Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Great result from a ever improving team

Great result can''t believe how well we are playing at the moment,for the first time in ages there is lots to look forward to .

Well done to manager and team ,also fans were terrific .

First game I''ve watched in ages and yes playing a lot better in the same vain as before. It can be frustrating watch though with all the side ways passing and stopping on ball and not playing it forward faster, but is beatiful when it works(2nd goal)

I feel it was a really important result as to be honest we weren''t at our best but still managed to get three points against a team with some dangerous attacking players and who are potentially in the midst of a new manager bounce.

The key now really is that we have the ability to take the sting out of games and stop teams building momentum against us because we can retain the ball and take the pressure off. It is becoming apparent that Leitner is a class above and fast becoming a crucial player for us.

In terms of negatives I think last night showed how important Tettey is for us and that we don;t quite have a replacement of the same calibre. He m.just gives us such solidity and I felt we never quite had a grip on the game last night without him. Although Trybull is decent and grew into the game there were several occasions (including the move leading up to the corner for their goal) where Villa players were allowed to run significant distances at our back 4 unchallenged and (whilst I think it was more due to cantwell and Buendia not tracking back or the full backs getting caught upfield) thats the space he would usually be in breaking up the play. That we were able to win without him is therefore very promising. I also felt we gave away far too many stupid free kicks in our own final third and a team with better set pieces may have punished us. Cantwell and Stieperman also not at their best for me although they certainly weren;t bad. Feel really sorry for Thompson as well

The positives are that without Tettey, and without Pukki, Marshall, McClean, Hanley and Hernandez (all arguably first team contenders/starters) we beat a team who will be in and around the top 6 come May. We again played some very nice stuff going forward, we were able to come from behind again (unheard of last season) and we managed the last 15 minutes of the game with a minimum of fuss. we have two goalscoring strikers and with the kids that have come through we have plenty of options. there is no outstanding team in this league and in my view we have as much chance of finishing in the top two or top 6 as anyone else.

I think we stand on very different parts of the NCFC positive/negative spectrum Jim, but I find it hard to argue with much that you''ve said. In particular, I''ve never been a big Tettey fan but he has been excellent this season, and we do miss him when he''s not there. It''s as if he has personally taken to the swifter, more positive play we''re now seeing, with more forward passing (!), looking for advantage and sometimes pushing forward when he has the ball, rather than safety first. Also, he really has taken to the role of being a senior player, encouraging the rest of the team, especially the youngsters. And I love the cries of shoot whenever he''s remotely near the opposition goal!

Buendia impressed me last night up until now I was just meh on him but he growing into a little tenacious handful

very strong for his size

As I see it, Tettey is playing better because his role has altered, reflecting evolution elsewhere in the team. In particular, the youngsters paired on the flanks have improved in defensive energy, awareness and discipline while, alongside Tettey, Leitner has assumed more defensive responsibility (the key to DF being able to dispense with the two DMs previously needed to shore up the defensive weaknesses on the flanks). As a result, Tettey is allowed greater freedom to play his natural game. If you add the great job the fitness coaches and medical staff seem to have done on his suspect knee, and the settling effect of a new contract, we''ve now got a Tetty playing at his best.