Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Norwich villa match thread

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Good win tonight against a decent Villa side who knew as much as us about passing the ball around.

It shook off the memory of the defeat against the far more defensive set up that was the Stoke side.

I thought that Grealish stood out tonight and justified all the hype surrounding him for once, as it was the best I''ve seen of him.

Leitner and Aarons were both superb, but you have to acclaim the player who scored the two goals that won the points.[/quote]
Surprised to see anyone say that, I thought Grealish was absolutely awful.

Grealish was decent I thought. He drew several folks in dangerous areas which Villa were poor at capitalising on. Yet for me he slows the game down ....that suited me tonight. Preferred our style....

Given the hype about Grealish comparing him with Maddison last season, was expecting much better from him than what he showed tonight. I expected him to be a real danger man and with the quality of players around him, expected a better performance from him. 
But it''s not just Grealish, from what I have seen in recent weeks, even the best teams with the best players can''t cope with the way we play.  They get some joy, but we have enough to nullify them by the end of the match and make very good players in the opposition teams look ordinary - and in the process, because we have been scoring too, picking up the points.

Grealish may as well have been stood at a bus stop sticking his leg out into the road. Not a diver, but genuinely frustrating to watch as his gameplan seems to be to look for a foul every time.
Yes, yes, Holt had a habit to look for the foul and Maddison went down easy but both of them often looked the most influential player on the pitch for other reasons. Grealish is just an asset that wins free kicks.

IMO Grealish had a decent 20 minutes or so after Hourihane went off, prior to that he was pretty anonymous. Even in the last 20 minutes, although he gained several free kicks, his passes and shots were terrible. He''s no James Maddison for sure.

The best Villa players for me were Tuazebe, Hourihane and El Ghazi, the latter especially looked deadly.