? Idah?

Cantwell had a superb game in terms of chance creation. Really should have had two assists to his name. Surprised Lincoln hasn''t come on to praise him after his previous unwarranted criticism [:)]

I think a lot of people had doubts over Cantwell initially. No real shame in admitting that I don’t think.

I remember thinking he looked too lightweight and almost a bit overwhelmed when I first saw him. But it seems his spell in Holland helped him mature in more ways than one and right now I he’s deservedly keeping his place. I love his energy. Well done to the boy, it’s somehow even more satisfying when someone comes good that you had your doubts about. Credit to Hier Farke for throwing these lads in too. It’s enjoyable watching a young team grow.

[quote user="ricardo"]It''s going much better than anyone expected. Long may it continue.[/quote]Hi Ricardo - are you going to do one of your statistical extrapolations this year? I can''t remember when you do it?

What a great result...unbeaten at home since April and in form and to go behind. Fair play to Farke and really impressed on how the youngsters are being used.

Result against Villa and onwards and upwards..

[quote user="Coneys Knee"] ....... it’s somehow even more satisfying when someone comes good that you had your doubts about........[/quote] There must be a vast amount of satisfaction around then, given just how many words are having to be eaten right now (and not only regarding Cantwell)! [:D]

Signs are really good, let''s hope we avoid our traditional post Christmas slump...early days but far better than could have been hoped for...

Sounds like I''m in a fair majority when I say when Cantwell was retained for the squad this season I didn''t really get it. I''d heard lots of good things but hadn''t really seen enough of them to think it wasn''t just a cheap alternative to a new signing.

I still wasn''t convinced until something clicked away at Derby, and he''s improved each subsequent game and has really come into his own. I don''t know if that diagonal run infield across their defence is a training ground thing or just a Todd thing but we''ve now seen it at least 3 distinct times that have led to one Pukki goal and one Onel post.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Sounds like I''m in a fair majority when I say when Cantwell was retained for the squad this season I didn''t really get it. I''d heard lots of good things but hadn''t really seen enough of them to think it wasn''t just a cheap alternative to a new signing.

I still wasn''t convinced until something clicked away at Derby, and he''s improved each subsequent game and has really come into his own. I don''t know if that diagonal run infield across their defence is a training ground thing or just a Todd thing but we''ve now seen it at least 3 distinct times that have led to one Pukki goal and one Onel post.[/quote]
He looks to have come a long way in a short time - his outings early in the season in the cup were tidy if non-spectacular and he didn''t create much in those games, but once given a place in the first team for the league, he has progressed and grown in stature much more than I expected. Much credit to Farke for bringing him on as a player.  The one thing that will boost him still further is a goal, then once he gets that confidence - and he showed he is not afraid to have a shot when the opportunity arises - he will be a player and a half.

The PinkUn match page had a predicted line up and they had Hernandez coming in for Cantwell not Buendia.

They must have just assumed that he would be the one to make way but he is more than just a winger/wide man.

On another note, the BBC stats said that no Englishman has scored for us in the League this year and we had the most non English in our starting line ups, in the Championship.

With all due respect to Forest, who are a pretty fine side, we absolutely wiped the floor with them in that second half.

I''m thinking of switching to Todd Cantwell from Alex Tettey as my favourite player. He seems to float across the pitch and yet when you see him in the tackle he is surprisingly strong and holds his own against bigger opposition players. I think this has to be done to superb conditioning from our sports scientists and coaching staff. In fact, thinking about it, all our squad look to be really well conditioned.

Todd has the ability to develop into a Teddy Sheringham type player or even a Tierry Henri.

Anyone see that little flick from his right foot onto his left foot in the build up to the Hernandez chance?! My goodness, Cantwell looks like a real, real talent.

Cantwell is definitely starting to show Maddison-like touches on the park. He won''t be taking our free kicks as Leitner has that covered, but IMO he''s starting to provide the same kind of close control and incisive passing that Maddison did.

Interestingly, the main difference I see at this time is his body language, Maddison had an arrogance about him that all great players do, whereas Cantwell still appears to have an "I can''t believe I''m in the first team" kind of body language when he doesn''t have the ball.

Cantwell isn''t at Maddison''s level yet for sure, but his confidence is clearly growing and I''m looking forward to see where he''s headed. Get a decent hair cut and a bang in a couple of goals from just outside the 18 yard box and we may be there... wonder where his best position is going to be?

Something I noticed was the team coming out at half time, now we all know the opposition team usually come out first and our boys only appear when the ref shows, but not at Nottingham our boys were out way before anyone else. Maybe they were kicked out early ?

We seem to have stopped our slow, sloppy starts to the second half Swindon. Perhaps there is a link but whatever the reason we are coming out sharper and more “on it” in the last few games.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The PinkUn match page had a predicted line up and they had Hernandez coming in for Cantwell not Buendia.

They must have just assumed that he would be the one to make way ............[/quote] Probably based on nothing more than the fact that Hernandez started wide left every game prior to his injury. I.E. simplistic journalism rather than any in depth assessment re. which of Cantwell or Buendia was likely to make way! Even a quick look at Transfermarkt could have told them that wide right has been Hernandez primary position throughout most of his career.

On that stat about non-english starting lineups, that may be so, but I''d bet we are also pretty high up in the number of academy products both in the team and minutes on the pitch, which for me is far more important than just the number of Englishmen...

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]With all due respect to Forest, who are a pretty fine side, we absolutely wiped the floor with them in that second half.

I''m thinking of switching to Todd Cantwell from Alex Tettey as my favourite player. He seems to float across the pitch and yet when you see him in the tackle he is surprisingly strong and holds his own against bigger opposition players. I think this has to be done to superb conditioning from our sports scientists and coaching staff. In fact, thinking about it, all our squad look to be really well conditioned.

Todd has the ability to develop into a Teddy Sheringham type player or even a Tierry Henri.[/quote]

I''m really with you here. After we equalized, you''d have expected Forest to try to take it up a gear but it never materialised. And I can rarely remember us seeing out a single goal lead away at a team above us in the league with such little drama.

Krul had a couple of straightforward stops that I can remember and a couple of difficult crosses, but after they hit the bar he wasn''t ever really stretched that I can remember ? Which tells a story.

Also I really agree with the comments that it was really encouraging that we did so well after going behind so quickly. Yes there''s always a worry because you can control a game but just fail to put away your chances, but at 1-0 down I really felt we would probably come away with at least a draw. To go on to win so comfortably is really impressive. It''s worth reminding people Forest were unbeaten at home this season before this game.

Also credit to our fullbacks. Before the game I flagged that in Nottingham they''re very excited about their winger Lolley as he showed when he cut inside and hit the bar shortly after their goal, but Aarons did really well to pick him up from then on, to the point where Forest ended up subbing him.