Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Todd Cantwell

I''ve only seen the briefest highlights of the Forest game but it looks like Cantwell made another positive contribution. Farke deserves praise for playing him and the other youngsters. As Hucks said after the game on Saturday, if Neil Adams was still here none of them would have got a game

Now our youth development is seemingly flying It’s easy to criticise previous managers for not giving our academy players a chance, but perhaps the academy simply wasn’t producing players who were good enough?

Farke is now benefiting from work done in previous regimes, we gained ‘Category 1’ status in 2013 with the goal being to start producing players who are good enough for the first team. Lewis arrived in 2014, Aarons 16, Godfrey 16, Maddison 16, Thompson 14...

I’ll give Farke the upmost credit for giving academy players there chance and getting consistent performances out of them...

but I’m not sure you can criticise previous managers for not taking a similar route...

There''s also a big difference in priorities between now and when Neil Adams was in charge. Both he and Alex Neil were expected to field teams capable of getting us back to the Premier League and hopefully surviving there. How many unproven youngsters does Hucks think could reasonably have been given their chance in those circumstances? 

The other point is that the need to offload high-wage players created gaps in the squad. It was almost inevitable that some would be filled by youth producta if they were anything like good enough.
That said, especially given his background coaching the Borussia Dortmund II team, it does seem Farke has a talent for working wth young players and is willing to trust them to perform and improve.

Neil Adams gave young players a chance. I thought Hucks was referring to Alex Neil - who certainly didn''t (James Maddison in particular).

From what I have seen of Cantwell his pass and move and playing on the move set him apart. He could be exceptional.

He has come on leaps and bounds and is certainly growing into his role as a first teamer. A few weeks ago I was unconvinced as to whether he was ready to make the grade at this level, not because of talent/skill (which he has always had) but more because he looked a bit cumbersome and like someone who was still growing into their body. Having seen a bit of him when he was 15/16, he was quite small/slight and so I was quite surprised when he first came into the team last season to see how he had shot up and felt he looked a bit immobile/leggy. Watching him in pre-season at luton I felt similar and I still don''t think a wide midfield role (certainly not an orthodox one) is really the right position for him.

In recent weeks, however, I feel his performances at QPR, Derby, at home against Stoke and then at Forest on Saturday have seen him take his game to another level and he looks great. I''m sure some of this is a growing confidence and belief that he belongs and another element may be him getting used to the physicality but he seems full of running and some of his touches and passing have been top notch. As others have commented probably the only thing lacking at present is a goal or two but when he does finally score i am sure he may go on a little run on that front as well. Very promising.

With Buendia, Vrancic, Trybull, Marshall and McClean all currently not in the first 11 our midfield really does look very strong indeed.

[quote user="RUDOLPH FARKE"]Neil Adams gave young players a chance. I thought Hucks was referring to Alex Neil - who certainly didn''t (James Maddison in particular).

From what I have seen of Cantwell his pass and move and playing on the move set him apart. He could be exceptional.[/quote]

Apologies to all especially Hucks! He did of course refer to Alex Neil not Neil Adams. To those who have queried which young players he was talking about the answer is that we just don''t know. But I would say that Maddison being sent out on loan was a huge mistake and probably the best example

[quote user="RUDOLPH FARKE"]Neil Adams gave young players a chance. I thought Hucks was referring to Alex Neil - who certainly didn''t (James Maddison in particular).

From what I have seen of Cantwell his pass and move and playing on the move set him apart. He could be exceptional.[/quote]

Yeah, the reference surely was Alex Neil. I think in time Neil Adams would have brought the youth through, given he''d worked with many of them!

Problem is the timing was wrong for Neil Adams. I still think he could make a manger.

With regard to Todd, I''ve not been as convinced. But Forest was definitely he most effective game for us. It''s easy to forget that young players take time sometimes, and need to make mistakes to learn. Many, including myself, are guilty of that.

I do think that his true position is central behind the striker. Being out wide, his lack of pace leaves us exposed, his defensive awareness isn''t great and he often fails to track back effectively.

Centrally though, Cantwell is at home. His best work on Saturday came when he migrated inside. I don''t want to Farke to try and improve his defensive game, I want to maximise his attacking ability. A bit like Wes, don''t try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

When fit, I''d still like to see Ben Marshall given a run in the wide advanced role. Given Steiperman''s subdued performance sat, perhaps Cantwell can start there tomorrow in his place. And this isn''t taking Buendia into account, who again I believe is suited more centrally!

I think you have to remember where we are and where we were when considering the use of youngsters: the PL is much less forgiving as you are up against top players, and is perhaps less of a place to blood youngsters - so lots from the PL are given a season or more down in the Championship. It follows that when we were PL we pretty much did what is the norm by sending Josh/Jacob/whoever out for a season. The issue is what you do in the Champs. I think in hindsight Madders could have come straight in; Max and Jamal have come straight in; but Todd did have his spell on loan last season.

[quote user="lincoln canary aka Golden Coppel"] ....... I don''t want to Farke to try and improve his defensive game, I want to maximise his attacking ability. A bit like Wes, don''t try to fit a square peg in a round hole...... [/quote] So you''d like to make young Cantwell, at the start of his career, as unselectable at the top level as Wes became towards the end of his? 

Webber has spoken quite a bit about the fact we didn''t have a pathway or a plan in place to take youngsters from the youth team into the first team. The likes of Toffolo and McGeehan and Rudd spring to mind in that they seemed to excel at youth level but were never given much of a sniff at first team level.

The 2 through balls to Onel and 1 to Lewis near the end (only seen the highlights) is hopefully what we''ll see more of. Through balls that precise to players of raw pace can open up any team and it means Todd has an option on the overlap and on the right wing/ centre. Exciting stuff indeed!

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="lincoln canary aka Golden Coppel"] ....... I don''t want to Farke to try and improve his defensive game, I want to maximise his attacking ability. A bit like Wes, don''t try to fit a square peg in a round hole...... [/quote] So you''d like to make young Cantwell, at the start of his career, as unselectable at the top level as Wes became towards the end of his? [/quote]

Snoop Dog wannabe in missed point shocker.

For me the great thing about Cantwell is how good he''s looking despite the fact that he only made his first team league debut a month or so back. The last time I saw a player come in from the youth team and look this exciting was Craig Bellamy.

I believe Todd''s sister also plays football and is supposedly quite good too. She plays for the Cambridge Utd women''s team.
It''s in the fam [:D]

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="RUDOLPH FARKE"]Neil Adams gave young players a chance. I thought Hucks was referring to Alex Neil - who certainly didn''t (James Maddison in particular).

Apologies to all especially Hucks! He did of course refer to Alex Neil not Neil Adams. To those who have queried which young players he was talking about the answer is that we just don''t know. But I would say that Maddison being sent out on loan was a huge mistake and probably the best example[/quote]

Middleton perhaps? (Was that on Alex Neil''s watch?) One minute the next big thing, next he''s released on a free.

Remember that Alex Neil came with a reputation for young lads getting their chance at Hamilton, and Adams before him was obviously our youth coach. With Farke''s previous experience being with youth football it now seems clear the board have been looking for someone who would make the academy fruitful for some time

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Middleton perhaps? (Was that on Alex Neil''s watch?) One minute the next big thing, next he''s released on a free.

Remember that Alex Neil came with a reputation for young lads getting their chance at Hamilton, and Adams before him was obviously our youth coach. With Farke''s previous experience being with youth football it now seems clear the board have been looking for someone who would make the academy fruitful for some time[/quote]
Middleton was this January, under Webber.
Middleton wanted to be involved with the first team and was told that there were others ahead of him. From the photos I saw it looked like he had a bit of a belly on him.

Cantwell is definitely starting to show Maddison-like touches on the park. He won''t be taking our free kicks as Leitner has that covered, but IMO he''s starting to provide the same kind of close control and incisive passing that Maddison did.

Interestingly, the main difference I see at this time is his body language, Maddison had an arrogance about him that all great players do, whereas Cantwell still appears to have an "I can''t believe I''m in the first team" kind of body language when he doesn''t have the ball.

Cantwell isn''t at Maddison''s level yet for sure, but his confidence is clearly growing and I''m looking forward to see where he''s headed. Get a decent hair cut and a bang in a couple of goals from just outside the 18 yard box and we may be there... wonder where his best position is going to be?

the one thing I have noticed about cantwell ishe doesn''t look so slight and when on the ball looks a real presence going forward

[quote user="Surfer"]Cantwell is definitely starting to show Maddison-like touches on the park. He won''t be taking our free kicks as Leitner has that covered, but IMO he''s starting to provide the same kind of close control and incisive passing that Maddison did.

Interestingly, the main difference I see at this time is his body language, Maddison had an arrogance about him that all great players do, whereas Cantwell still appears to have an "I can''t believe I''m in the first team" kind of body language when he doesn''t have the ball.

Cantwell isn''t at Maddison''s level yet for sure, but his confidence is clearly growing and I''m looking forward to see where he''s headed. Get a decent hair cut and a bang in a couple of goals from just outside the 18 yard box and we may be there... wonder where his best position is going to be?[/quote]
Imo he is a different kind of player than Maddison, has more pace about him than Madisson and delivers the ball early which is a big help to runners off the ball.   Nothing wrong wih his haircut either, if that is how he wants it, but I agree about a goal, it would give him that extra feeling of confidence. Goals will come sooner or later though, not really an issue as long as the team is playing well and picking up points.

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]More pace than Maddison? Not sure about that, I think Cantwell''s lack of pace stands out. Fortunately, he has quick feet, and has enough in the first yard to beat a man.

Cantwell is more comparable to Wes than Madders, sharing similar strengths and weaknesses IMO.[/quote]
Maddison has no pace about him to speak of imo, but plenty of control over the ball, quick feet and a good awareness of space.  Watching Cantwell in the last few weeks I have seen a player who yes, has good close control, but has the ability to get away from players too, his length of stride giving him the pace that Maddison hasn''t.  I can''t see him as being like Wes either, his attitude is always to get the ball quickly in to someone else, Wes was often about just keeping hold of the ball and waiting, often too long, for the right pass.    Cantwell, in his current form is exciting to watch, quick and direct with his passing - and a combative player too, with the ability to tackle and do the hard work to help the team.  Neither like Wes or Maddison, he is just himself. 

Agree he is nothing like Wessi. I see a bit of the madders about him but he is still raw whereas maddison had more polish to his game.

Hed do well to watch Adomah in terms of defensive play. Theyre different players on the ball going forward but Adomah is doing a brilliant job tracking back and making it hard for Aarons etc. Cantwell could do with develooing his defensive positional sense a bit more and hes a bit blood and thunder in the challenge too.

Cantwell is not a wide player. He needs to be central, he keeps naturally drifting there. He isn’t defensively aware, as per my earlier point, and it leaves us exposed. It nearly cost us another goal.

Plenty to admire, but he’s beening played out of postion imo.

I think it’s the same with Buendia too.