Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Football manager 19 - Norwich / Ipswich

There must be a few fans playing the latest FM game.

Anyone noticed any hiccups on the game so far? A friend of mine saw Farke fired by October for a poor start.

Bit of a confusion with a couple of our players and for some reason Pilkington is a club favoured players?

Funnier though is the Ipswich town data thread on the FM forums where one Binner has moaned about the youth team in particular having crap stats, worth a read especially when the games dev''s basically say "Its because they are crap"

https://community.sigames.com/topic/448170-england-ipswich-town-data-issues/

I think perhaps you''ve misunderstood Nexus. I think the researcher was referring to the accuracy of the assessment of potential within the game.

The guy was put out that the players were under 3 stars for potential - Researcher said dont rely on the scout reports they''re not always accurate.

On first read after what you''d said I took this to mean that real-life scout reports may have exaggerated how good these players were potentially in real life.

However, I think the researcher is talking about the in-game scouting reports.

Players have hidden potential values, but the scout reports within the game may not accurately reflect this.

For instance if he has used a scout with not particularly good scores for assessing potential ability he may rate a player with only 2.5 star potential, whereas his true potential on the game might be more (and a scout with a better rating for assessing potential may rate him higher)

I dont think he was saying that this fan over-rated his own teams youth

He was put out that their renowned academy doesn''t have anyone predicted to be the next big England hope, because they always think they have at least 1 like that.
Most recently I''ve heard that Dozzell is one of the best technical players in the Championship. Conor Wickham was going to be the perfect foil for Wayne Rooney for England, and who can forget Tyrone Mings, the best young left-back outside the PL with 12 appearances since 2015?
Ultimately although the researcher is likely to be a fan (I would figure you have to be to process that level of detail for a club) there''s a reason that every player rating isn''t 20 in all categories.
Ours have been relatively accurate for the past few years, with only the Murphy boys usually moving to the Prem for mega-bucks and McGeehan usually does alright. We must be a nightmare to assess at the moment given how many of our players were plucked from relative obscurity but are performing well in the English second tier!

With regards to the hidden ratings they do exist on a scale of -200 to 200, done in sets of 20. Where a player is placed on this scale in their hidden rating informs ultimately what their ceiling is, which is then what the in-game scouts feed off (though as mentioned above, how close they get to the truth can depend on how good the scout is, and even then sometimes they get it way off).
I think the two Murphy twins on 2014 were rated max 180 for Josh and max 160 for Jacob (out of 200), which gives you an idea of how it is targeted.

The inevitable "Wonderkids 19" list has Jamal Lewis on it though. Which is a start.

I think its always hard as a fan to see players under / over achieving. Realistically we have a really good set of youth players coming through atm.

Was surprised that Madders is not on the list though to be fair.

That all said I am a strict lower league manager so will be playing as Dulwich Hamlet this game.

I''ve not moved on from 17 as have got stuck in an extended journeyman save nearly 10 seasons in that I don''t want to leave yet.

I always said that I would not progress past 17 due to the inclusion of Lowestoft town.

Feel sucker punched by 18 a little as cosmetically it looked awesome but it felt very half finished.

What ive seen of 19 it looks really good. We will have to see though.

I''m currently on a save I started just shy of 2 years ago, and the game date is November 2044. It''s like a comfy pair of old shoes.

Early word on the beta says it is a big improvement from 18- I''m sorely tempted but I''m not sure my old Macbook air will run it without exploding.